Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default AIO wireless and LTE

I switched to AIO and I am wondering if they are using ATT LTE. If they are will rooting my Nexus 4 allow me to access the band of LTE that they use?

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: AIO wireless and LTE

99% no. There are a handful of cities that have limited geographic coverage for band 4 LTE. T-Mobile is your best choice for LTE on our phones.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    1,150 Global Posts
    ROM
    Purity with Hells-Core

Yes, Aio uses AT&Ts network, including LTE.

If you live in or spend much time in Phoenix, Raleigh, San Juan, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Oklahoma City, Dallas, Chicago or Charlotte, it might be worth it, these are the major areas where AT&T has Band 4 LTE, there are also a handful of smaller areas, mostly ones repurposed through acquisition that had Band 4 LTE previously.

Note you will see more battery usage, how significant varies. If you are in an area without AT&T Band 4 support and you flash the LTE radios and keep them active you will see significant battery drain.

To be honest, in real world usage I don't see a significant improvement in performance between HSPA+ and LTE, but that can vary a lot by the area.

Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on Cricket/Aio (Purity ROM with hells-Core Kernel)
    Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (AICP 6.0 ROM)
    Current Tablet: iPad 4/Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
    Other phones "in the family": HTC One (M7), Moto G GPE, LG G2
    Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria/Incredible 2/Rezound/DNA, Samsung Stratosphere, SGS2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
    Yes, Aio uses AT&Ts network, including LTE.

If you live in or spend much time in Phoenix, Raleigh, San Juan, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Oklahoma City, Dallas, Chicago or Charlotte, it might be worth it, these are the major areas where AT&T has Band 4 LTE, there are also a handful of smaller areas, mostly ones repurposed through acquisition that had Band 4 LTE previously.

Note you will see more battery usage, how significant varies. If you are in an area without AT&T Band 4 support and you flash the LTE radios and keep them active you will see significant battery drain.

To be honest, in real world usage I don't see a significant improvement in performance between HSPA+ and LTE, but that can vary a lot by the area.

Since I live in NYC I guess staying with HSPA+ is the way to go. I am not unhappy it's just that I thought I might get some improvement when not on WiFi

Global Posts
    1,150 Global Posts
    ROM
    Purity with Hells-Core

Like I said, it all depends on your market in some areas it'll be better in some areas worse. In New York City I do not believe that AT&T has band 4 LTE so it really wouldn't be of any benefit it all, in fact, it would be a detriment because it would just cause more battery drain for no gain whatsoever.

Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on Cricket/Aio (Purity ROM with hells-Core Kernel)
    Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria/Incredible 2/Rezound/DNA, Samsung Stratosphere, SGS2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
    Like I said, it all depends on your market in some areas it'll be better in some areas worse. In New York City I do not believe that AT&T has band 4 LTE so it really wouldn't be of any benefit it all, in fact, it would be a detriment because it would just cause more battery drain for no gain whatsoever.

Thanks for the info

Here in Chicago I get let with AIO. it's throttled to 8 mbps but my bars are usually full. For 55a month I'm happy with it.

Global Posts
    1,150 Global Posts
    ROM
    Purity with Hells-Core

Quote Originally Posted by DAVID ARGENTIERI View Post
    Here in Chicago I get let with AIO. it's throttled to 8 mbps but my bars are usually full. For 55a month I'm happy with it.

Oh yeah, there's that too... Aio isn't Go Phone or true AT&T, you will be throttled back to 8Mbps irregardless of the connection, even if you have 100 meg LTE, Aio restricts it to 8.

When I was on Go Phone I easily got 12-13Mbps on HSPA+, same location and signal strength on Aio I get about 7.5Mbps at max, but average around 5.

Yes, with throttling.