Nexus 4 owners, when will you get a new phone?

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Things are a bit slow in the N4 forums, so I thought we'd have a bit of a chat..

Early adopters of the N4 will soon be reaching two years of usage - I had one since November 2012, although I got a replacement one six months later because of battery issues. That begs the question, how much longer are you guys planning to use your N4 - if you haven't already upgraded, after all Nexuses are cheap? And if you are thinking about switching soon, what devices do you have in mind?

My N4 is still performing very well - except regarding battery life, but I can charge it at work and don't have to move around much, so let's say that's bearable.

Based on the recent Android L developer preview and images, the N4 should get the update. This will bring a whole new life to the device.

As much as certain new and upcoming flagship phones look exciting (LG G3, Moto X+1 - which will probably never come where I live anyway), I'm a big fan of the Nexus program. I played with a N5 a few times and it feels really great in the hand. Also, I really like stock android - recently I started removing extra customization, such as zooper widgets or minimalistic text.

So overall, I think I can go on for about another year with my device. I might get tempted by the next Nexus device though, if there is one.

How about you guys?

Last edited:

ph37rd

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I've been running L on my N4 for a couple of weeks. Even though this isn't full blown L, just a port of it with few KK pieces thrown in to make it all work, it's good. Everyday, sykopompos, defcomoi,ben and a couple of others are fixing the few remaining bugs, weeding out the KK parts and improving function.

Will definitely give you that extra year you're seeking. I'm regularly seeing over 3 hours of SOT, about 50% improvement for my usage style and configuration.

If I had the money right now, I'd look at the two LGs, G2 and G3 and the Moto X+1. I would consider another Nexus, just not the 5. I don't think they did themselves any favors with the N5. Too many compromises and not enough of an incremental jump over the N4.

anon(41073)

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
As of today(subject to change like the weather) my next device will probably me something from the Samsung Galaxy series. I swore that after the Nexus 4 that I will never buy another phone with a non-removable battery. I kind of feel like the iPhone users(wall huggers) that Samsung were making fun in their commercials.

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=53956129

Do a nandroid and try it. Stick with everting stock until you're familiar with how your phone handled it. They have an optional kernel, but it's still going through growing pains. Ten versions in a couple days. Give it a bit to mature.

I became a bit lazy regarding tinkering with my phone.. I'm not even rooted anymore. But I'll think about it!

Posted via Android Central App

Mcwong

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Android L should give it a new lease of life, probably can hang on to it for another year. It's stable & smooth on KitKat 4.4.4 and no urgency to replace it. Next device could be the Xiaomi Mi4 which is coming soon with Android L unless a better/cheaper flagship is available.

ph37rd

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
When I can fold the phone up and put it in my pocket so I can have a screen big enough to support a processor like that properly.

e3y8u4yb.jpg

What about 64-bit phones? Is that of any interest, and should N4 users wait for such devices to come?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The N4 didn't really last all that long as a daily for me, to be honest.

I was transitioning off webOS and eventually got won over by Windows Phone. I love my Lumia 925.

As for the Nexus 4 - I still love tinkering with it. Just not Android. I'm kind of forming the thesis that Android makes sense for media consumption and games (tablets), but not phones so much. Windows phone does everything I want in a communicator, keeps me organized and up to date. I LOVE the Nokia camera, imaging, maps and navigation. Top shelf.

But for UX on a phone, Android just isn't cutting it. Now my Nexus 4 is reserved for testing Ubuntu for Devices and Sailfish OS - of the two, Sailfish is quickly pulling ahead,

I'll get another Nexus phone when the porting opportunities are as rich as they've been for N4.

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
The N4 didn't really last all that long as a daily for me, to be honest.

I was transitioning off webOS and eventually got won over by Windows Phone. I love my Lumia 925.

