Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Dropped my phone in water

Phone fell into a puddle and I didn't realize it for about 10 seconds...phone turned on. But the earpiece isn't working. Cant hear any noise on the other end. Speaker phone works. Screen seems okay but did a few odd things. Sent a text and I guess the other person got the message about 7 times...I took the Sim card out and put it in some rice. I hope it'll be okay. But I'm not too optimistic...

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Dropped my phone in water

The best you could have done is immediately pulled the battery/powered down and put it in rice for about 24 hours. You may have already damaged it further. Hope for the best, water damage is completely unpredictable.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    The best you could have done is immediately pulled the battery/powered down and put it in rice for about 24 hours. You may have already damaged it further. Hope for the best, water damage is completely unpredictable.
    How do you pull the battery from a non removable battery device??

Quote Originally Posted by Karrott9 View Post
    How do you pull the battery from a non removable battery device??

That is why I mentioned pull the battery/power down, just for that reason because you can't.
    Paul

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    That is why I mentioned pull the battery/power down, just for that reason because you can't.
    I did shut it down.

I did shut it down.

All you can do then is hope for the best after letting it sit in rice for a good day. Although the things you mentioned that you tried immediately after it hit water may have been long enough to do more damage.
    Paul

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Think 15 hours should be good? Really need it tomorrow...

Global Posts
    8,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Think 15 hours should be good? Really need it tomorrow...

The longer you leave it off the better. If you turn it on and it's still not working then there's likely permanent damage that can only be fixed by replacement. Keep in mind that water damage often times affects more than just one component, so consider sending the device for repair and let the manufacturer decide on what to replace. It'll cost though, so know what they'll charge in advance.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    The longer you leave it off the better. If you turn it on and it's still not working then there's likely permanent damage that can only be fixed by replacement. Keep in mind that water damage often times affects more than just one component, so consider sending the device for repair and let the manufacturer decide on what to replace. It'll cost though, so know what they'll charge in advance.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    I tried it after 12 hours and the ear piece was working. I turned it back off and put it back in rice for the rest of the day. So it got rice treatment for about 24 hours. Everything seems okay for the most part. The power button doesn't always react and the charge port connection seems iffy at times. But that could just be the cord.

Global Posts
    8,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

I tried it after 12 hours and the ear piece was working. I turned it back off and put it back in rice for the rest of the day. So it got rice treatment for about 24 hours. Everything seems okay for the most part. The power button doesn't always react and the charge port connection seems iffy at times. But that could just be the cord.

That's good to hear - hopefully that's the extent of the problems and it's still able to be useable.