Random shutdowns - something new

chins22

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
My Nexus 4 now has started turning off anytime from last couple of weeks.
This does not have any connection with % Battery left or any specific app usage.
I am worried that this well known unreliable Nexus 4 battery is now playing up on me.
Anybody facing similar issue? Any solution?
Please let me know, cheers

Chin

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are they abrupt shutdowns with no warning, or do you get a "Shutting Down" message first?

Try booting into Safe Mode, which temporarily disables all 3rd party apps. https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2852139?hl=en. If the problem disappears in Safe Mode, then something you installed is causing the problem. You may have to uninstall apps one by one until the problem disappears. If the problem persists in Safe Mode, then it's more likely to be a hardware or firmware problem.

rtshoff

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Happening to me too. I've attempted fix it by clearing the cache, but it's still doing it. Hoping 5.1 fixes it.

CeruleanBlue58

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
My sig-other says her N4 was acting in similar way (abrupt) a few weeks ago, but only when inactive. Seemed a little stubborn to restart, as well, once when I looked at it, and left me wondering if it's an actual shut-down or maybe loss of screen. I cleared out the active app cache and uninstalled a flashlight app she had running. For now, it's behaving, she says.

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
My Nexus 4 now has started turning off anytime from last couple of weeks.
This does not have any connection with % Battery left or any specific app usage.
I am worried that this well known unreliable Nexus 4 battery is now playing up on me.
Anybody facing similar issue? Any solution?
Please let me know, cheers

Chin

Posted via the Android Central App

Are you sure the phone is shutting down or is the screen going black and you cannot get it back despite pressing buttons.

This has recently started happening to me. I am sure it isn't shut down because when I press the button to restart nothing happens. I have to use a long press to shut it down then press again to get it to start.

I don't know what is doing it but suspect it is an app that was maybe updated. So many apps get updated that it is difficult to pin point the problem.

I thought it might be yahoo mail but after uninstalling it I still have it happen. I wish there was an easy way to figure out what is the culprit.

What I will do next time it happens is ring my phone from another one and see if it rings or goes to msg to ensure it is just a black screen and not shut down in some way.

I have done a wipe of the system cache but it didn't help.

I recall years ago my Nook did the same thing but cannot recall why or if I even found out what was causing it.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
This has recently started happening to me. I am sure it isn't shut down because when I press the button to restart nothing happens. I have to use a long press to shut it down then press again to get it to start.

My N4 has been doing the same thing for the better part of the year. Two hard resets and an upgrade to Lollipop haven't fixed it. The latest problem is I'll dial a number, and the call begins, but I hear nothing. Hanging up and redialing does nothing. The only fix is to reboot the phone.

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Not sure that this is a cause of this problem but when I went to update my Hangouts app it indicated not enough space in memory.

I don't have that many apps so only found a couple hat I don't use to delete and they only gave me back about 50mb. I had to go into my music which came to just over 1gb and get rid of a major portion. I then cleared caches and now have over 1gb space.

If this seems to fix the black screen I will post back.

What really bugs me is the amount of space used by Google apps that I don't want and can't be removed. Apps like sheets, slides,G play movies & TV, g Play games, wallet, drive google plus. These apps suck up over 300mb and considering after the space taken by the OS we only have 5.6gb from 8gb

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Not sure that this is a cause of this problem but when I went to update my Hangouts app it indicated not enough space in memory.

I don't have that many apps so only found a couple hat I don't use to delete and they only gave me back about 50mb. I had to go into my music which came to just over 1gb and get rid of a major portion. I then cleared caches and now have over 1gb space.

If this seems to fix the black screen I will post back.

What really bugs me is the amount of space used by Google apps that I don't want and can't be removed. Apps like sheets, slides,G play movies & TV, g Play games, wallet, drive google plus. These apps suck up over 300mb and considering after the space taken by the OS we only have 5.6gb from 8gb

Problem is still there so getting extra memory didn't solve the problem.

It must be an app but have no idea what. I also noticed that a person called me and it didn't ring went to voicemail.

Karrott9

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
My N4 has been doing the same thing for the better part of the year. Two hard resets and an upgrade to Lollipop haven't fixed it. The latest problem is I'll dial a number, and the call begins, but I hear nothing. Hanging up and redialing does nothing. The only fix is to reboot the phone.

I'm having the same issues when going yo make a call. And the random shutdowns and times where the screen will not turn back on. I know there are times where it is a shutdown, because the phone requires a hard reset and then another press to turn back on. The other times the screen just won't turn on and I know because the notification light still flashes and the hard reset starts the phone back up after reset.

Posted via Android Central App

shawne11

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
It seems to happen to me when I dismiss an alarm early. Previously with Alarm Clock Plus on Kit Kat and Lollipop. I Uninstalled but when I dismiss an alarm through the notification bar on Lollipops native clock app I sill find my phone shut down later that day. I just stopped dismissing alarms a few days ago so I'm not sure if I've narrowed it down to this yet.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same issues when going yo make a call. And the random shutdowns and times where the screen will not turn back on. I know there are times where it is a shutdown, because the phone requires a hard reset and then another press to turn back on. The other times the screen just won't turn on and I know because the notification light still flashes and the hard reset starts the phone back up after reset.

Good to know I'm not the only one. I think I'm going to have to buy a new phone. I can't have something this undependable because my mobile is now my only phone.

Karrott9

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Good to know I'm not the only one. I think I'm going to have to buy a new phone. I can't have something this undependable because my mobile is now my only phone.

I'm having to hard reset my phone 10+ times a day. I use it and then 5 minute slater go to use it and its shut off. Happens so many times. Didn't start this until after I updated like 45 apps. Didn't have enough room to update and took me a while to make space. So it could be one of those 45 apps.

shawne11

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
It happened again without me having dismissed am alarm early so that's not the cause. I'm rooted stock. I'll be doing a fresh install of 5.1 and hoping for the best.

Karrott9

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't seem to happen if it is charging. Didn't start until this week. Could be an app but no idea.

Frank999

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I've also been having the same issue the past couple weeks with my N4. There are times when I pull my phone out of my pocket and the phone is completely turned off. I have to long press it to reboot. And by long I mean looooong, like 20 seconds. Doesn't seem to be a battery issue as the battery is either fully or nearly fully charged.

Karrott9

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I've also been having the same issue the past couple weeks with my N4. There are times when I pull my phone out of my pocket and the phone is completely turned off. I have to long press it to reboot. And by long I mean looooong, like 20 seconds. Doesn't seem to be a battery issue as the battery is either fully or nearly fully charged.

Exactly what happens!

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I Have a feeling that this is being caused in some way by Google hangouts. I notice that it seems to occur when I have received a call on hangouts. Not sure what I can do to isolate it. I need to use it because I rely on hanguts for my phone service using along with google voice. We are in the US currently and when back home in Canada in about a month will know for sure as I don't use hangouts much there whereas here almost daily..

Karrott9

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I do not use Hangouts myself. I have had my phone booted into safe mode all day and no issues. Google seems to think if the phone does not experience issues while in safe mode, it is caused by an app...now...what app??

Frank Robey

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
The only app I've seen that will cause my phone to shutdown (and by shutdown I mean the screen goes black, then the phone starts the reboot process, all on its own) is Skype. I just recently started using Skype a lot and it will randomly shut the phone down, sometimes 30 seconds into the call, sometimes 30 minutes. Once it reboots then I can go back on Skype until it happens again. I tried downgrading my Skype to an older version (one of the solutions I found online) but the older versions I tried could never login to Skype...kinda strange.

I also have Hangouts installed but rarely use it...

I hope 5.1 fixes this issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2