Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By ph37rd
  • 1 Post By Unicorn Rancher
  • 1 Post By someguy01234
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Cutting the Cord?

I have a Nexus 4 on the $30 T-Mobile unlimited plan. I realized that I don't use my home internet much any more except for Netflix. Email and web is almost all on my phone. I have unlimited data (5GB fast) on my Nexus 4, so can I stream Netflix on my phone and watch it on my TV? Then I could cancel my home DSL to save money. I only watch a couple hours of Netflix each week, so it's worth $8/month but not $50/month.

I looked at Chromecast but I don't think that would work unless I keep my DSL. Is that right?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Cutting the Cord?

Netflix: Manage Bandwidth Usage

If you are interested in setting a limit on how much data our service will use, you can adjust your video quality setting. Navigate to*Netflix.com/VideoQuality*to manage the amount of data you use when playing movies and TV shows on Netflix.

There are 3 settings to choose from:

Good quality (uses up to 0.3 GB per hour)
    Better quality (uses up to 0.7 GB per hour)
    Best quality (uses up to 1 GB per hour, or up to 2.3 GB per hour if watching HD)

Doesn't seem practical to drop your DSL. Maybe one movie a month in HD leaving a bit for regular function.

With the N4, you can use a SlimPort adapter and hook you phone up to your HDMI port on your TV.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    UJ95x and tacdroid like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ph37rd View Post
    Doesn't seem practical to drop your DSL. Maybe one movie a month in HD leaving a bit for regular function.
    It's not practical to cut your DSL if you want to continue watching Netflix or other streaming services. However, if it's not worth the cost of DSL just for Netflix, cut away!

There's always redbox.
    tacdroid likes this.

I use over 100gb of bandwidth a month, sometimes reaching my comcast's 250gb/month bandwidth cap, so 5gb isn't going to be enough. I could see it for their unlimited data plan though.
    tacdroid likes this.

Maybe you should consider the MetroPCS $60 unlimited plan. They use T-Mobile network now, (or vice verse T-Mobile use their LTE). So the experience should be the same. I haven't try it out though.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks for the suggestions and the reality check on bandwidth guys.

It sounds like the winning combination in my situation is cancel DSL and Netflix. Even if I spend $20 on DVD rentals in a month, that's less than half what I pay now for Netflix (+DSL for Netflix.)