Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default nexus 4 lte

Is it possible to enable 4g let on stock 4.4.4 without rooting device?

Default Re: nexus 4 lte

No not any more. When the Nexus 4 first came out there was a work around however it has been patched since then. Personally the battery life was horrible for me when I was using the work around.

Yes, it's still possible. You'll just need to flash one of the older radios or use one of the hybrid radios some people make; having a custom recovery will help. Don't need root if you don't to, but doing these changes will prevent you from being able to install OTA updates, FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by thaphoenix2 View Post
    Is it possible to enable 4g let on stock 4.4.4 without rooting device?
    It is possible, but you would need to flash a hybrid radio and the LTE enabler manually, meaning you would need to be unlocked and be able to fastboot boot a custom recovery image... but why are you worried about rooting the device? It is super simple to do, it's a Nexus device, it was meant to be rooted, modified, and rommed. And if you have an app that doesn't like root, like ISIS or something, you can use Xposed and Root Cloak to make it work.

This will likely give you what you need if you get root... [APP] Nexus 4 Modem Flasher and LTE enabler … | Nexus 4 | XDA Forum

Enabling LTE in the US will work in T-Mobile areas, and a few select AT&T markets (Phoenix, Raleigh, San Juan, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Oklahoma City, Dallas, Chicago,and Charlotte), because the Nexus 4 only supports Band 4 LTE in hardware. A few Canadian and Mexican carriers use LTE Band 4 as well. If you are on T-Mobile, live in a AT&T market with Band 4, and can live with the battery drain go for it. It will drain the battery significantly faster, depending on signal level it could cause the battery to drain as much as twice the normal rate if you are in a weak signal area. I tried it for a while on AT&T's network, and in areas I travel (Bismarck, Fargo, and Minot in ND, Minneapolis, Rapid City, Sioux Falls, Omaha, Topeka, OK City, and Dallas/FTW) the only area I had service on LTE was OK City and Dallas/FTW, and even then the service was OK, but little difference between a good HSPA+ connection, except the battery drained quicker.