Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Battery physically bent when changing screen.

Hey everyone, last night I was changing a smashed screen on my Nexus 4. Everything went okay and my screen works fine now except I have one issue regarding the battery. When I was prying out the battery, I seemed to have a lot of trouble with the adhesive. I didn't think to use a hot air gun and instead pryed it out with just a tool and in the process I noticed the battery was bent (not drasically, but maybe by a few degrees).

The battery seems to be charging and holding charge relatively normally but I am still pretty concerned as I keep hearing horror stories about exploding Li-Ion batts. Could this happen due to a bent Li-Ion or are the appropriate safeties built in? The battery in this device is very soft compared to other device batteries I have come across and I am surprised I am not able to find out more information on this issue.

I would change the battery just to be safe but unfortunately I'm travelling soon and don't have time to wait for parts to come in... and I haven't exactly budgeted for a new phone

It may be good to mention that when I first fixed the screen, I had the 'red light of death' (to my understanding, this is power related) presumably just because my device battery had fallen to 0% when I smashed the screen and was unable to power down. I plugged in the phone into an outlet for ~30 mins, pressed power+volume keys and the red light disappeared and I was able to start the phone.

Default Re: Battery physically bent when changing screen.

Hey mate,

I had the exact same issue when fixing my screen today. I can't find any other information on this either, but I have the same concern. Did you end up replacing your battery or is it still running smoothly?

Any info would be very much appreciated

Cheers!

LiOn batteries which have been subject to any form of physical damage are a fire and explosion risk. If it were mine, I would give serious consideration to replacing it as soon as possible.

Global Posts
    614 Global Posts

I just went ahead and replaced mine. I still have the old one and it worked, but with eBay, batteries are cheap purchases.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Cheers, thanks for the help everyone! I have ordered a replacement battery and will install it ASAP

Thanks!