Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mrsmumbles
  • 2 Post By acejavelin
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default [Q] N4 Broken Screen, Desperate, Kit Kat 4.4.2, Stock Everything, No USB Debugger

I just came back from my honeymoon and all of my pictures are on my N4. Of course before I pull the pictures, I drop the phone is the screen is cracked and the touch does not work anymore.

I'm really desperate to get these pictures. I've read all over online but my problems are this with all of the help out there:

My phone is the latest 4.4.2 on T Mobile.

It has stock EVERYTHING (bought straight form google), and the USB debugger is not enabled. (next phone I get this is the first thing I'm enabling.

I've been trying to follow instructions online but a lot of items have changed between last year and Kit Kat now and some steps such as unlocking the bootloader seems to wipe out everything on my phone.

I've been trying to use ADB and Freeboot but really havent gotten anymore.

I've also read that I can maybe use a usb mouse to substitute and unlock my phone? USB OTG? How do I know if my nexus has that enabled?

I'm even considering getting a new screen so I can try to replace the current one and get my photos. I dont care what happens to the phone but the pictures are priceless to me.

Is there any thread or guide that incorporates 4.4.2? the more detail the better of course.

Much thanks in advance.

Default Re: [Q] N4 Broken Screen, Desperate, Kit Kat 4.4.2, Stock Everything, No USB Debugger

Were the pictures possibly uploaded to your G+ account? I believe that's on by default, so very possibly if you check G+ your pictures may be there.

Edit: If the pictures are not online in your private G+ account, bring your phone to a good repair shop to get the screen replaced.

Also, yes, you can try connecting your phone to a computer and exploring it as a USB storage device. The pictures should be in the DCIM folder.
    Citizen Coyote likes this.

Global Posts
    1,099 Global Posts
    ROM
    Beanstalk with Hells-Core

Default Re: [Q] N4 Broken Screen, Desperate, Kit Kat 4.4.2, Stock Everything, No USB Debugger

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post
    Were the pictures possibly uploaded to your G+ account? I believe that's on by default, so very possibly if you check G+ your pictures may be there.

Edit: If the pictures are not online in your private G+ account, bring your phone to a good repair shop to get the screen replaced.

Also, yes, you can try connecting your phone to a computer and exploring it as a USB storage device. The pictures should be in the DCIM folder.
    ^^^This exactly... if your photos are not synced to G+, try to connect with a PC and navigate to the DCIM folder, if you can't for some reason, get the screen replaced by a reputable shop, locally if possible so you can explain the situation and they may be a little more careful, not that a screen replacement often fails by someone who knows what they are doing.

You can forget most of the other stuff you see online, like using a mouse or OTG or whatever, it won't work. And if you don't already have ADB debugging on, then you are pretty much out of luck trying to get them yourself.