Non-working touch screen - alternate input?

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I was given 2 Nexus 4's that both have touch screen issues (cracked display makes half the screen unusable on one, and the other completely dead). I am not looking to repair them, but rather use them as Android computing devices with a remote input of some kind- either some sort of remote desktop, or an OTG keyboard/mouse.

Problem is, they are stock and OTG doesn't seem to work. USB debugging is also disabled because of the stock firmware, so I can't sideload a remote desktop app either. I searched and it seems that any possible way to get a remote input working in order to install and use a particular app requires the touch screen to be functional first!

Any suggestions?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The stock Nexus 4 kernel doesn't support OTG, you need Franco's kernel. And about the only way you're going to do that is to temporarily connect a working screen/digitizer to each phone. A friendly local repair shop might let you use a screen they have lying around (a lot of repair shops save parts) or, if you're comfortable working inside cellphones, a complete screen assembly is available on eBay for about $40. Replace the kernel in one, then replace the screen in the other.

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
The stock Nexus 4 kernel doesn't support OTG, you need Franco's kernel. And about the only way you're going to do that is to temporarily connect a working screen/digitizer to each phone. A friendly local repair shop might let you use a screen they have lying around (a lot of repair shops save parts) or, if you're comfortable working inside cellphones, a complete screen assembly is available on eBay for about $40. Replace the kernel in one, then replace the screen in the other.

Omg you're kidding me. What about loading an alternate ROM via bootloader that supports otg out of the box?? Is that possible? Or some other way to sideload a remote app? I saw one that just needs USB debugging active - isn't there a way to do that via build prop or something? I can't believe I'd need to resort to opening it up!! There must be an easier way?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay