Gmail Contacts

JohnyBGood

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I just deleted all of my random auto-added Gmail contacts because I wanted to start fresh and be able to sync my contacts with my phone.

If I enable sync, will this keep all of the random people I've e-mailed over the years out of my phone, completely, since I just purged hundreds of Other Contacts? I had a problem with another account, which imported hundreds of contacts, but I don't know if they came from scanning my e-mails, or from the hundreds of auto-added contacts. And the embedded Gtalk in Gmail still lists random contacts unless I specifically have it on All Contacts. I really don't want to sync and then have random contacts showing up throughout my apps, etc. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The only contacts that should sync are the ones in your Google Contacts on the web. You can check if there are any extraneous ones by going to google.com/contacts on the web and reviewing all of your contacts.

Also make sure that you don't have any other accounts (like Yahoo) that are also syncing contacts with your People app. In Settings>Accounts, if you see Yahoo there (which would only be there if you installed the Yahoo Mail app), see if it's set to sync contacts.

JohnyBGood

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, B. Diddy. I finally allowed syncing and everything is very clean-looking (unlike my previous experience).

I'm a little curious as to whether or not someone can find out if I've added them as a contact. MANY years ago I remember adding all the e-mail addresses I had (teachers, extended family, etc.) to an InfoSeek Instant Messenger (back when InfoSeek was the best search engine online) in the event that they signed up, but at some point InfoSeek e-mailed all of them seemingly personalized invitations without my knowledge. I'd like to avoid a similar occurrence because there are some contacts I need to add for Caller ID purposes without encouraging any type of communication. :) Thanks, again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49