Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By UJ95x
  • 1 Post By Eclipse2K
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 2 Post By B. Diddy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question transferring data to new google phone

looking at changing to a Nexus 5 from a Nexus 4.
    i currently use "backup & restore" to backup data (app data, WiFi etc) and "automatic restore".
    so i assume when i log in to the Nexus 5 with my Google account that all the backed up data from Nexus 4 will be available to the Nexus 5? (upon installing my apps all my app data will be pulled down from the backup?).

which leaves some other things to consider.
    1) txt/sms messages in hangouts - will i need to manually back these up and import on to new phone?
    2) whatsapp messages - again, manually backup and restore to new phone using the backup file?
    3) photos (camera, whatsapp images etc.).... again will these have to be a manual backup and restore?

everything else is stored in Google account (contacts, calender etc.) so no problem there.

one other question, when i log into my Google account on the new device i will start to download all my apps. will it download every app i have previously purchased? or just the apps that i had currently installed on the nexus 4? i have bought many apps but only some are currently installed (some are install, use once then delete etc.).

Global Posts
    5,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Default Re: transferring data to new google phone

Quote Originally Posted by chenks View Post
    looking at changing to a Nexus 5 from a Nexus 4.
    i currently use "backup & restore" to backup data (app data, WiFi etc) and "automatic restore".
    so i assume when i log in to the Nexus 5 with my Google account that all the backed up data from Nexus 4 will be available to the Nexus 5? (upon installing my apps all my app data will be pulled down from the backup?).

which leaves some other things to consider.
    1) txt/sms messages in hangouts - will i need to manually back these up and import on to new phone?
    2) whatsapp messages - again, manually backup and restore to new phone using the backup file?
    3) photos (camera, whatsapp images etc.).... again will these have to be a manual backup and restore?

everything else is stored in Google account (contacts, calender etc.) so no problem there.

one other question, when i log into my Google account on the new device i will start to download all my apps. will it download every app i have previously purchased? or just the apps that i had currently installed on the nexus 4? i have bought many apps but only some are currently installed (some are install, use once then delete etc.).
    I'm pretty sure it only downloads what you currently have installed. As far as app data, I'm not sure about the app you're using, but Helium backs up app data for sure so that would be a good option.
    For pictures I'd use either Google + or Dropbox.
    The whatsapp messages will probably have to be backed up manually

Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    I'm pretty sure it only downloads what you currently have installed. As far as app data, I'm not sure about the app you're using, but Helium backs up app data for sure so that would be a good option.
    For pictures I'd use either Google + or Dropbox.
    The whatsapp messages will probably have to be backed up manually
    when i said app data backup i meant the built-in android backup, it backs up app data to your google account.
    for photos, i would want all the photos that are currently in the camera roll to be transferred over the new phone's camera roll - i want them transferred, not just backed up and moved elsewhere.

transferring data to new google phone-screenshot_2014-02-07-08-39-59.png
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

anyone else?

Global Posts
    5,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

when i said app data backup i meant the built-in android backup, it backs up app data to your google account.
    for photos, i would want all the photos that are currently in the camera roll to be transferred over the new phone's camera roll - i want them transferred, not just backed up and moved elsewhere.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-02-07-08-39-59.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	103752
    Those don't backup app data like game saves, at least not when changing devices. You need something like Helium or an app that has cloud saves in order to move that stuff over

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

then what does it mean when is says "when re-installing an app, restore backed up settings and data".
    where is it saving this "backed up" data to?

the first part clearly says it is backing it up to google servers.

Global Posts
    5,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

then what does it mean when is says "when re-installing an app, restore backed up settings and data".
    where is it saving this "backed up" data to?

the first part clearly says it is backing it up to google servers.
    That's only when you reinstall the all on the same phone. Games that don't support cloud saves won't transfer over when you change phones, regardless of whether or not you used the same G-Mail account

VDub2174 likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    That's only when you reinstall the all on the same phone. Games that don't support cloud saves won't transfer over when you change phones, regardless of whether or not you used the same G-Mail account
    that doesn't sound right surely.
    so if i had to replace a damaged nexus 4 with another nexus 4 then the backup/restore would be useless then......

that doesn't sound right surely.
    so if i had to replace a damaged nexus 4 with another nexus 4 then the backup/restore would be useless then......
    I've been through this process many times. Despite what it says I've only had it redownload the applications and my home screen wallpaper. Any contacts linked to Gmail will of course sync back up too. All data including log in or preferences (such as my location preferences on Weatherbug) do not restore.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)
    VDub2174 likes this.

The Automatic Backup & Restore option has never been explained fully, nor does it seem to be foolproof. See this article (which, granted, is a little old, from 2012):
    UJ95x likes this.

And here's some more detailed information for developers--it sounds like for apps, it's up to the developer to register for the Android Backup Service.
    VDub2174 and UJ95x like this.