Time To Vent

olgeezer44

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
We've had our N4's for 22 months. We are old geezers but recognize the many benefits of smart phones. I'm not a geek, but I'm not computer illiterate either. Things were working great until a few months ago until we could no longer make phone calls. It was not an issue with TMobile either. Apparently there was an issue with a developer app that had been enabled. Someone on a forum, with literally hundreds of posts complaining about the phone issue, found a solution on how to disable the beta developer app. What? The main purpose of a phone doesn't work? Incredible! Some complaints were from folks who were in auto accidents and their N4's didn't function!. So, where was Google all this time? Many complained about lack of help and caring about solving the problem caused by the Lollipop update.

One fix was to reboot but that was limited to work for only a short period. I tried it today and it didn't work for me. I have no mic or voice input on my phone. I can hear the sound on youtubes and the text function works. I can connect on calls but cannot talk or hear. Well, this is really the pits, folks. We need our phones. We may need to send or receive emergency calls. Sure, we like the camera, email, videos, gps, games, and other apps, but if we can't make phone calls with something called a phone, it's really of no use to us. Since the phones worked fine before the Lollipop upgrade, er uh do you suppose the problem could be due to that? No bulletins or announcements on the problem or a fix that I know of. Maybe such a thing would prevent Google from receiving more of those almighty dollars? I've had it with my N4 and I'm now looking for another phone that is reliable. I'm not sure how this will all end up though since other brands may have problems also.

Okay, there, I've vented. If I'm mistaken about anything I said, please let me know. I really don't like writing negative comments even though they may be true--at least to me. I would rather not say anything at all. If someone can show me that I'm off base, please tell me how I can fix the problem. However, due to our locale and immediate travel area, it's not prudent to travel without a working phone. Thanks for reading this.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the problems. I wonder how widespread this issue is, because this is the first I've seen it on these forums. Granted, I don't see every single post here, but I'm pretty wide-ranging, so I feel that I get a pretty decent cross-section.

Believe it or not, Google has a customer service number that comes up in big font when you Google it. Try calling them: 650-253-0000

Another option is to go to this site and click on the Contact Us button at the upper right to request a chat or call: https://support.google.com/nexus/?hl=en#topic=3415518

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Voice calls work fine on my N4. I have that annoying little front speaker crackle that's been there since I bought it 27 months ago, but other than that...

SharkyNY

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Same here. The speaker crackle has been my only problem. Of course I'm also running PA 4.6, so I wouldn't know of any phone bugs related to stock Lollipop.

olgeezer44

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your posts. I finally got voice back to my phone. I think the solution was to uninstall an app called Volume Control +. That app worked fine for many months. Maybe the app was updated and the changes caused a conflict with the onboard audio functions?

In reading some blog type stuff on simple smartphone recommendations, a comment was made about being locked into the Google features. Yep, that's us. One of our main purposes in getting smartphones was to have a sync'd master calendar for our phones, tablets, and pc's because we both have CRS. This feature has served as well for appointments, meds, to-do items, rehearsals, birthdays, etc.. We also have gmail and other stuff. My daughter and husband switched from iphones and they like Android better also. I see that MS uses internet explorer. I've heard that they are discontinuing that but I really didn't check that out. We do have many Google free apps that we not only do not use, we don't even know what they are. I'm reluctant to delete any of them because I don't know if parts of them are used. With all the apps out there, smartphones are a lot more complicated than pc's for me. In the meantime, we are keeping our N4's for now.

My final question relates to updates. Our phones came with Jelly Bean. Upgrades have been KitKat and Lollipop. If we are happy with our current system and things are working okay, do we always have to upgrade? Thanks for your input.

drew_t

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I would install 5.1 when it is available and any future Lollipop updates, as they will probably be small, bug fix type updates. Whatever comes after Lollipop may or may not be made available for the N4.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

olgeezer44

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I would install 5.1 when it is available and any future Lollipop updates, as they will probably be small, bug fix type updates. Whatever comes after Lollipop may or may not be made available for the N4.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Good to know. Thanks!

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
There are security reasons to update, but if you're not too concerned about that and you're happy with your current OS version I'd consider updating wholly optional. I always want the latest personally, but that's me.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey