Nexus 4 not booting without ext power, how to fix??
Fortunately I've not had much necessity to post here for help. However, that's now change.
I am looking for suggestions on:
1) What might be the cause of an issue with my N4
2) What I might be able to do about it.
Here's the background:
- My N4 was working fine. Stock device, 4.4.2, no rooting, etc.
- The other day it spontaneously turned off. I was not able to turn it back on. "Google" would appear on the screen, but a few seconds later would vanish and device was off again.
- I did figure out I could turn it on (most of the time) when it was plugged into a power source. But detaching from that power source (whilst it was running) would result in it turning off within a couple of seconds at most.
- I managed to back up most of my data, whilst having it plugged in and turned on.
- A few days later device tells me there's a 4.4.3 update. I update it.
- Issue remains.
- I then try to initiate a factory reset.
- Device reboots during that process. But fails to restart.
- I could no longer restart it whether plugged in or not.
- It can sit in bootloader mode without being plugged in, for as long as it takes to run the battery down.
- It can't be in recovery mode without ext power.
- I load the TWRP recovery image. That is on and working fine.
- I can access the device with fastboot command (via Windows 7)... which is how I got the TWRP image on there.
- In recovery mode the device is not detected by windows, and adp command can't see the device.
This is about where I have come unstuck. I was attempting to sideload a clean Android 4.4.3 image onto the device. But I can't get ADB access to it. Tried on a Mac and a Windows 7 PC.
It's possible this whole issue is hardware related and I'll have to ditch the device, which is a bummer as I am not in a position to buy another smartphone for quite some time. BUT on the off chance it was a software issue, I was keen to at least try loading in a clean OS.
Does some kind person have any suggestions on steps I can from here?
I'd really like to recover this beast... it's my first and only smart phone, and would hate to drop to a cheap cell phone for the foreseeable future.
Re: Nexus 4 not booting without ext power, how to fix??
Did you ever find a solution?
Just ran into this problem with Lollipop update.