Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Adding Outlook email account to Nexus 4 on Kit-Kat 4.4.4

I recently started a job which provides me with an Outlook email account. I downloaded the Outlook app but it does not recognize either my email address or my outlook user ID. Am I better off using the stock email app, or is there a trick to getting it to work?

Interestingly, the instructions on Microsoft's website are inaccurate and do not work.

Global Posts
    615 Global Posts

Default Re: Adding Outlook email account to Nexus 4 on Kit-Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by sonicresidue View Post
    I recently started a job which provides me with an Outlook email account. I downloaded the Outlook app but it does not recognize either my email address or my outlook user ID. Am I better off using the stock email app, or is there a trick to getting it to work?

Interestingly, the instructions on Microsoft's website are inaccurate and do not work.
    Your best bet is to ask work how to put the email in your phone.

Global Posts
    1,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    SimpleAOSP & Hells-Core

The Outlook app if for hosted email on Outlook.com, not exchange email, which is most likely what you were given... And the built in Email app handles that sufficiently, as well as calender and contact integration. But I agree with coolqf, you should ask your IT staff about setting it up, there is often more to it then just knowing you email address and password.
    Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on AT&T (SimpleAOSP/hells-Core Kernel/LTE)
    Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (Snuzzo's Plain-Andy ROM)
    Current Tablet: iPad 4/Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
    Other phones "in the family": HTC One (M7), Moto G GPE, LG G2
    Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria/Incredible 2/Rezound/DNA, Samsung Stratosphere, SGS2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Well I wound up adding it to my phone as "Exchange" and it worked. But... It is Outlook mail as I have to log into the "Outlook Web App". The server Im connected to has an outlook.com address, thus my confusion. So unless Im missing something it is Outlook and not Exchange. I did get it to work with the native email app, but I'm unsure why Microsoft's own app isn't working.

Quote Originally Posted by sonicresidue View Post
    It is Outlook mail as I have to log into the "Outlook Web App". The server Im connected to has an outlook.com address, thus my confusion. So unless Im missing something it is Outlook and not Exchange.
    Outlook Web App is the Web interface for Exchange servers.
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Well I did get it working with the stock email app, which is good enough for me. Thanks for all the help and clarification