Does rooting kill battery?

1210saad

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking of rooting my nexus 4 to enable 4G, but I have a question will rooting effect my battery life?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking of rooting my nexus 4 to enable 4G, but I have a question will rooting effect my battery life?

In really simple terms, not really. With root, you can remove apps that are hogging battery life, but I don't think a Nexus device has bloat...

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Rooting by itself? No

But why do you have to root to get 4G (HSPA+)? Do you mean 4G/LTE via hybrid radios? That could cause your battery to drain faster in some instances... Rooting isn't necessary to enable LTE, just an unlocked bootloader.

1210saad

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Rooting by itself? No

But why do you have to root to get 4G (HSPA+)? Do you mean 4G/LTE via hybrid radios? That could cause your battery to drain faster in some instances...

Wait HSPA+ is 4G? I guess I mean 4g/LTE.

1210saad

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Will I be able to update my phone if I root? Im going to root on android 4.4.2 and I heard a new update is about to come.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Wait HSPA+ is 4G? I guess I mean 4g/LTE.
Depending on who you ask, like AT&T and T-Mobile will tell you HSPA+ is 4G... but more like 3.5G, or 3G on steroids, would be more accurate. LTE is true 4G. Remember that the Nexus 4 only supports Band 4 LTE, which is most T-Mobile areas and a very few AT&T areas, otherwise the LTE in the Nexus is not of any use. If you are on TMo, you will likely notice a big difference in speed if you are in an LTE area with good signal, if you are on AT&T you may not notice quite a difference (assuming you are in one of the dozen or so areas in the country AT&T has Band 4 LTE).

Will I be able to update my phone if I root? Im going to root on android 4.4.2 and I heard a new update is about to come.
The answer is a definite maybe... sorry, but we don't know what will change with an update, it may or may not work. The first thing you would need to do is unlock, which will wipe the device clean, everything will be returned to the factory default. Once that is done you can install updated radios without rooting, by using adb commands and booting a recovery (not flashing it). But any change to the system will likely make an OTA update fail, but one of the beautiful things about a Nexus device is it is a simple thing to return to stock, update, or whatever at any time.

Just flashing the radios to allow for LTE could in itself stop the OTA from working too, so if you are going to do this, be prepared to do everything manually from now on. This isn't a huge deal and there are plenty of guides on how to do everything here an on most Android forum sites on the internet.

1210saad

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Depending on who you ask, like AT&T and T-Mobile will tell you HSPA+ is 4G... but more like 3.5G, or 3G on steroids, would be more accurate. LTE is true 4G. Remember that the Nexus 4 only supports Band 4 LTE, which is most T-Mobile areas and a very few AT&T areas, otherwise the LTE in the Nexus is not of any use. If you are on TMo, you will likely notice a big difference in speed if you are in an LTE area with good signal, if you are on AT&T you may not notice quite a difference (assuming you are in one of the dozen or so areas in the country AT&T has Band 4 LTE).

The answer is a definite maybe... sorry, but we don't know what will change with an update, it may or may not work. The first thing you would need to do is unlock, which will wipe the device clean, everything will be returned to the factory default. Once that is done you can install updated radios without rooting, by using adb commands and booting a recovery (not flashing it). But any change to the system will likely make an OTA update fail, but one of the beautiful things about a Nexus device is it is a simple thing to return to stock, update, or whatever at any time.

Just flashing the radios to allow for LTE could in itself stop the OTA from working too, so if you are going to do this, be prepared to do everything manually from now on. This isn't a huge deal and there are plenty of guides on how to do everything here an on most Android forum sites on the internet.

K thanks. I'm in Canada so im sure band 4 is supported here.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX