Regarding Nexus 4 Battery Drain

krishghige

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

Factory reset followed by use of Gservicefix app has made a considerable improvement in battery drain issue on my Nexus 4. Those of you who are still facing this issue can try this. :)

Megan Elisabeth

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
I have been following this thread because I had the same issue on my Nexus 4 starting last month. I tried everything mentioned and had no luck, until one day my phone had the "red light of death" and no longer charged or turned on at all. I sent the phone to LG for the. To assess if it could be repaired. They said the phone had water damage, which I know is a load of BS because my phone has not made contact with any liquid. If it has, it was unknown to me. They said the phone is irreparable. I'm really frustrated by all this. Has anyone else sent the phone to LG and received Better explanations?

sainath ragi

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I have battery drain issue in my nexus 4. I fully charge it 100%. While using it drains quickly to 60% or 50 % within 2-3hrs and it suddenly turns off. I thought it was a hang, but i was not able to restart my mobile. Event if its restarted, it shuts down again within no time. And When i plug it to charger, it starts charging from 10%. Anybody faced this issue? Please help. I Recently changed my screen before 4 months. In the first it worked fine, but now it is causing problem. Also I used powerbank to charge my mobile for one week in the middle. I guess that caused the issue to my mobile. ALso I downgrade my mobile From lollipop to kitkat using ADB. But still no use. Please help if anyone faced this issue.
Thanks.

sainath ragi

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I fully charge it 100%. While using it drains quickly to 60% or 50 % within 2-3hrs and it suddenly turns off. I thought it was a hang, but i was not able to restart my mobile. Event if its restarted, it shuts down again within no time. And When i plug it to charger, it starts charging from 10%. Anybody faced this issue? Please help. I Recently changed my screen before 4 months. In the first it worked fine, but now it is causing problem. Also I used powerbank to charge my mobile for one week in the middle. I guess that caused the issue to my mobile. ALso I downgrade my mobile From lollipop to kitkat using ADB. But still no use. Please help if anyone faced this issue.
Thanks.

Lorinnicolae

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi all.

I have the exact issue as some of the above. I am not sure what caused it, I did a few software updates.. the phone overheated quite severely during the optimising apps phase, it sometimes was plugged in during updates (contributed to overheating) and I've let it die completely afterwards.. these actions have led to it displaying the red light of death once, after dying.

The issue started after seeing that red light of death. My battery doesn't last 24 hours during standby, there is no battery drain (CPU Spy confirms the phone is in deep sleep some 99% of the time). I've changed the battery a few days ago with a new one, nothing changed.

I've been monitoring this for a few weeks now and all evidence suggests this have nothing to do with the software, I suspect it's some hardware component that keeps the battery draining while the phone is deep sleeping (I also observe aggressive drainage while using the phone and no drainage when the phone is shut off, so this supports my theory). Apparently none of my cables/chargers are able to charge it at AC speed anymore, only at USB rate, and when I've tried plugging it to my computer using my Galaxy S6 cable, the phone kept connecting and disconnecting extremely fast, I'd say around 4-5 times per second (it charges from the wall, at USB speed, using that cable). It connected fine to the computer using another (kindle) cable. Also, the phone is a little bit warmer (hardly noticeable) around the camera area while deep sleeping (the CPU is in the opposite part).

Can anyone else confirm any of my findings? Maybe we can get to the bottom of this. Does anyone think that it might be worth giving LG a shout about this? I don't expect them to do anything because the phones are (or most should be) out of warranty by now, but maybe they can tell which component is the culprit and if we can buy a replacement for that (e-trade supply should have anything), maybe we can fix it ourselves!

Lro

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
I fully charge it 100%. While using it drains quickly to 60% or 50 % within 2-3hrs and it suddenly turns off. I thought it was a hang, but i was not able to restart my mobile. Event if its restarted, it shuts down again within no time. And When i plug it to charger, it starts charging from 10%. Anybody faced this issue? Please help. I Recently changed my screen before 4 months. In the first it worked fine, but now it is causing problem. Also I used powerbank to charge my mobile for one week in the middle. I guess that caused the issue to my mobile. ALso I downgrade my mobile From lollipop to kitkat using ADB. But still no use. Please help if anyone faced this issue.
Thanks.

i have exactly same problems . i am gonna change my battery i think its death .after lollipop the problems have occured.i miss the old times when my nexus had working without problem.
also in calling , the another side of call doenst receive my voice.
anybody has idea about the battery drains quickly %60-70 and approximately at %50 the phone shuts down.also if i use mobil data my sim card islocked and unlocked before it shut down ,

Christine Willard

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Rebooted in recovery mode, got new battery, did 2 factory resets and none of these methods fixed the poor battery life on Samsung 4 mini??

Posted via the Android Central App

DanielLucena13

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

I have sort of a combination of everyone's problems.
Battery drains very quickly from 90% to 50%, then mobile network stops working, and then the phone suddenly shuts down. Sometimes I can turn it back on with 15% baterry life, sometimes with 1% and another times it doesn't even turn back on anymore until I plug in the charger. While charging I get a "Charging from USB" much more often than "Charging over AC" (I don't know if it's a USB cable issue).

I had the "optimization apps" phase multiple times before (overheating the phone too), sometimes twice on the same day. I had the red light of death a while ago too and I'm not sure if there is any relation with my problem. I haven't done any software or hardware changes, only the normal upgrades from Google and all of this definitely started after Lollipop upgrade.

Going to change the battery now for a new one that I just bought.
Hopefully it will solve the problem, I'll post an update latter.

Also, I don't have root access to my phone and I don't really know how this would help to solve this problem. Can anyone explain it?

Amit Garach

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I have sort of a combination of everyone's problems.
Battery drains very quickly from 90% to 50%, then mobile network stops working, and then the phone suddenly shuts down. Sometimes I can turn it back on with 15% baterry life, sometimes with 1% and another times it doesn't even turn back on anymore until I plug in the charger. While charging I get a "Charging from USB" much more often than "Charging over AC" (I don't know if it's a USB cable issue).

I had the "optimization apps" phase multiple times before (overheating the phone too), sometimes twice on the same day. I had the red light of death a while ago too and I'm not sure if there is any relation with my problem. I haven't done any software or hardware changes, only the normal upgrades from Google and all of this definitely started after Lollipop upgrade.

Going to change the battery now for a new one that I just bought.
Hopefully it will solve the problem, I'll post an update latter.

Also, I don't have root access to my phone and I don't really know how this would help to solve this problem. Can anyone explain it?

Read post #18 for an answer to your last paragraph. I myself had shorted my motherboard so just left it as is.

Blake Jaycox

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
I too had issues with my battery not charging properly and draining rapidly like many in this post have said. Also my phone stopped working with my slim port adapter that I used to connect to my TV. My first attempt at fixing the problem was changing the battery but it did not fix the issue. What fixed the problem for me was replacing the dock connector flex cable (USB port). While I can't promise this will fix every one's battery issue, for ~$10 it's worth a shot.

The part can be found on amazon or fixez.com and fixez also has a tear down video showing how to replace the part. If you know how to replace the battery your already half way there. Hope this helps.

DanielLucena13

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Ok. It's been more than a month since I changed the battery on my Nexus 4. (New one from China that bought for € 20 on Amazon.

After this time using the phone I can say that there is no "really fast battery drops" anymore, and no shutdowns for "no reasons". "Optimization apps" phase is over too. Also, the phone doesn't overheat anymore.
Using WiFi I'm able to get almost 17-20h of use; however, using 3G, this drops to almost 10-12h.

It's pretty good for now (almost the same as when I first got the phone), I didn't expect anything more than that.
Hopefully the will serve me for at least one more year!
I hope this info will be useful for someone.

Thanks!

DanielLucena13

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Ok, another month went by and forget all I've said about the new battery.
For apparent no reason the battery inflated and all the problems are back.
I just gave up and decided to by a new phone.