Nexus 4: USB charger and cables - do I need to buy "LG"

vlee

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
OK, I realize this is like a phones 101 question, but I don't understand the electronics well enough to risk my trusty N4 esp since the replacement costs so much more.

Someone at work "borrowed" (hmmph) my charger last week and I haven't seen it since. I want to get another one, preferably in some hideously neon color so that they'd be embarrassed to ever be seen with it in the future! Hot pink comes to mind. And I want inexpensive, since this wasn't the first time..

Question: are all micro usb chargers and cables interchangeable? When I look on eBay, a lot of times I see what appears to be the exact same model listed multiple times for different phones. Or I see one labeled as Galaxy S5, but it sure looks like my current charger. Would those work? Am I risking damaging the phone, or can it take care of itself ? (I'm assuming the individual cables are interchangeable and ok to use with an existing wall module, since I'd also like to get a longer one for home use).

Thanks!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
No you don't have to invest in an authentic " LG " charger. Over the years I have used and still continue to use USB cables & wall adapters from various devices. I've used Samsung cables on HTC, HTC on LG, LG on ASUS and even Blackberry cables on Android.. So you get the picture...

vlee

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! That's what I thought, but wanted confirmation lest I fry my phone. :cool:

Now I can hit buyitnow on a hot pink charger! I have my suspicions which contacted group of workers "borrowed" my charger, since several of them hang out (hide) in our department over night because there is a tv. Hopefully the thought of using a lovely pink charger will slow them down.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae