Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Installing a new stock rom or doing OTA updates your baseband?

i'm AOKP on my Nexus 4 atm. I've heard that even if you do OTA for custom rom or flash a new custom rom like cyangomod mod or another AOKP rom, the baseband WOULD NOT be updated but rather it keeps the baseband that your phone originally came with, i was told custom roms can't change your baseband.

However, i was also told that installing a new stock rom like going from stock 4.3 to 4.4 would update your baseband. Or if you're on stock 4.3 and do an OTA upgrade to 4.4, it would also update your band.

so custom roms can't update or change your baseband via OTA or flashes and Stock roms can?

Global Posts
    1,139 Global Posts
    ROM
    Purity with Hells-Core

Default Re: Installing a new stock rom or doing OTA updates your baseband?

Quote Originally Posted by jinjin12 View Post
    i'm AOKP on my Nexus 4 atm. I've heard that even if you do OTA for custom rom or flash a new custom rom like cyangomod mod or another AOKP rom, the baseband WOULD NOT be updated but rather it keeps the baseband that your phone originally came with, i was told custom roms can't change your baseband.

However, i was also told that installing a new stock rom like going from stock 4.3 to 4.4 would update your baseband. Or if you're on stock 4.3 and do an OTA upgrade to 4.4, it would also update your band.

so custom roms can't update or change your baseband via OTA or flashes and Stock roms can?
    Short answer is they could, but custom ROMs do not include the baseband radios for a multitude of reasons, and stock ROMs are complete phone images of all components of the phone... You can update just the radios yourself, look here: [REF] [RADIO] Mako modem collection - xda-developers
    Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on Cricket/Aio (Purity ROM with hells-Core Kernel)
    Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (AICP 6.0 ROM)
    Current Tablet: iPad 4/Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
    Other phones "in the family": HTC One (M7), Moto G GPE, LG G2
    Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria/Incredible 2/Rezound/DNA, Samsung Stratosphere, SGS2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P