N4 shuts off, won't turn on

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, so my N4 has done this twice now. I've had my N4 since release, and never had an issue until about 2 weeks ago it shut off and would not come back on. Today the same thing happened. I had to hold the power button +volume down button, of which a window prompt appears with a blue outlined arrow with START pointing to the power button. So, is this a clear sign my N4 is about to permanently bite the dust? Time to finally buy my N5 I have wanted for awhile?

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, so my N4 has done this twice now. I've had my N4 since release, and never had an issue until about 2 weeks ago it shut off and would not come back on. Today the same thing happened. I had to hold the power button +volume down button, of which a window prompt appears with a blue outlined arrow with START pointing to the power button. So, is this a clear sign my N4 is about to permanently bite the dust? Time to finally buy my N5 I have wanted for awhile?

I would think so. I would make one suggestion...how about upgrading to the Samsung S5? I have an S5 now but, before that I had the Nexus 4. I thought I would miss the pure Android experience, but I don't. I admit though that I'm not liking the Samsung and AT&T bloatware. I thought about getting the Nexus 5, but I couldn't get past the blandness of it. The Samsung Galaxy S5's 1080P Super AMOLED display is incredible. Just some of my opinions.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Hm. The fact that it always responds to a hard reset like that makes me think it may be software. I'd try going back to stock (if you aren't already) and doing a factory reset. If you don't want to do that, you could try uninstalling any apps you may have installed shortly before the problem occurred.

Does the phone die when you're doing anything specific, or is it random? If it dies when a specific hardware feature is in use (i.e. when GPS turns on, you take a picture, et cetera), that would lend credence to the faulty hardware theory.

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I would think so. I would make one suggestion...how about upgrading to the Samsung S5? I have an S5 now but, before that I had the Nexus 4. I thought I would miss the pure Android experience, but I don't. I admit though that I'm not liking the Samsung and AT&T bloatware. I thought about getting the Nexus 5, but I couldn't get past the blandness of it. The Samsung Galaxy S5's 1080P Super AMOLED display is incredible. Just some of my opinions.

I had a Samsung S4 and disliked it. Only used it for a few months. The bloatware that phone (from T-Mobile) had bogged it down and hindered performance. So I decided to stick with the Nexus series. Besides, its like nearly a $300 price difference. Fool me once with a Samsung phone...

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Hm. The fact that it always responds to a hard reset like that makes me think it may be software. I'd try going back to stock (if you aren't already) and doing a factory reset. If you don't want to do that, you could try uninstalling any apps you may have installed shortly before the problem occurred.

Does the phone die when you're doing anything specific, or is it random? If it dies when a specific hardware feature is in use (i.e. when GPS turns on, you take a picture, et cetera), that would lend credence to the faulty hardware theory.

Well, the first time it happened, I dropped it. It was in an otter case though. But when I picked it up, it was off and wouldn't turn on. The second time (today) I had sat my phone down after I used it and about 20 minutes later tried to wake it and couldn't. I haven't installed anything new in quite awhile. I don't think it was caused by a system update either, as this issue would have crept up soon after the update.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I had a Samsung S4 and disliked it. Only used it for a few months. The bloatware that phone (from T-Mobile) had bogged it down and hindered performance. So I decided to stick with the Nexus series. Besides, its like nearly a $300 price difference. Fool me once with a Samsung phone...
I can certainly understand where you're coming from. If you didn't like the S4...you won't like the S5. For ME it's a really great phone.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Oh. If you dropped it, then yeah, I'd have to go with hardware as the prime suspect. As for what to replace it with, if you like the Nexus 4 you'll probably like the Nexus 5. My mom has one that I helped her buy, and it's very good. Personally, I'm hoping my N4 lasts long enough to replace it with the next-gen Nexus, if it exists, or some other next-gen phone if it doesn't.

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Oh. If you dropped it, then yeah, I'd have to go with hardware as the prime suspect. As for what to replace it with, if you like the Nexus 4 you'll probably like the Nexus 5. My mom has one that I helped her buy, and it's very good. Personally, I'm hoping my N4 lasts long enough to replace it with the next-gen Nexus, if it exists, or some other next-gen phone if it doesn't.

Yea I've had my N4 since release, or about 2 years or so ago. I support Google simply because they came out with a very affordable high end phone. I mean my N4 was $299! Ya just can't beat that without paying $600 and plus for an iPhone. Anyways, my N4 is pretty sturdy. When I first bought it, I dropped it quite a bit (w/ the otter box on of course) and despite it being glass front and back, not one scratch! But I guess my luck ran out. Oh well, for a phone that cost half the price of a top tier high end model, I got remarkable use out of it!

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'm really pleased to see more genuinely good Android phones at the sub-$400 price point. The Moto X, the OnePlus One, and the Nexus 5 are all great. I'm a big fan of the Nexus line, but the day may be coming when it's not needed. In the meantime, though, I'm happy to stick with Nexus.

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I'm really pleased to see more genuinely good Android phones at the sub-$400 price point. The Moto X, the OnePlus One, and the Nexus 5 are all great. I'm a big fan of the Nexus line, but the day may be coming when it's not needed. In the meantime, though, I'm happy to stick with Nexus.

So you have kinda grabbed my attention with the one plus one. I'm going to look into this phone.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
So you have kinda grabbed my attention with the one plus one. I'm going to look into this phone.
It's a beast, that's for sure. I hesitate to give it too hearty an endorsement so early on, since neither it nor the company that makes it have any track record yet, but I have to say the initial signs are really good. It is massive, though, so be sure you don't mind that going in.

pjc123

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, so my N4 has done this twice now. I've had my N4 since release, and never had an issue until about 2 weeks ago it shut off and would not come back on.

My Nexus 4 does this every few months; started about a year ago. I just live with it.

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
It's a beast, that's for sure. I hesitate to give it too hearty an endorsement so early on, since neither it nor the company that makes it have any track record yet, but I have to say the initial signs are really good. It is massive, though, so be sure you don't mind that going in.

Well I dug deep and did some research on the OPO phone. The specs seem fairly nice! Beats the N5 specs (barely). The camera has a 13mp, and the one thing I fell in love with was the touch screen activation. When it is off, double tap screen for instant activation. Also, when the screen is off, you can draw figures on the screen to take you directly to that application (make a circle for camera, or a square for your flashlight). Being able to assign a figure that creates a shortcut while the phone is off, to say, the flashlight, is pretty huge for me, as I walk my dog late at night and would find this very advantageous.

However! This is the big drawback: the thing is all but impossible to get your hands on one! I joined the OPO forums and it seems the only real way (besides smashing your current phone and posting it to YouTube) is to get an invite from another person whom has one. And that forum reminds me of why I don't shop at specific grocery stores, I'm tired of all the people lining up and bombarding me with "can you spare any change?" As the forum is full of people begging for invites.

The OPO sports it's tag line of "don't settle" but it appears that unless you want to beg for spare change on that street corner asking for invites, we all may have to "settle". Hmmm. But I don't really see getting the N5 as settling. I just like the features of the OPO.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
The OnePlus One is still brand new: they can't make enough to satisfy demand, so instead of doing backorders they're doing an invite system. They'll lift the restriction when they have enough units.

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
The OnePlus One is still brand new: they can't make enough to satisfy demand, so instead of doing backorders they're doing an invite system. They'll lift the restriction when they have enough units.
I'm wondering if it will be this year though? I can probably hold out until the time comes, but not sure I should risk waiting and being left without a phone.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
If you're really worried, it's perfectly fine to just get a Nexus 5 today. It's a great phone. If you want to hold out for the OnePlus One or even the end of year device roll outs, that's fine too. Whichever is more comfortable.

On a related note, it's not a bad idea to keep a cheap phone around as a backup in case something breaks. I have a Nexus S for that purpose.

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
If you're really worried, it's perfectly fine to just get a Nexus 5 today. It's a great phone. If you want to hold out for the OnePlus One or even the end of year device roll outs, that's fine too. Whichever is more comfortable.

On a related note, it's not a bad idea to keep a cheap phone around as a backup in case something breaks. I have a Nexus S for that purpose.

Yea its always a good idea to keep a phone around as a backup. Maybe I will just get the Ñ5. Before I started this thread, I was 100% behind the N5. I still want it, but I like the OPO peks of waking the phone up with a double tap and going from a dark screen to my flashlight in one gesture.

ehiggins

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
My Nexus 4 does this every few months; started about a year ago. I just live with it.

My wife's phone will do it a few times a day, she'll get pissy and then it won't do it for a week. It's crazy random.

She wants a custom moto x, but she wants to use it with her qi charger. Plugging in has become too much work.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles