my phone made a loud shrieking noise and went black

dovakar

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
the noise was shrill and I'm not sure how to describe it, I thought maybe it was some weird manifestation of the flash flood warning system but it sounded nothing like it.
it was plugged in at the time.
i've tried unplugging, replugging, and power+vol up+vol down.
at one point i thought the led light maybe went on but it was only for a second and now I'm not sure if I just imagined it.

any ideas what on earth might have happened? (the noise my phone made was very weird and almost certainly related since immediately after it went black. also, although i say it went black, it actually sort of flashed grey lines and then went black)

more details:
plugged usb into computer, did power+volup+voldown.
red led went on. red led went off.
on computer, the sound-effect of usb connecting was fopllowed almost immediately by the sound-effect of usb disconnecting.
if after the led lgiht goes on, i keep holding, it starts flashing and then goes off. if at any point i stop holding it immediately goes off. an icon showing a usb device connected to the computer never shows up in My Computer (although as mentioned i do get the usb-connect sound effect)

i have a case, but i removed it when this first happened (since yeah I've had those standard proximity-detector-blacking issues)

even more details:
i hadn't yet installed the latest software update (yes, that means it's been sitting around waiting to be installed for like a month)

......is there any chance this is a virus?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central, and thanks for giving all of those details! Unfortunately, it just sounds like all-around badness. I doubt it was a virus--it just sounds like some catastrophic hardware failure. You could try contacting Google for support--go to this support site, click on the Contact Us button at the upper right, and select Nexus 4. Then click on Request a Call or Chat at the bottom of the window.

dovakar

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central, and thanks for giving all of those details! Unfortunately, it just sounds like all-around badness. I doubt it was a virus--it just sounds like some catastrophic hardware failure. You could try contacting Google for support--go to this support site, click on the Contact Us button at the upper right, and select Nexus 4. Then click on Request a Call or Chat at the bottom of the window.

=(

Oh no.

I literally just left the country yesterday and won't be back for another month the timing could not be worse.

I don't see this 'contact as' button, only a link to a forum (no request a call or chat option, either).

thank you for your response. even if it wasn't what i wanted to hear.... =(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2