Major issues with Nexus 4

kurtisboyd

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
So lately my Nexus 4 has been screwing up to the point that I've had to use my old phone in place of it.

First it started with random signal loss. I'd be using the phone as usual and then all of a sudden the signal would drop out. At the beginning I could fix it with a reboot or (rarely) by toggling airplane mode on and off, but then it developed a mind of its own and signal would usually just cut out and stay disconnected even after a reboot, and only occasionally go back on (only to drop eventually again).

The battery is also shot - The phone will usually run for about 3-4 hours after a full charge (including standby time) and then just die. The battery will still show that the phone has almost 50% left but the phone will still shut down regardless, and when you turn it back on it says there is 0% battery and turns off again. Sometimes after leaving it off for a while I can turn it back on again and have 30%ish battery displayed, but then the phone will just die 5 minutes later. Occasionally after a full charge it will die within half an hour, or it will stay on for a few hours, it's always a gamble. Also the phone will sometimes turn off and on and be stuck in a reboot cycle until i hold the power button down long enough for it to shut down again.

The back of the phone has a big crack running from the lower left corner (when the back of the phone is facing me) to the camera that just appeared one day, and it kind of seems like the back of the phone has a slight bulge in the back where the crack is the high point of the bulge. It's very hard to notice the bulge but it's there.

What do you think is wrong with my phone? Sending it in to get replaced is such a hassle, I'd rather find a fix I can do myself.

I also got the screen replaced a few months ago at a non-LG or Google replacement place local to me, would that have voided my warranty? I bought the phone in September 2013.

Thanks y'all!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That doesn't sound too good. The bulge might represent a bad battery (one of the ways to tell with a removable battery is to spin it on a table--if it spins freely, there's a bulge in the middle, which means a bad battery). It's possible to replace the battery yourself, but it's a bit of a task: How To Replace The Nexus 4 Battery (It Can Be Done) [Android]

In the meantime, try a cache partition wipe if you haven't already--you won't lose any personal data: Reset: Google Nexus 4 | T-Mobile Support

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke