Why can't I charge my Nexus 4?

DesuCake

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
This started today, where my battery life won't go up. It's been plugged in for two hours, yet the battery life is stuck at 52%. I've also tried charging through my computer.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
First of all, forr best results always use a wall charger. It charges faster then a computer's USB port. Not that charging by USB is bad, but it will take longer.

If it charged properly the last time, that means something has changed or gotten damaged. Try a different wall outlet, a different wall charger (if you have one), a different USB cable, or try combinations of those until you can figure out if you've got a bad USB cable or something.

Plug it into the computer, does the computer recognise it but not charge? does the computer not recognise it at all?

Have you tried a reboot? I have heard of situations where the battery is actually taking a charge but for some reason it gives no indication that it's charging until it's rebooted.

Once you have it charging, turn it off and let it charge. Hopefully you can solve this. If nothing works, it won't charge, and the computer won't recognise it - then I'd suspect the USB port on the phone itself is damaged.

DesuCake

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply!

A different outlet and a different charger produced the same results. It went up to 53% after a long time, but no further. I've also rebooted several times.

Also, the computer does recognize it, but the battery doesn't charge there either.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Carefully inspect the USB port on the phone as well. Have a look at the nub. It should sit pretty much dead centre. If it's twisted or bent that may be part of the issue. There also may be a build up of dust, dirt, lint, and other junk from day to day use.

If the nub is not centered, VERY CAREFULLY bend it back with something sturdy and NON-METALLIC. I had to do this from time to time on my Galaxy Nexus.

Another thing to try is on your micro-USB cable. On the micro end, use some needle-nose pliers and VERY gently squeeze it. (if you're holding the cable in your left hand, the pliers should be in line with the cable. Again, a very gentle squeeze is all you need. Just enough for the cable to make good contact with the USB port on your phone)