Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 4: How to boot to bootloader when the volume keys are broken?

HI All,

I have sadly dropped my nexus and the volume keys are broken, I want to try out the Ubuntu mobile OS but need to be able to use fastboot and as the volume keys are broken I cant get to the bootloader.

Is there any other way to do this, I have tried using the terminal commands "adb reboot bootloader" and "adb reboot-bootloader" but all I get is the "error: device not found" error message.

Any help, advice tips or directions on this will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

Global Posts
    4,693 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Kitkat

Default Re: How to boot to bootloader when the volume keys are broken ???

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gould View Post
    HI All,

I have sadly dropped my nexus and the volume keys are broken, I want to try out the Ubuntu mobile OS but need to be able to use fastboot and as the volume keys are broken I cant get to the bootloader.

Is there any other way to do this, I have tried using the terminal commands "adb reboot bootloader" and "adb reboot-bootloader" but all I get is the "error: device not found" error message.

Any help, advice tips or directions on this will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Tom
    Did you check to see if you had ISB Debugging on?

Sent from my AT&T One X running CodefireX ROM Android Version 4.4.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Hi Wizzrah, Yeah I have developer mode enabled, and USB debugging is on, I am on Androiv -v 4.4.2
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Hi Wizzrah, Just got it working, thanks for the help
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

So my next challenge is accepting the terms of the unlocking without volume controls, I have looked at using:

adb shell input keyevent xxx

But when you are on the terms page adb is not able to see the device, fastboot is however.

I also tried using androidscreencast but again this requires that adb can conect to the device.

I was hoping to be able to run the "sudo fastboot oem unlock" command with a flag to auto accept the terms but this did not work either eg "sudo fastboot oem unlock -y"

Anyone got any clue how to send a volume up command to the phone from the computer that it is connected to ???

Global Posts
    4,693 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Kitkat

Default Re: Nexus 4: How to boot to bootloader when the volume keys are broken?

You say adb is not working? Do you have the files and do you have the drivers for the phone installed?

Sent from my AT&T One X running CodefireX ROM Android Version 4.4.

Default Re: Nexus 4: How to boot to bootloader when the volume keys are broken?

Try setting up adb by this: Install ADB And Fastboot Android Tools In Ubuntu Via PPA ~ Web Upd8: Ubuntu / Linux blog
    or step 1 and 2 from here: Ubuntu 12.04 - Install Android Tools (ADB, Fastboot, ...)

This is what I have for my /etc/udev/rules.d/99-android.rules file:
    #nexus4 recovery
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="d001", MODE="0666", OWNER=" your user name "

#nexus4 fastboot
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="4ee0", MODE="0666", OWNER=" your user name "

#nexus4 mtp
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="4ee1", MODE="0666", OWNER=" your user name "

#nexus4 adb
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="4ee2", MODE="0666", OWNER=" your user name "
    Also I fixed my N4 volume buttons after a drop: Nexus 4 - Simple fix after volume buttons stopped responding.
    And you can get a replacement from here: Volume Button Key Switch PCB Replacement Fix Repair for LG Nexus 4 E960 New | eBay