As for the Nexus 4 - I still love tinkering with it. Just not Android. I'm kind of forming the thesis that Android makes sense for media consumption and games (tablets), but not phones so much. Windows phone does everything I want in a communicator, keeps me organized and up to date. I LOVE the Nokia camera, imaging, maps and navigation. Top shelf.

But for UX on a phone, Android just isn't cutting it. Now my Nexus 4 is reserved for testing Ubuntu for Devices and Sailfish OS - of the two, Sailfish is quickly pulling ahead,

I'll get another Nexus phone when the porting opportunities are as rich as they've been for N4.

Out of curiosity, how long did you keep using your nexus as a daily driver? Do you use Google services a lot (Gmail, drive, calendar, etc)?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Out of curiosity, how long did you keep using your nexus as a daily driver? Do you use Google services a lot (Gmail, drive, calendar, etc)?

I used the N4 as a daily for maybe about 6 months. I saw a great price on a bargain Windows Phone (Lumia 521) and though I'd try it. I was so impressed with it I took it on a trip as my only phone and I used it for Navigation on the trip. Everything went so well on that test that I located and purchased a Lumia 925 and never looked back...

I do use Gmail, Google search, Google calendar. That's about it. No Google Drive and Google Now never really caught on with me. IMHO, Nokia's Here mapping and navigation is superior to Google's. I do use M$FT OneDrive for photo backup and now document storage since I have MS Office with edit free on the 925. And ever since I moved to 8.1 Preview for Developers, Cortana has been becoming very attractive and useful. I'm starting to rely on her a quite a bit.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I've been using the N4 since the second batch in December 2012, if there's a new nexus this year I'll likely get that. If not I'll stick with my N4 despite its dodgy USB port until something good and cheap takes my fancy.

Either way I'll likely be ROMing for a custom theme when L hits, I really hate that UI.

anon(41073)

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Is it because you want to be able to carry a spare battery with you? Or you want to put in a new battery after a couple of years?
Mainly being able to carry a spare battery. Also, I am starting to notice that it doesn't hold a charge like it used to. I've tried the portable chargers, but it just doesn't work for me.

ColoradoSteve

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Mine will be 2 years old in Dec. I'm about done with the latest/greatest phones because they are all so good now. My next phone will probably be a N5 to replace the N4 (or maybe a S3 if I want to save a couple of $$). Wife has the N5 and it's nice and daughter has a S3 and I can't see much difference in day to day use from out phones..

I'm just waiting for Sprint to put LTE in Denver and I'll port my # From Net10 to Ting along with the rest of the family (Sprint doesn't have good coverage at my desk at work). N5 is supported on that service and it will save me quite a bit each month. My bill for their 3 phones runs between $65 and $75/month. Mine is $45 /month on Net10

anon(41073)

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Mine will be 2 years old in Dec. I'm about done with the latest/greatest phones because they are all so good now. My next phone will probably be a N5 to replace the N4 (or maybe a S3 if I want to save a couple of $$). Wife has the N5 and it's nice and daughter has a S3 and I can't see much difference in day to day use from out phones..

I'm just waiting for Sprint to put LTE in Denver and I'll port my # From Net10 to Ting along with the rest of the family (Sprint doesn't have good coverage at my desk at work). N5 is supported on that service and it will save me quite a bit each month. My bill for their 3 phones runs between $65 and $75/month. Mine is $45 /month on Net10

I feel the same way about being done with the latest in greatest. Like I said in my previous post, the Nexus 4 will be my last phone without a removable battery. That means that the Nexus 5 is out of the question for me. I was going back in forth between the S3 and S4. I just ordered an S4 yesterday. The reason why I decided to go with the S4 over the S3 was because of the 1080P and 5" screen. I at least figured that to be somewhat of an upgrade being that the Nexus and S3 have similar screen sizes{4.7vs4.8) and are both 720P.

Mister Puzzler

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I've had my n4 for over a year now. I'm torn between waiting to see the moto x+1 or getting another device. The lumia 1020 does look appealing to me, but so do the one m8 and G3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2