What version do you end up with after a factory reset?

morethings

May 29, 2014
Visit site
If I do a factory data reset on my Nexus 4, will it end up with the latest Android version or the one that came with the phone, which I think was 4.2?

What I am trying to do is end up with 4.3 because that's what has been working fine up until today and I don't want 4.4 because Google removed App Ops.

If a reset gives me 4.2 is there a way to then get 4.3, maybe with a factory image from here? https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

(Actually 4.4 and 4.4.1 should still have App Ops but I don't want to risk it.)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Factory resets do not downgrade your version. You'll remain at the same version that you were on pre-reset.

morethings

May 29, 2014
Visit site
You'll remain at the same version that you were on pre-reset.

Wow that'd be great. thanks. Any idea what happens to my apps, given that Google Play is broken on my phone (stuck at "No connection - retry") and the Play Store when I log in from a web browser on a regular computer no longer has any record of my phone? i.e. it says I have no device connected to the account.

PS I tried the solutions people have found such as manually setting the time/date, clearing the cache and data of the Play Store app, removing then re-adding the Google account, etc.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
All of your apps will be removed from the phone during the factory reset. After the reset, you'll be prompted to log in with your Google account, so hopefully when you do it, it'll link up correctly, and you'll be able to reinstall all of your apps. If your Settings>Backup & reset>Automatic Restore option is checked, a lot of those apps may reinstall automatically. If they don't, you can easily go to My Apps in Google Play, select All, and then pick and choose the apps you want to reinstall.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech