How do I get Android 5.0/Lollipop on my Nexus 4 (4.4.4) without flashing?

saintforlife

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Just got a refurbished Nexus 4 on Groupon for $149. However the phone came with Android 4.2 installed on it! Had to manually install each update from 4.2.2 all the way to 4.4.4. Whew! However, after I got to 4.4.4, the phone stopped saying there was any update available. It is not prompting me to upgrade to 5.0/Lollipop.

My question: Can I get the Android 5.0 Lollipop update OTA without inserting a SIM card? Right now I am still using my iPhone 5 and want to move the SIM card over when I have all the data and apps transferred over to the N4 (it's gonna take some time). Until then I will be using the Nexus 4 on wifi only. Does the OTA push out depend on whether you have a SIM card in the phone or not? Should I pop the SIM card into the phone for a bit and see if it recognizes that I am on the US (AT&T) and pushes the 5.0 OTA update to my N4?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
You wait. As long as it's connected to the internet you'll get the ota eventually, regardless of whether or not you have a sim installed.

Wubba lubba dub dub!

drew_t

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
The OTA was only released a few days ago, and Google doesn't dump it on all phones at once. Just be patient. Should be days, not weeks or months.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
How long is the wait usually - days, weeks, months? Also will the OTA get pushed even if I don't have a SIM card in the phone?
A SIM card is not required, only an active internet connection... a Nexus OTA update rolls out in phases over 2-4 weeks, as long as your device is stock and has an internet connection, it will get offered the update.

Sicily1918

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Just got a refurbished Nexus 4 on Groupon for $149. However the phone came with Android 4.2 installed on it! Had to manually install each update from 4.2.2 all the way to 4.4.4. Whew! However, after I got to 4.4.4, the phone stopped saying there was any update available. It is not prompting me to upgrade to 5.0/Lollipop.
Wow, I did the same thing (Groupon), except I flashed the device with Lollipop the second I received it -- 10 minutes later it was booting into a clean Lollipop and restoring all my apps. Given it was a new device, that might've been a better way to go and not have legacy files lingering around.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie