Nexus 4 not working after being dropped in the toilet, with a red light flashing while charging?

everydaysocloudy

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I recently dropped my nexus 4 in the toilet for a second and I immediately grabbed it (the phone was still working after being submerged in to the toilet) and dried it then placed it in a plate of rice for more than 24 hours but less than 30.
The day after (today) I bought a toolkit and disassembled my nexus 4 to find wet areas and such. To my surprise it was dry and all the indicators which tell whether or not the phone has had water damaged were all white (so no water damage/exposure to moisture).
After reassembling my phone I tried to turn it on, nothing happened (even tried the volume down), after plugging the phone in to a wall adaptor a red light appeared and was initially solid but is now blinking red.
Tldr; Phone was submerged in water for a second, but was immediately dried and placed in to rice for over 24hours, now there is a red light flashing. I was wondering if anyone knew the solution to this, thanks guys!

El_Piji

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Shoot. That sucks man. Not sure that plugging it in is such a good idea if there's still water inside. It's likely the water is causing a short somewhere. The only advice I can give is to try to find out how to get the battery out of your phone, then stick the phone in a ziplock bag of (dry) rice for a couple of days. The rice will act as a desiccant and suck the water out of the phone. If you can't get the phone open and the battery removed, try putting the whole phone in a bag of rice for a couple days.

Anyway, hope you can get it working again.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Did you do any disassembly other than simply removing the back? Did you remove the battery? Unplug any other connectors? If yes, then I would begin by opening it back up and checking all those connectors...

everydaysocloudy

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I actually only "reset" the battery but taking off the metal cover for the battery and connecting it again. Thanks for all the help guys, I actually brought it over to a local phone store and it's probably going to be fixed for 50 dollars. Apparently I broke the charging thing by plugging in the charger while it was still wet, and there is a possibility the battery is broken as well

Sai Mohan

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
It's called the red light of death. The battery cables may be damaged. The phone when plugged directs the current to charger and since in your Case the cables are probably damaged, the phone cannot detect the battery while being present. Get it to service center after assembling back like a original. If you're sure that the indicators are white, then don't tell them you dropped in the toilet.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech