Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Exclamation Nexus 4 random shutdowns and restarts

Hi,

I bought a LG Nexus 4 in September 2013 and have enjoyed every single moment on use. (I have not played with the software or anything.) It has the latest version of Kitkat.
    However in the last few weeks certain problems have left me frustrated!

At present, after fully charging the Nexus 4 to 100% I expect it to last me at least 3-4 hours(with light use and no heavy battery draining apps running)..however this is not the case.
    After some usage the phone randomly shuts down and attempts to restart itself. It does not successfully restart and but it keeps on trying to restart over and over again.
    But when I put the phone to charge it successfully boots up then, but I see that the phone is already half charged! So if it is half charged then why is it not booting up? So after it reaches 100% I again remove it from charging, but with some use it turns off and tries to restart...This is very annoying cause I have to charge the phone like 5 times a day.
    This is not the only problem...
    At certain points when the phone is operating not on charging, I loose reception of my phone carrier at places where I used to get full reception . So I restart it and it suddenly ends up getting full reception at the same place. It gets extremely frustrating restarting my phone all the time.
    I also tried resetting the phone but both of the problem still persists.

Do you guys know what could be causing this or how I could fix this extremely frustrating issue?
    Cheers.

Default Re: Nexus 4 random shutdowns and restarts

it's a battery issue. I had the same problem with signal drops and sudden shut-downs. Change the battery and you'll enjoy your N4.

Was the battery pulled out from the case?
    Rikdp likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

No the battery has never been removed from the case. I actually do not know how to remove the back covering.
    Any tips or anything on how to change the battery?

Thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by Rikdp View Post
    No the battery has never been removed from the case. I actually do not know how to remove the back covering.
    Any tips or anything on how to change the battery?

Thanks for the help
    I want to touch on a couple things here...

1) Your battery should last significantly longer than 3-4 hours of light use... I get 12-18 hours of light use with about 2.5-3.5 hours of screen on time on my N4, you should expect similar results as my N4 is older than yours.

2) If you purchased it in Sept 2013 the device has a 1 year warranty, you could consider getting a repair or replacement from Google/LG

3) Replacing the battery is not difficult on the Nexus 4, although not what some people would call "easy" either"... There are multiple guides on the internet and videos on Youtube which can walk you through the process quite simply.

Although I do admit that this sounds like a hardware/battery issue... The first thing that I would do is factory reset and see if the problems continue, from there it is your call if you want to try to go warranty replacement or replace the battery.