Will the Nexus 4 get Android 4.5? If not, is there a good chance we'll get a port from XDA?

jackadillo

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
Question says it all.

Rumor is that we can expect to see Android 4.5 to become available around June or July of this year. Assuming for a moment this is the case and taking into account the fact that this phone was released on November of 2012, is it safe to say this phone's outside Google's 18-month update cycle for Nexus phones?

If so, can we legitimately expect to see a port of 4.5 and perhaps even future updates to the Nexus 4 on XDA forums?

4ringsa6

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
I would think so since the n4 was released in Nov. After that would be the unsupported updates.

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I would definitely expect it to get the next update. If it doesn't, I can say with 99.9 % certainty that there will be 4.5 ROMs for the N4. Slim released a 4.4 ROM for the Galaxy Nexus a day after the Nexus 5 was released.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Illustrator Joe

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I would definitely expect it to get the next update. If it doesn't, I can say with 99.9 % certainty that there will be 4.5 ROMs for the N4. Slim released a 4.4 ROM for the Galaxy Nexus a day after the Nexus 5 was released.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

This for sure. Since kit Kat was optimized for lower spec phones I can only assume that 4.5 will also be geared at running efficiently as well. No reason the nexus 4 shouldn't be able to run it officially or not.

ಠ益ಠ

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Does the 18 month window go by release date? It would suck for someone to buy a Nexus 4 last year and have Google tell them they won't update a phone less than a year old.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
It will get Android 4.5 and XDA devs will probably continue to port AOSP for it for atleast 2 years from now, but probably longer, as long as they aren't stuck by some proprietary Qualcomm drivers or kernel features when Google no longer support the Nexus 4. While Google stopped supporting the Galaxy Nexus, I don't think they will do it as soon for the Nexus 4.

There is even KitKat for the Nexus S, which is over 3 years old. The Nexus 4 is only about 15months old.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I have a feeling it will be the last major update officially, however, developers will support it just because they like to twinkle.

- Android Central App. N'oublions jamais l'Australie, Villers-Bretonneux.

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I would expect the n4 to get official updates until the release of the nexus 6 or whatever it will be. There will always be unofficial support as this phone is still more than capable of running new software.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't see why the Nexus 4 wouldn't get the next few updates. It's finally a decent Nexus, with plenty of RAM and still a really good processor. The only reason I could see updates being dropped for it is if Qualcomm refuses to update drivers for newer versions. I just don't see that happening anytime soon.

Justin967

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Has Google ever officially said there window is 18 months? IIRC they aimed for two years as long it was possible. Certain hardware limitations limited the nexus one and S. And the since TI stopped there mobile SOC business there was nobody to supply the binaries officially. Should be interesting to see the excuse to stop the Nexus 4 because it holds up like new still and should for the foreseeable future.

Posted via Android Central App

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Has Google ever officially said there window is 18 months?

As far as I know -- and I ought to know because I cover the mobile industry as a journalist and analyst -- Google never officially said anything about N4 updates, including how long owners could reasonably expect them or whether the N4 would be the first to get them. There certainly were a lot of people on here and other sites assuming that the N4 would get updates first and for at least the next two years. But I never saw anyone back that up, such as with a Google press release or a press quote from a Google spokesperson.

1210saad

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't see why the Nexus 4 wouldn't get the next few updates. It's finally a decent Nexus, with plenty of RAM and still a really good processor. The only reason I could see updates being dropped for it is if Qualcomm refuses to update drivers for newer versions. I just don't see that happening anytime soon.

The sony experia z and zl both use the same CPU so if they get the 4.5 update I'm sure nexus 4 will.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance