Nexus 4 still worth buying?

TelecasterM

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Gettting ready to ditch Verizon and go pre-paid MNVO. Been looking at the Moto G 2014, Posh Titan E500, Moto G LTE 2013 around the $200 range. I see some refurb N4's going for $170. I know it's 2 years old, but still has decent specs and 2GB RAM.

That or the Moto G?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I would honestly suggest the moto g. While the N4 has better specs, Lollipop is probably going tone the last update for it.

Sent from an AOSP M8

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I would recommend Moto G 2014 as well for a new device. You can grab it and a 32GB microSD card for about $200... Great battery life, nice display, waterproof, pretty good device, probably the best deal for the money.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I agree with both posts above. Plus, the Moto G will receive Lollipop, so you'll be on the latest pretty soon.

TelecasterM

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
The Nexus 4 will get Lollipop as well. I'm really wanting to move to 2GB RAM from my 1GB RAM Moto Razr M. Otehr option might me ZTE ZMAX and Huawei Ascend Mate

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Well, if you think 2gb is necessary you can certainly go with the N4, but you're going to be disappointed with the battery life. Between that, the lack of LTE, the fact that it's unlikely to see stock updates beyond the upcoming Lollipop, and that because it's a refurbished unit you'll have no warranty, I'd hesitate to point you that direction, though.

32gig

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Take a look on swappa. They have good deals on phones.. If it were me I'd take the nexus 4 over the moto g.. True n4 may not get any updates after lollipop, but there are no guarantees that the moto g will either, especially now that they are owned by lenovo..

Posted via Android Central App

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
Well, if you think 2gb is necessary you can certainly go with the N4, but you're going to be disappointed with the battery life. Between that, the lack of LTE, the fact that it's unlikely to see stock updates beyond the upcoming Lollipop, and that because it's a refurbished unit you'll have no warranty, I'd hesitate to point you that direction, though.
I disagree on all points. The n4 has a quad core phone and handles lollipop well. The n4 can handle at least one or two updates. And now that T-Mobile has band 4 LTE we have LTE now.

Sent from my T-Mobile Nexus 4 LTE using Tapatalk

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I disagree on all points. The n4 has a quad core phone and handles lollipop well. The n4 can handle at least one or two updates. And now that T-Mobile has band 4 LTE we have LTE now.
I'm not saying the N4 isn't still a good phone (except for the battery life, which is the #1 reason I'd point elsewhere), but you have to hack in the LTE support, and even then it's only one band. Add to that the fact that it's out of warranty and future major updates will probably have to come from unofficial sources, and I just think there are better options for most people.

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
Who said the n4 isn't getting anymore updates?? This isn't a gnex lol. And yes its only one band but its the main band for T-Mobile LTE so it's more widespread than the other bands.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I've never felt that my speeds were inadequate even on an unhacked N4, but the fact remains that as carriers continue to focus on building out their LTE networks, the lack of full LTE support will become more and more noticeable.

...and I said major updates. I fully expect Lollipop will continue to be patched. However, Google has never supported a Nexus past 18 months before, and the N4 is now 27 months old. We're on borrowed time.

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
I agree and disagree on the borrowed time part mainly because of how powerful the n4 is. But u could be right.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I think the N4 is probably capable of running the next major OS update, and possibly beyond, without any trouble, I just doubt that Google will continue to support it with official updates that long. I could be pleasantly surprised, but as I said, we're already the better part of a year past the point that the Nexus One, Nexus S, and Galaxy Nexus stopped getting updated in their respective product life cycles, and we probably won't be seeing Android M until Q3 or Q4 this year, at which point the Nexus 4 will be going on three years old. In other words, it could happen, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I think the N4 is probably capable of running the next major OS update, and possibly beyond, without any trouble, I just doubt that Google will continue to support it with official updates that long. I could be pleasantly surprised, but as I said, we're already the better part of a year past the point that the Nexus One, Nexus S, and Galaxy Nexus stopped getting updated in their respective product life cycles, and we probably won't be seeing Android M until Q3 or Q4 this year, at which point the Nexus 4 will be going on three years old. In other words, it could happen, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Yes, but there were all legitimate reasons as to why the previous Nexus phones stopped getting updated. The Nexus One didn't have enough ROM, the Nexus S wasn't powerful enough, and the Galaxy Nexus's processor lost support.

The Nexus 4 has none of those issues. There's no reason for Google to stop supporting the Nexus 4 except just not wanting to.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood