Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default USB tethering works fine, but not bluetooth tethering

I have a nexus 4 and am connecting it to a dell venue pro 11 (windows 8.1). USB tethering works fine, but I can't tether via bluetooth. I pair the devices, and windows says I'm paired - I can transfer files, so I assume they are paired correctly. I then enable bluetooth tethering on my nexus 4, but nothing happens on windows - and I never get network access. According to google, I should be able to go to devices & printers, choose the nexus 4 & choose connect using access point, but the only option I have is connect using direct connection.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Global Posts
    697 Global Posts

Default Re: USB tethering works fine, but not bluetooth tethering

Should work. Sounds like you are close. You either have to also set up Portable Wi-Fi hotspot and/or Set up Wi-Fi hotspot in addition to enabling Bluetooth tethering. Once set up, on your PC you need to find the sign into network just like any other Wi-Fi network. I don't htink you go to devices & printers, but the SSID shows up with your other available wifi networks within range of your PC.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

My understanding is that wifi hotspot, usb tethering & bluetooth tethering are all different. I'd like to use bluetooth tethering rather than a wifi hotspot because it has lower battery requirements....

Global Posts
    697 Global Posts

That could be. I don't have an active sim in my Nexus 4 at the moment (or one I can put in it) so I can't remember how I did before, but there is an extra step you have to take after you think you set everything up. I think when you connect your pc to your Nexus 4 via bluetooth it will appear everything is good to go, but you still have go go into a setting on your Nexus 4 bluetooth settings and approve the tethering. I just forgot how I did it.

Yes, it doesn't use as much battery and that is why I liked to tether with Bluetooth as well.

hi,

sorry for picking up this old thread, but i'm having exactly the same problem with my nexus 4 and win 8.1 tablet.
    does anybody meanwhile solve this issue?

steps i did:
    - enabled bluetooth on nexus 4 and win tablet
    - enabled bluetooth tethering on the nexus
    - paired the devices (sucessfully, tried file transfer -> works)
    - but i can't tell the win tablet to use a bluetooth device for the internet connection..what step is missing?

thx for all help..

lordli