Nexus 4 Unlocked from Google?

mbalsaritchie

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I have just taken my phone to CEX in the Uk to sell. They have told me that is locked to o2 which is my carrier, but I bought the phone direct from Google. Are they trying to pull a fast one, or will it actually be locked. I only have a Tesco sim to try, but as they are part of o2.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
As far as I know, a carrier can lock only the SIM, not the N4 itself. The setup is comparable to that of the iPad Air 2, whose SIM can be used with multiple carriers. But if you choose AT&T, AT&T locks the SIM, you have to buy a new one to switch the iPad to another carrier. But the iPad itself isn't locked.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I think the above poster is right. Either way, why wouldn't you try selling private party rather than a retailer? You might net a little more from the device that way to use towards another.

mbalsaritchie

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
It was just for convenience really, as I knew I would be passing a CEX shop. I am going to try a different sim in work today, so hopefully I have an unlocked phone.

Phone is unlocked. Tried a Vodafone sim in, and it works fine. CEX trying it on.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech