Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Why AIO and Net10 are total Bull about email

I was on Net10 for one year and switched to AIO today because of an email sending issue.

I am only able to send email via WiFi.
    If I try to send via cell service neither of these two carriers assigns a hostname/reverse PTR associated with the IP address used to send the email

This is a problem if I use my regular ISP email. If I use web based email from the ISP there is no problem or if I send while on WIFi no problem.

I have never had this issue with any other carrier I have ever used over the past 20 years of using cell phones,

When I called Net10 or AIO they are totally clueless in how to solve the problem.

Does anyone here know how to solve this ?

Global Posts
    1,192 Global Posts
    ROM
    Purity with Hells-Core

Default Re: Why AIO and Net10 are total Bull about email

Quote Originally Posted by Double Tap View Post
    I was on Net10 for one year and switched to AIO today because of an email sending issue.

I am only able to send email via WiFi.
    If I try to send via cell service neither of these two carriers assigns a hostname/reverse PTR associated with the IP address used to send the email

This is a problem if I use my regular ISP email. If I use web based email from the ISP there is no problem or if I send while on WIFi no problem.

I have never had this issue with any other carrier I have ever used over the past 20 years of using cell phones,

When I called Net10 or AIO they are totally clueless in how to solve the problem.

Does anyone here know how to solve this ?
    I use Aio wireless, never had this issue with any email service, it works flawlessly with my ISP's email as long as I use the right setup.

What ISP do you use? Do they require different authentication method or server names when coming from outside their network (ie. mobile data network), this is common for ISP's, check with them and see (this would explain why WiFi works and mobile data does not). Here is an example of what I mean: Customer Resource Center -Midcontinent Communications serving the Dakotas, Minnesota and Wisconsin if I use their "standard" settings on my phone it fails, but if I use "Secure" it works fine. It is also possible that your ISP has had fraud/SPAM originate from Net10 or Aio servers and has denied those source IP's access to their servers, I would check with them as well.

This sounds more like an ISP mail issue than a carrier issue to be honest... Although it is not always the case, basic troubleshooting says if everything works on mobile data except one thing (in this case your ISP email) the trouble is specific to that service (your config or ISP).

That said, there are other ways around this, you can have Gmail pull your POP3 email and put it in a specific folder, or try another email client such as K-9 mail.
    Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on Cricket/Aio (Stock Lollipop with hells-Core Kernel)
    Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (Snuzzo's Plain-Andy ROM)
    Current Tablet: iPad 4/Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
    Other phones "in the family": HTC One (M7), Moto G GPE, LG G2
    Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria/Incredible 2/Rezound/DNA, Samsung Stratosphere, SGS2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
    I use Aio wireless, never had this issue with any email service, it works flawlessly with my ISP's email as long as I use the right setup.

What ISP do you use? Do they require different authentication method or server names when coming from outside their network (ie. mobile data network), this is common for ISP's, check with them and see (this would explain why WiFi works and mobile data does not). Here is an example of what I mean: Customer Resource Center -Midcontinent Communications serving the Dakotas, Minnesota and Wisconsin if I use their "standard" settings on my phone it fails, but if I use "Secure" it works fine. It is also possible that your ISP has had fraud/SPAM originate from Net10 or Aio servers and has denied those source IP's access to their servers, I would check with them as well.

This sounds more like an ISP mail issue than a carrier issue to be honest... Although it is not always the case, basic troubleshooting says if everything works on mobile data except one thing (in this case your ISP email) the trouble is specific to that service (your config or ISP).

That said, there are other ways around this, you can have Gmail pull your POP3 email and put it in a specific folder, or try another email client such as K-9 mail.
    The ISP is Everest Broadband IT Services and Support NYC, VOIP NYC, High Speed Internet NYC

I sent them what you wrote and I will see what they say.

Thanks for your suggestion. I am using Maildroid and I tried K-9 Mail and had the same problem

Lets see if the ISP tries to solve the problem

Global Posts
    1,192 Global Posts
    ROM
    Purity with Hells-Core

The ISP is Everest Broadband IT Services and Support NYC, VOIP NYC, High Speed Internet NYC

I sent them what you wrote and I will see what they say.

Thanks for your suggestion. I am using Maildroid and I tried K-9 Mail and had the same problem

Lets see if the ISP tries to solve the problem
    Hopefully they figure it out, I really don't think this is an Aio issue... To be honest, Aio seems to be the only major prepaid carrier that has really gotten their service down, it just works for everything I have done.
    Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on Cricket/Aio (Stock Lollipop with hells-Core Kernel)
    Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria/Incredible 2/Rezound/DNA, Samsung Stratosphere, SGS2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
    Hopefully they figure it out, I really don't think this is an Aio issue... To be honest, Aio seems to be the only major prepaid carrier that has really gotten their service down, it just works for everything I have done.
    It is definitely a problem with AIO. I had a trouble ticket opened yesterday afternoon and received a response from AIO this morning. This is a part of the conversation.

Felipe A: Unfortunately at this time the e-mail settings for your account are unsupported with Aio Wireless.
    Me: what does that mean ?
    Felipe A: That you will not be able to use this e-mail on Aio because it has different settings
    Me: If that is the case I want a refund of my activation fee and the fee for the sim card
    Felipe A: Please allow me a moment
    Felipe A: The thing is that your e-mail account is an Internet Service Provider one, we have information on this case that this type of account is also not working with AT & T, Straight Talk and Net10. For company policies we do not refund for sim card and plans
    Felipe A: That information is under our terms and conditions. I really apologize for this inconvenient

I did go to the store where I purchased the SIM card and got my refund.

I also used the work around by having one of my Gmail accounts setup to pull the email from my business account and reply to any of those emails as if I am replying from the business account. A bit of a pain in the assss, however it will work until we move the email host to a Gmail business account.

Global Posts
    1,192 Global Posts
    ROM
    Purity with Hells-Core

It is definitely a problem with AIO. I had a trouble ticket opened yesterday afternoon and received a response from AIO this morning. This is a part of the conversation.

Felipe A: Unfortunately at this time the e-mail settings for your account are unsupported with Aio Wireless.
    Me: what does that mean ?
    Felipe A: That you will not be able to use this e-mail on Aio because it has different settings
    Me: If that is the case I want a refund of my activation fee and the fee for the sim card
    Felipe A: Please allow me a moment
    Felipe A: The thing is that your e-mail account is an Internet Service Provider one, we have information on this case that this type of account is also not working with AT & T, Straight Talk and Net10. For company policies we do not refund for sim card and plans
    Felipe A: That information is under our terms and conditions. I really apologize for this inconvenient

I did go to the store where I purchased the SIM card and got my refund.

I also used the work around by having one of my Gmail accounts setup to pull the email from my business account and reply to any of those emails as if I am replying from the business account. A bit of a pain in the assss, however it will work until we move the email host to a Gmail business account.
    Good to know... I guess I was wrong.

Glad you found a work around though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk