Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Carrier
    Marshmallow!

Default Re: Nexus 4 owners, when will you get a new phone?

My Nexus 4 will be two years old in December (second batch). I've been keeping an eye on all the new flagship phones that have come out, but they've always had some drawback or compromise that drives me away (especially since I will never buy another phone on contract again and don't feel like dropping $600 on a phone). Right now I'm waiting on the Moto X+1 to see what it looks like, but if I pass on that I'll probably wait for the next Nexus (if there is one). Despite the wonkiness of my N4, I love it too much to give it up just for the latest and greatest.

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

I don't see a reason to get a new one! This is my daily driver and it's a great device that still packs a punch with cpu and ram for most of the games! I will be upgrading in two more years if this battery loses its longevity

Posted via Android Central App with LG Google Nexus 4

Carrier
    OEM Unlock + Root

I have had my N4 since the fire sale last august/september? And will probably keep it still the N5 hits fire sale, if not, then ill probably get the N6.

I also have the ability to charge at work, which is a must considering how lousy my battery has gotten. Toying with picking up either an M8 or G3. Can't decide if A) they're too big or B) I want to drop $600+. And yes then there's the X+1 & N6 which we still know nothing about. Guess I feel sort of stuck. Meh. I kinda like almost every feature about the G2 tbh - if only that came in the G3's sexy "fake metal" body.

I will definitely be getting the N6 when and if it comes out. Just sold my N5 (so I could have more money for my vacation) and decided to ride with the N4 until the end of the year. But the N4 is still a good fast phone, and will keep it as a backup even after I get the next greatest thing.

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

I don't see or have a good excuse to put this phone aside and get a new phone that cost me another 600$+ this phone still works and it still has enough power to run smoothly with everything out there!

Posted via Android Central App with LG Google Nexus 4

Quote Originally Posted by BuffOrange View Post
    I also have the ability to charge at work, which is a must considering how lousy my battery has gotten. Toying with picking up either an M8 or G3. Can't decide if A) they're too big or B) I want to drop $600+. And yes then there's the X+1 & N6 which we still know nothing about. Guess I feel sort of stuck. Meh. I kinda like almost every feature about the G2 tbh - if only that came in the G3's sexy "fake metal" body.
    You could just replace the battery in your N4, squeeze some more life out of it.

Posted via Android Central App
    ysbg likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #33  

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzylumpkin View Post
    You could just replace the battery in your N4, squeeze some more life out of it.

That sounds like a good idea. I will try to do that, it will be easier to go on for another year.

Well the bottom of my screen doesn't respond to touch anymore, so can't use the soft keys. I installed an app that puts them along the sides, should buy me some time until the whole thing goes. Hopefully Google drops the price of the N5 in August like they did last year for the N4. If I can get a new one for around $200 I'll be all over it.
    agp101 likes this.

I was planning to stick with my N4 until around February next year but the battery life just got too bad for me and I got fed up with carrying around my portable battery pack. The last straw for me was when I had to go into London to an area where I was used to for work but someone took me somewhere else for an event. I only realised I was lost when I'd left on my own and found the battery had died so I couldn't use a map to find my way back.

Anyway, I've just switched to an HTC One M8 and so far it's great.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

Carrier
    CM10

I still love using the N4. Got mine since Nov 2012. In terms of performance, I’ve never felt held back by the hardware. The camera is not the best, but I never use it anyway since I always carry a real camera around. I would happily keep using it if not for a couple of general wear & tear issues.

- The battery. Battery life wasn’t awesome to begin with. By now, the capacity appears to have dropped by at least 15%. I can still go a full day under light usage. But it’s really starting to become a problem.

- The standby/power button. My button has been acting strange since the last few months. I guess it’s just been pressed too many times. It sometimes registers a single press as a double press. So if I want to turn on the screen, it would turn on and then quickly turn off. Or if I want to turn off the screen, it would turn off and then quickly turn on. Problem goes away if I just try again one or two more times. But I can only foresee this getting worse as time goes on.

So I’m definitely going to be retiring the N4 sooner rather than later. I’ll just wait for the successor to the N5 (the N6? Or the New N5? Whatever).

I really can’t justify getting anything other than Nexus. They’re priced lower than competitors. The flagships from the likes of Samsung, HTC, LG, Moto, Sony, etc often offer a lot more features. But almost none of them are value-added for me. Software features can often be had through 3rd party apps in Google Play.
    The only things that interest me are on the hardware side. And while I appreciate a microSD card slot or a removable battery, I could definitely live without these things if the device itself costs $200-$300 less. Plus, CM seems to run the best on Nexus devices. And of course, there’s the updates from Google which is a huge plus.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #37  

Quote Originally Posted by ohyeahar View Post
    - The standby/power button. My button has been acting strange since the last few months. I guess it’s just been pressed too many times. It sometimes registers a single press as a double press. So if I want to turn on the screen, it would turn on and then quickly turn off. Or if I want to turn off the screen, it would turn off and then quickly turn on. Problem goes away if I just try again one or two more times. But I can only foresee this getting worse as time goes on.
    I started having this problem a couple of weeks ago. It's annoying and I wish I had LG's knock-on feature.

Quote Originally Posted by ysbg View Post
    I started having this problem a couple of weeks ago. It's annoying and I wish I had LG's knock-on feature.
    Its not hard to get actually, there are several kernels that support DT2W (Double Tap to Wake) and S2W (Swipe to Wake) for the Nexus 4. Many will work with the stock ROM, you just need to be unlocked.

Although to get "knock off" you need a launcher that supports it, or most custom ROMs have this supported by double tapping the status bar.

Quote Originally Posted by ohyeahar View Post
    - The battery. Battery life wasn’t awesome to begin with. By now, the capacity appears to have dropped by at least 15%. I can still go a full day under light usage. But it’s really starting to become a problem.
    I'm not planning to replace my N4 anytime soon, but if I do, battery life probably will be the primary reason. Replacing the battery wouldn't help with the fact that, as you note, battery life wasn't awesome to begin with.

The N4 won't go to trash or recycling, though. My previous phone was the original HTC EVO, and I still use it daily for recording phone interviews via my desk speakerphone. I'm sure I'll find a daily use for the N4, too, when it's time.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #40  

Quote Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
    Its not hard to get actually, there are several kernels that support DT2W (Double Tap to Wake) and S2W (Swipe to Wake) for the Nexus 4. Many will work with the stock ROM, you just need to be unlocked.

Although to get "knock off" you need a launcher that supports it, or most custom ROMs have this supported by double tapping the status bar.
    I do need to be rooted to install a custom kernel, don't I?

Unfortunately I can't root because my banking app won't work with root, even if I do things like hiding the superuser apk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12