How can I do a reset of the N4 with no screen?

Sheikhoo

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Reset N4 with no screen, debugging or volume rocker

Part of my touch screen isnt working. I cant enter the numbers below the number 9 so i cant hit the enter button after ive written my pin. I need to perform a reset but i cant access the boot loader since my volume rocker doesnt work and debugging isnt enabled on my phone so cant use adband the nexus 4 cant be connected to a mouse via usb. Its running lollipop. Need help

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Reset N4 with no screen, debugging or volume rocker

Well, if the volume rocker doesn't work your only options are a to use an USB Keyboard/mouse to input your PIN and perform the reset from the settings menu, use a PC to force the reset via USB, or use a service station via USB. The first two, as I understand, you can't do, and the third one requires the service station, which only service dealers or developers have. :(

This just occurred to me, but I don't know if it kicks in at PIN input or after it's logged in, but it's worth a shot. You can initiate a remote wipe via the Android Device Manager in your Google Play account. In theory, after that and the phone is turned on and connected to a valid data network, the wipe command should take place. Just MAKE SURE that's what you want, as I don't think this can be cancelled once it is sent out.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

As a last resort, if nothing else works, look for JTAG services in eBay. They connect another computer to the phone (by wiring to the motherboard) and can control it externally - enough to flash a working ROM.

If the touch screen itself is bad (or the motherboard is), you're going to have to decide whether spending 3/4 the price of a new phone to get yours repaired makes sense to you. (If every penny is important, that 1/4 the price, about $50, makes a difference.)

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site

If you leave the power button pressed for a long time the phone resets without having to tap anywhere.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463