Repair Nexus 4 with Screen Problem or Buy New Moto G

MarkInTX

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

My out-of-warranty Nexus 4 8GB has a 1/2-inch horizontal band across the screen that won't respond to touch. I've found varioius ways to work around this, but it is a PITA. Once in a blue moon, it will start "auto-tapping" things in this band for me very rapidly, and the only way to stop it is to cycle the power button a few times.

I've reached the point where I can't live with this anymore. I don't want to plunk down $350 for a Nexus 5, but since I'll be looking at replacing the screen to the tune of $150-$175 (correct me please if I'm off here), I thought I'd consider just getting a Moto G 8GB for $179 new.

StraightTalk (ATT) is my carrier, I primarily use my phone for web searches and email. The most demanding thing I run is probably Minecraft PE.

- Do you guys think I'd be better off fixing my 14-month-old Nexus 4 or simply buying a Moto G and selling the Nexus in its broken state?
- Is $150-$175 the right ballpark for the fix?
- What would I be able to sell my Nexus 4 for in its current condition?

Thanks in advance for your advice and opinions.

Mark
:'(

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

My out-of-warranty Nexus 4 8GB has a 1/2-inch horizontal band across the screen that won't respond to touch. I've found varioius ways to work around this, but it is a PITA. Once in a blue moon, it will start "auto-tapping" things in this band for me very rapidly, and the only way to stop it is to cycle the power button a few times.

I've reached the point where I can't live with this anymore. I don't want to plunk down $350 for a Nexus 5, but since I'll be looking at replacing the screen to the tune of $150-$175 (correct me please if I'm off here), I thought I'd consider just getting a Moto G 8GB for $179 new.

StraightTalk (ATT) is my carrier, I primarily use my phone for web searches and email. The most demanding thing I run is probably Minecraft PE.

- Do you guys think I'd be better off fixing my 14-month-old Nexus 4 or simply buying a Moto G and selling the Nexus in its broken state?
- Is $150-$175 the right ballpark for the fix?
- What would I be able to sell my Nexus 4 for in its current condition?

Thanks in advance for your advice and opinions.

Mark
:'(

The price is about right for the repair.

You should be able to get around $75 for your N4 with bad digitizer/screen on eBay... Local prices could vary a lot. I'd unload it.

Honestly, for that kind of money I would get the Moto G GPe, its an amazing phone and the battery life is phenomenal, plus you will have a warranty.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
The Moto G will lack some of the things the Nexus 4 have, it will be a little slower but unless you play games you shouldn't notice it much, also poorer camera. But it will superb battery so it's kind of a trade off.

You can get full screen assembly for the Nexus 4 for $65 on ebay if you want to try fixing it yourself.

If you don't mind losing a small amount of performance, but possibly 2 hours more screen on time, get the Moto G. A lot of people think the Google Edition isn't important, but I would absolutely go for Google Edition only. That ensure its easy to root and restore like a Nexus.

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I think the Nexus 4 is a better phone overall but I'm impressed with the Moto G especially at that price. The Moto G is more than enough for someone who isn't a power user, and doesn't lack in any meaningful way for the things I do with a smartphone.

MarkInTX

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all the info. I ordered a Moto G to replace the Nexus 4 and am off to post a listing for the Nexus.

I didn't know about the Google Play Edition of the Moto G until reading this thread, so thanks for putting it on my radar. I would always choose a pure android phone over one that wasn't, but in my case Amazon Prime would ship for free and had the 8GB in stock, which made me settle on the non-google play edition.

Anyhow, thanks again for your time and advice.

Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12