Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 1210saad
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Does rooting kill battery?

    I'm thinking of rooting my nexus 4 to enable 4G, but I have a question will rooting effect my battery life?

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
  2. #2  
    wizzrah's Avatar

    Posts
    4,348 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,362 Global Posts
    ROM
    CandyKat 4.4.4

    Default Re: Does rooting kill battery?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1210saad View Post
    I'm thinking of rooting my nexus 4 to enable 4G, but I have a question will rooting effect my battery life?

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    In really simple terms, not really. With root, you can remove apps that are hogging battery life, but I don't think a Nexus device has bloat...
    "The glow of one warm thought is to me worth more than money." - Thomas Jefferson



    My One X has served its time...now it's the Note 4's turn
  3. #3  
    acejavelin's Avatar

    Posts
    1,190 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,192 Global Posts
    ROM
    Purity with Hells-Core

    Default Re: Does rooting kill battery?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1210saad View Post
    I'm thinking of rooting my nexus 4 to enable 4G, but I have a question will rooting effect my battery life?

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Rooting by itself? No

    But why do you have to root to get 4G (HSPA+)? Do you mean 4G/LTE via hybrid radios? That could cause your battery to drain faster in some instances... Rooting isn't necessary to enable LTE, just an unlocked bootloader.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on Cricket/Aio (Stock Lollipop with hells-Core Kernel)
    Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (Snuzzo's Plain-Andy ROM)
    Current Tablet: iPad 4/Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
    Other phones "in the family": HTC One (M7), Moto G GPE, LG G2
    Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria/Incredible 2/Rezound/DNA, Samsung Stratosphere, SGS2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Does rooting kill battery?

    Quote Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
    Rooting by itself? No

    But why do you have to root to get 4G (HSPA+)? Do you mean 4G/LTE via hybrid radios? That could cause your battery to drain faster in some instances...

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Wait HSPA+ is 4G? I guess I mean 4g/LTE.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Does rooting kill battery?

    Will I be able to update my phone if I root? Im going to root on android 4.4.2 and I heard a new update is about to come.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
  6. #6  
    acejavelin's Avatar

    Posts
    1,190 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,192 Global Posts
    ROM
    Purity with Hells-Core

    Default Re: Does rooting kill battery?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1210saad View Post
    Wait HSPA+ is 4G? I guess I mean 4g/LTE.
    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Depending on who you ask, like AT&T and T-Mobile will tell you HSPA+ is 4G... but more like 3.5G, or 3G on steroids, would be more accurate. LTE is true 4G. Remember that the Nexus 4 only supports Band 4 LTE, which is most T-Mobile areas and a very few AT&T areas, otherwise the LTE in the Nexus is not of any use. If you are on TMo, you will likely notice a big difference in speed if you are in an LTE area with good signal, if you are on AT&T you may not notice quite a difference (assuming you are in one of the dozen or so areas in the country AT&T has Band 4 LTE).

    Quote Originally Posted by 1210saad View Post
    Will I be able to update my phone if I root? Im going to root on android 4.4.2 and I heard a new update is about to come.
    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    The answer is a definite maybe... sorry, but we don't know what will change with an update, it may or may not work. The first thing you would need to do is unlock, which will wipe the device clean, everything will be returned to the factory default. Once that is done you can install updated radios without rooting, by using adb commands and booting a recovery (not flashing it). But any change to the system will likely make an OTA update fail, but one of the beautiful things about a Nexus device is it is a simple thing to return to stock, update, or whatever at any time.

    Just flashing the radios to allow for LTE could in itself stop the OTA from working too, so if you are going to do this, be prepared to do everything manually from now on. This isn't a huge deal and there are plenty of guides on how to do everything here an on most Android forum sites on the internet.
    Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on Cricket/Aio (Stock Lollipop with hells-Core Kernel)
    Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (Snuzzo's Plain-Andy ROM)
    Current Tablet: iPad 4/Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
    Other phones "in the family": HTC One (M7), Moto G GPE, LG G2
    Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria/Incredible 2/Rezound/DNA, Samsung Stratosphere, SGS2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Does rooting kill battery?

    Quote Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
    Depending on who you ask, like AT&T and T-Mobile will tell you HSPA+ is 4G... but more like 3.5G, or 3G on steroids, would be more accurate. LTE is true 4G. Remember that the Nexus 4 only supports Band 4 LTE, which is most T-Mobile areas and a very few AT&T areas, otherwise the LTE in the Nexus is not of any use. If you are on TMo, you will likely notice a big difference in speed if you are in an LTE area with good signal, if you are on AT&T you may not notice quite a difference (assuming you are in one of the dozen or so areas in the country AT&T has Band 4 LTE).


    The answer is a definite maybe... sorry, but we don't know what will change with an update, it may or may not work. The first thing you would need to do is unlock, which will wipe the device clean, everything will be returned to the factory default. Once that is done you can install updated radios without rooting, by using adb commands and booting a recovery (not flashing it). But any change to the system will likely make an OTA update fail, but one of the beautiful things about a Nexus device is it is a simple thing to return to stock, update, or whatever at any time.

    Just flashing the radios to allow for LTE could in itself stop the OTA from working too, so if you are going to do this, be prepared to do everything manually from now on. This isn't a huge deal and there are plenty of guides on how to do everything here an on most Android forum sites on the internet.
    K thanks. I'm in Canada so im sure band 4 is supported here.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    acejavelin likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. Note 3 uses way too much battery!
    By Yas112 in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-28-2014, 06:35 AM
  2. Why does my SD card get erased every time my Galaxy S3 restarts?
    By Lucius Jenkins III in forum Samsung Galaxy S3
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-27-2014, 11:23 AM
  3. S 3 mini battery problem
    By Steve Hall1 in forum Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-25-2014, 12:09 AM
  4. Is Google + backup a battery killer?
    By Sonnydigs in forum AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-24-2014, 09:26 PM
  5. My S3 battery drains abnormally quickly
    By Ali Khan15 in forum Samsung Galaxy S3
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-24-2014, 12:18 PM

Posting Permissions