Google Maps navigation always starts me off at the same wrong location :/

Noga Shacham

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Hey,
My problem might have a very simple solution but I just can't seem to work it out.

In Google maps, my current location is recognized but when I want to navigate from My Location to somewhere else it always starts the rout from a very random place about 70 km away from where I am, and always from the same place (A North Face store for some reason).

Any help would be very appreciated!

Noga.

Last edited by a moderator:

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: Google maps navigation always starts me off at the same wrong location :/

Hey,
My problem might have a very simple solution but I just can't seem to work it out.

In Google maps, my current location is recognized but when I want to navigate from My Location to somewhere else it always starts the rout from a very random place about 70 km away from where I am, and always from the same place (A North Face store for some reason).

Any help would be very appreciated!

Noga.
Odd... have you tried going to Settings->Apps->Maps and Clear Data on the apps and restart?

Noga Shacham

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site

Odd... have you tried going to Settings->Apps->Maps and Clear Data on the apps and restart?

Hey, thank you for replying. I did what you suggested, then tried to navigate and it worked, after a while I tried again and it went back to direct me from the same wrong location...

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Hey, thank you for replying. I did what you suggested, then tried to navigate and it worked, after a while I tried again and it went back to direct me from the same wrong location...

Very odd. If you disable WiFi for about a while before starting navigation does that make difference? Are you always starting navigation at the same place when it says your somewhere else?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
You could have not selected where to start from. There is a from location where you fill it in and then look for a route. Otherwise it just goes from the last location.

- Android Central App. N'oublions jamais l'Australie, Villers-Bretonneux.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
You could have not selected where to start from. There is a from location where you fill it in and then look for a route. Otherwise it just goes from the last location.

- Android Central App. N'oublions jamais l'Australie, Villers-Bretonneux.
@Fairclough has a point, when I do navigation I always just use the "long press" method and skip the navigation options screen (when you search and find your destination and the bottom of the screen shows the method and time, like a car with 12 minutes below it) just long press the car symbol and it will immediately take the quickest route and route from current location without giving you all the options.

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I am facing the EXACT same issue. Clearing the cache didn't help. Switching off Wi-Fi didn't help. Maps is picking up one particular location in my city as the starting point. I have never been to that point, never looked it up, never traveled from there - nothing. Then why? How do I get back to "My Location" taking my correct current location?

Posted via Android Central App

Chris Queen

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Same issue here as well. My wife and I had the exact same problem that started yesterday afternoon at the same time for both of our phones. I have cleared the cache, cleared data, rebooted both phones and still its putting our "My Location" on both phones at the same "wrong location" when we go to navigate. Like Mark Verheyden above I use mine for work daily as well. I find it strange that both my wife and I had the same issues at the exact same time. Neither phone had any kind of updates or new apps added when the issues started, well that I know of. I should say that the history on the phones are not showing any new updates or apps added when the issues started. Any info on what to do would be great.

pjc001

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Looking for a fix. My navigation now has me starting off in Tampa, Florida. I live in New Mexico. Tried everything. Nada so far.

Laurie C

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
My husband and I are both experiencing the same problem on our phones as well. Started yesterday for us too. Strangely enough, the walking and biking directions seem to start in the right place, it's only the driving directions that start at the wrong spot when you use "My Location" as the starting point (in spite of the blue dot knowing exactly where we are).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Jurjen de Vries

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I am a Google Maps top contributor and love to help. Thanks to Mark Verheyden who pointed me to the AndroidCentral forum from the Google Maps forum.

Can each of you please provide me with the following details
  1. Phone brand, type
  2. Version of Android
  3. Version number of Google maps (see Menu, Settings, About)
  4. Which location sharing settings you are using at your device (GPS, Wifi, Mobile networks)
  5. How far away (as the crow flies) is the given 'current location' located from the location you're at the moment

Best,
Jurjen de Vries

Alex A5

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi all

A simple trick worked for me, it wasto go in the Application Manager and to turn the application off, then back on (normally it will uninstall the updates, you can install them back if you want, the porblem didn't come back for me).

Hope it will work for you too

jkjellan

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Had the same problem after upgrading to new iOS 7.1.2.

Problem fixed itself after I updated to latest Google Maps version. Hope that works for others, too.

sachin kumar kundan

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi Vries

[*]Phone brand - HTC desire816 dual SIM CDMA + gsm android
[*]4.4.2
[*]Version number of Google maps 9.0
[*]Which location sharing settings you are using at your device (GPS, Wifi, Mobile networks) - all
[*]How far away (as the crow flies) is the given 'current location' located from the location - 24 km

Is this a hardware problem. Is this possible to fix. Or else I have to go for handset change. Because it's 2 days only I got this phone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2