Nexus 4 not booting without ext power, how to fix??

JoeSimms

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks,
Fortunately I've not had much necessity to post here for help. However, that's now change.

I am looking for suggestions on:
1) What might be the cause of an issue with my N4
2) What I might be able to do about it.

Here's the background:
- My N4 was working fine. Stock device, 4.4.2, no rooting, etc.
- The other day it spontaneously turned off. I was not able to turn it back on. "Google" would appear on the screen, but a few seconds later would vanish and device was off again.
- I did figure out I could turn it on (most of the time) when it was plugged into a power source. But detaching from that power source (whilst it was running) would result in it turning off within a couple of seconds at most.
- I managed to back up most of my data, whilst having it plugged in and turned on.
- A few days later device tells me there's a 4.4.3 update. I update it.
- Issue remains.
- I then try to initiate a factory reset.
- Device reboots during that process. But fails to restart.
- I could no longer restart it whether plugged in or not.
- It can sit in bootloader mode without being plugged in, for as long as it takes to run the battery down.
- It can't be in recovery mode without ext power.
- I load the TWRP recovery image. That is on and working fine.
- I can access the device with fastboot command (via Windows 7)... which is how I got the TWRP image on there.
- In recovery mode the device is not detected by windows, and adp command can't see the device.

This is about where I have come unstuck. I was attempting to sideload a clean Android 4.4.3 image onto the device. But I can't get ADB access to it. Tried on a Mac and a Windows 7 PC.

It's possible this whole issue is hardware related and I'll have to ditch the device, which is a bummer as I am not in a position to buy another smartphone for quite some time. BUT on the off chance it was a software issue, I was keen to at least try loading in a clean OS.

Does some kind person have any suggestions on steps I can from here?
I'd really like to recover this beast... it's my first and only smart phone, and would hate to drop to a cheap cell phone for the foreseeable future.

Thank you...

Joe

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois