Is replacing digitizer enough?
I dropped my phone and a crack appeared in the corner of the screen. I also noticed my touch screen was unresponsive. I understand I have to replace "the screen" but don't know what that comprises of.
Will I be okay with the purchase of just a digitizer? Or will I need a LCD + digitizer?
- 06-19-2014, 12:48 PM #2
- 06-20-2014, 07:22 AM #3
- 422 Posts
Re: Is replacing digitizer enough?
The glass is the digitizer, and the thin fragile display where the image is displayed is the LCD. If the screen is unresponsive, then clearly your digitizer is broken and needs replacing. However, even if your LCD itself is unharmed, it is MUCH easier to replace both. Sure, the digitizer may only go for $25, but it is a PAIN to separate the broken one from the working LCD and really should only be done by a pro. For $70 you can get the digitizer+LCD as a reassembled unit, which is much easier for a regular person with some cheap tools to deal with. I did it for my wife's Nexus 4 two months ago and worked fine.
Here is what you do:
1) Buy this:
LG E960 Google Nexus 4 LCD Display Touch Digitizer Screen Assembly Parts | eBay
2) Buy this:
Amazon.com: Adhesive Sticker Tape for Use in Cell Phone Repair - 2mm Double Sided Tape - also including 1 Pair of Tweezers / ECO-FUSED Microfiber Cleaning Cloth (white): Cell Phones & Accessories
3) Buy this:
Amazon.com: Tool Repair Kit Precision Screw Driver Set Torx + Flat Head + Safe Plying Prying Pry Tool for Motorola Verizon Sprint ATT Cingular Razor and More: Home Improvement
4) Follow this:
Be careful, take your time, but it really is pretty easy as long as you are patient.
- By Casey Cheung in forum Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3Replies: 3Last Post: 06-24-2014, 04:07 PM
- By LeoRex in forum General News & DiscussionReplies: 13Last Post: 06-23-2014, 11:56 AM
- By AC Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 1Last Post: 06-19-2014, 11:45 AM
- By Bittrblue in forum Google ChromecastReplies: 0Last Post: 06-19-2014, 10:47 AM
- By mark5019 in forum Samsung Galaxy S5Replies: 0Last Post: 06-19-2014, 10:03 AM