USB tethering works fine, but not bluetooth tethering

richstanton

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I have a nexus 4 and am connecting it to a dell venue pro 11 (windows 8.1). USB tethering works fine, but I can't tether via bluetooth. I pair the devices, and windows says I'm paired - I can transfer files, so I assume they are paired correctly. I then enable bluetooth tethering on my nexus 4, but nothing happens on windows - and I never get network access. According to google, I should be able to go to devices & printers, choose the nexus 4 & choose connect using access point, but the only option I have is connect using direct connection.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Should work. Sounds like you are close. You either have to also set up Portable Wi-Fi hotspot and/or Set up Wi-Fi hotspot in addition to enabling Bluetooth tethering. Once set up, on your PC you need to find the sign into network just like any other Wi-Fi network. I don't htink you go to devices & printers, but the SSID shows up with your other available wifi networks within range of your PC.

richstanton

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
My understanding is that wifi hotspot, usb tethering & bluetooth tethering are all different. I'd like to use bluetooth tethering rather than a wifi hotspot because it has lower battery requirements....

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
That could be. I don't have an active sim in my Nexus 4 at the moment (or one I can put in it) so I can't remember how I did before, but there is an extra step you have to take after you think you set everything up. I think when you connect your pc to your Nexus 4 via bluetooth it will appear everything is good to go, but you still have go go into a setting on your Nexus 4 bluetooth settings and approve the tethering. I just forgot how I did it.

Yes, it doesn't use as much battery and that is why I liked to tether with Bluetooth as well.

lordli

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
hi,

sorry for picking up this old thread, but i'm having exactly the same problem with my nexus 4 and win 8.1 tablet. :(
does anybody meanwhile solve this issue?

steps i did:
- enabled bluetooth on nexus 4 and win tablet
- enabled bluetooth tethering on the nexus
- paired the devices (sucessfully, tried file transfer -> works)
- but i can't tell the win tablet to use a bluetooth device for the internet connection..what step is missing?

thx for all help..

lordli :)

khaninayat93

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
Dear Richstanton,
I find out the solution of access point !! CHEERS !!
Hi. My name is Inayat and I'm from INDIA. It brings me pleasure to help u as even i faced the same issue what is described above in Windows 8.1. I searched a lot on web but found only the support i.e. u facing d same issue
;) n nobody i mean not even MICROSOFT Team on their blog mentioned about it. It took me 4 hrs to properly understand and recheck many times to come up to this-

1st step- go to control panel > Devices and Printers >Select ur Bluetooth Device, right click it and select "Connect Using" and u find Direct Connection.

Relax

2nd step- Right click on it and remove the android device paired n now
Go to Android Bluetooth Settings in ur Phone and Unpair ur PC

restart ur machine !!
meanwhile put androids bluetooth "visible to all devices" and in settings select bluetooth tethering and keep it on stand by till ur pc restarts

3rd step- Go to control panel > Devices and Printers > Add a device. ur pc will search the bluetooth device i.e. ur phone whose visibility is onn. Select it, match the pass codes on both pc n android and let it install (it will take some several minutes but not more than 5 min. if it takes long, just cancel it. n restart ur pc)

again restart ur machine !!
now once u done with it check whether the wifi is off. now go to Devices and Printers and select ur device and right click n select "connect using" and ul Have ACCESS POINT !!

now if still there is a problem. perform this step as 3rd step

NEW 3rd step- after restarting the machine go on the task bar on the desktop right click on bluetooth n select JOIN A PERSONAL AREA NETWORK > Add a Bluetooth device and complete the pass code match process and let it install (it will take some several minutes but not more than 5 min, if it takes long just cancel it n restart ur pc)

restart ur machine
now once u done with it check whether the wifi is off. now go to Devices and Printers and select ur device and right click n select "connect using" and ul Have ACCESS POINT !!

note: After any of the two 3rd step u need to restart the machine.

select the access point without a doubt as u have already setup the bluetooth tethering in android. give it a second or two to configure itself and the internet connection via bluetooth will be established.

NJOY :) IF U COME OUT SUCCESSFULL JUST REPLY HERE I WILL SHOW MY GF. :) ;-)

Warren Mandel

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
i have an ATT samsung S7 and there is no bluetooth tethering option. i called samsung and they said it doesnt come with it. so what is the real story? if i get phone unlocked, will i get the option back?? looking for a straight answer.

davidnyc

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Warren:

The S7 factory unlocked ROM has the bluetooth tethering option. Simply unlocking your device from AT&T won't be enough to get this, you will need to flash your device over to the G930U firmware using ODIN. This also has the benefit of removing all the AT&T carrier bloatware. There are some guides over on the XDA forums that can show you how to accomplish this.

Aidan Boyer

Feb 7, 2018
Visit site
Dear Richstanton,
Hi. My name is Inayat and I'm from INDIA. It brings me pleasure to help u as even i faced the same issue what is described above in Windows 8.1. I searched a lot on web but found only the support i.e. u facing d same issue
;) n nobody i mean not even MICROSOFT Team on their blog mentioned about it. It took me 4 hrs to properly understand and recheck many times to come up to this-

1st step- go to control panel > Devices and Printers >Select ur Bluetooth Device, right click it and select "Connect Using" and u find Direct Connection.

Relax

restart ur machine !!
meanwhile put androids bluetooth "visible to all devices" and in settings select bluetooth tethering and keep it on stand by till ur pc restarts

3rd step- Go to control panel > Devices and Printers > Add a device. ur pc will search the bluetooth device i.e. ur phone whose visibility is onn. Select it, match the pass codes on both pc n android and let it install (it will take some several minutes but not more than 5 min. if it takes long, just cancel it. n restart ur pc)

NEW 3rd step- after restarting the machine go on the task bar on the desktop right click on bluetooth n select JOIN A PERSONAL AREA NETWORK > Add a Bluetooth device and complete the pass code match process and let it install (it will take some several minutes but not more than 5 min, if it takes long just cancel it n restart ur pc)

restart ur machine

select the access point without a doubt as u have already setup the bluetooth tethering in android. give it a second or two to configure itself and the internet connection via bluetooth will be established.

I tried going through all that just like you said but it still only ever says "direct connection".

Jigglywiggle

Jul 12, 2018
Visit site
Dear Richstanton,

Relax

restart ur machine !!

restart ur machine

Hey thanks a lot! My laptop's Wifi antenna is weak now and only gets connection from 1 metre so i wanted to use internet via bluetooth but i was only getting "direct connection". After following your procedure i got it fully working! THANKS A LOT AGAIN !!!

MFLMiami

Jun 25, 2020
Visit site
Dear Richstanton,

Relax

restart ur machine !!

restart ur machine

Thanks, I had given up when I saw your post :)
I found that if I just do #3, it works. Adding the phone and then with subsequent connections.

harini6

Sep 16, 2020
Visit site
Dear Richstanton,

Relax

restart ur machine !!

restart ur machine

DAMN MAN INAYAT THIS WORKS!! I'm also from India. I created an account just to reply to you here. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

jotaele

Mar 13, 2024
Visit site
Dear Richstanton,

Relax

restart ur machine !!

restart ur machine

Thanks! It worked for me as of today 2024. Solved with "NEW 3rd step". God bless you.