Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By borrowedchief
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By zorak950
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Thumbs down Terrible Phone

I joined this forum specifically for the purpose of telling people that I strongly recommend not buying this phone. I got my first Nexus 4 from t-mobile in Feb. of last year. It worked fine for about six months when everything went downhill. The battery life was pitiful at best, and the phone wouldn't receive text messages. I could send them all day long but I would only receive 1 out of every 15 or so messages sent to me. Thankfully I had the warranty and insurance and was sent another Nexus in late July.

The second Nexus seemed to function well for about two months when I started having problems with messaging again, as well as the battery overheating within minutes of use. I trudged along with this phone until about April of this year. While on vacation, my Nexus began to randomly power off even when I wasn't using it. At first it was once or twice a day. Within a week it was happening every ten minutes. I bought a Nokia Lumia 520 at a Target near by, put my SIM card in it, and have been using that with absolutely no issues at all.

So again I called t-mobile and a replacement was sent. I had the replacement for TWO HOURS when the thing shut off. It was completely bricked, I couldn't even use the Fast Boot. Guess what comes next? I called t mobile and on Friday night I received my FOURTH Nexus 4. It seemed like, for about 36 hours, I had finally gotten lucky. The phone was running fast, beautifully, no battery issues, nothing. Until last night at about 10pm. I lost signal which is normal for my house. But after an hour of having no signal I got concerned. I toggled airplane mode, restarted my phone, factory reset, and fast boot. Nothing. The phone began displaying a message that read "Restricted Access Change" and "The SIM card inserted does not allow a connection with this network (T-Mobile)"

Thinking maybe my SIM card had finally gone out, I put it back into my Nokia and had no problems at all. None.

The Nexus 4 is a defective piece of garbage and I completely regret choosing it over the Galaxy S3 at the time.

The PAH for my T-Mobile number is currently out of town but when she gets back, we're going to the T-Mobile store and I'm demanding either a new phone or taking me off the plan. I refuse to pay for this piece of crap anymore. I've spent more money on it than I've actually been able to use the damn thing. All of these phones were in perfect condition, no damage, drops, water exposure. I only downloaded verified apps, nothing questionable And I used the phone no more than the average person. I do the same exact things on my Nokia Lumia and on every other phone I've ever had and have never had any problems like this.

TL;DR: DO NOT TRUST ANYONE THAT TELLS YOU THE NEXUS 4 IS A GOOD PHONE, IT'S A CHEAP PIECE OF CRAP.

Default Re: Terrible Phone

Lol. Mine works just fine.

Posted via Android Central App
    CoMoNexus likes this.

Welcome to Android Central, and sorry to hear about the troubles. It's unusual that you would run into such a string of successive problems from a phone that from most reports on this forum and others is generally reliable. I'm curious--each time you got a replacement Nexus 4, did you immediately install all of your usual apps? If so, I would wonder if there is some app that might have been causing issues. It sounds like the N4 is a lost cause for you, but if you were somehow convinced to try one more, I would suggest holding off on installing all of your usual apps all at once, and instead install them one by one, checking the performance for a while after each app is installed. If things started to go funny, then uninstall the most recently installed apps and see if the problem goes away.

Another thing that could have been tried (if not already) on your previous N4s would have been to boot into Safe Mode (https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2852139?hl=en), which disables all 3rd party apps. If problems resolve, then you know one of the apps you installed is probably responsible. If problems persist, then it's an issue with the hardware or the system.

Anyway, good luck with your future phones!
    Thanked by:
    jamespark7 likes this.

At this point I wouldn't recommend a N4 over a N5 anyway, but the N4 I bought 18 months ago has lasted me all this time without major incident, which is a darn sight better than the Nexus S it replaced: it took three of those to get me through 24 months.

It always stinks when you get a bum product, more when you get several in a row, but my own experience with the Nexus 4 has been overwhelmingly positive. It is, however, nearing the end of its support life, so if anyone was asking me about getting a new phone today, I'd steer them elsewhere.
    B. Diddy likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

B. Diddy, I did try booting in Safe mode as well as holding off on downloading certain apps I thought might be causing issues and I still experienced the same issues.

I think part of the problem might be my carrier. This is the second time I've been on T-Mobile. I've also had Virgin Mobile and ATT and with those two, I never had any issues. But with both stints on T-Mobile I've had issues with multiple aspects, be it the phone or billing or what have you. I'm looking to change carriers ASAP and if anyone has suggestions to which would be affordable with good service, I'd very much appreciate that

Very odd. I suppose part of the problem may also be that replacement phones can end up being refurbished units. Those are usually fine, but if they were returned for some issue that was thought to be corrected, then maybe the issue actually wasn't corrected, and then the new owner experiences problems.

I also think that carrier experience can depend on where in the country you are. I'm in the Silicon Valley, and had very mediocre and sometimes downright annoying service (both coverage/data and customer service) from Verizon, and have been very happy with T-Mobile since switching.

Global Posts
    2,354 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Phillips View Post
    B. Diddy, I did try booting in Safe mode as well as holding off on downloading certain apps I thought might be causing issues and I still experienced the same issues.

I think part of the problem might be my carrier. This is the second time I've been on T-Mobile. I've also had Virgin Mobile and ATT and with those two, I never had any issues. But with both stints on T-Mobile I've had issues with multiple aspects, be it the phone or billing or what have you. I'm looking to change carriers ASAP and if anyone has suggestions to which would be affordable with good service, I'd very much appreciate that
    It's definitely the phone though.

Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.3 unlocked and rooted

Our N4 works just fine. We have however had issues with 3rd party apps. Check out the 4.4.4 update. I suspect this might clear up a bunch of issues for you.
    Living in Puerto Vallarta with my wife and our 5 Kids, Atrix 4G, N4, N5, N7, N10 and a recently adopted MK908B.
    www.romamexico.com

Global Posts
    622 Global Posts

Troll. Just created an account for trolling. P!s don't entertain him.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    1,229 Global Posts
    ROM
    SimpleAOSP & Hells-Core

I find it funny that out of over 3 MILLION Nexus 4's sold world-wide (as of July 2013 anyway, so it's probably higher), you could be so unlucky and it is pretty crappy that you would make such a bold blanket statement when the numbers are really against your opinion. I would recommend the Nexus 4 to my mother, not to many pieces of electronics I would do that with at all, it just works.
    Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on AT&T (SimpleAOSP/hells-Core Kernel/LTE)
    Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (Snuzzo's Plain-Andy ROM)
    Current Tablet: iPad 4/Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
    Other phones "in the family": HTC One (M7), Moto G GPE, LG G2
    Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria/Incredible 2/Rezound/DNA, Samsung Stratosphere, SGS2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P

I agree that the Nexus 4 is generally a good, reliable phone, but just because Cat had a different experience doesn't make her a troll. Sometimes you just get unlucky. She's entitled to express her opinion.

Hmm This is one odd problem!

Posted via Android Central App with LG Google Nexus 4

Um, the nexus 4 is a great device just sold the one I had floating around on swappa, the phone never once had a lick of a problem. You cant say the nexus 4 is a piece of junk when there are plenty of happy owners and it got good reviews sounds like you had a bad string of luck.

18 months, still use it over my Nexus 5, simply because it fits in my jeans better and has never let me down, possibly the most reliable phone I have ever had, if it dies tonight it doesn't owe me a penny IMHO.

I got my girlfriend a nexus 4 off swappa about a month ago and she loves it. No problems whatsoever. I do my research before buying new phones or any tech stuff and I never heard of any of these issues. I have the nexus 5 myself and love it. We run them both on straight talks at&t sims..

Global Posts
    870 Global Posts

Usually a full reset will solve most problems. Otherwise, you might want to add some essential management apps like: clean master, fast reboot, greenify, and wakelock detector. Also, like all smartphones, managing sync and refresh rates of your accounts helps too. The actual battery life is subpar but reasonable compared to phones with bigger batteries but one can't really get around that builtin limitation.

| 8110 < 8310 < 9670 < 9310 >>> (PB + Z10) + (TP + N7 + N4) |

Lov the phone, no problems, but after a yr battery gets weak, as we all know that's what there created like.. Any app u install have to know what ur installing, this phone is a 4 out of 5..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Phillips View Post

I'm in Orange County in California and Verizon works perfectly fine here.
    Most people use Verizon here