Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Default Re: Moto making Nexus 5

Quote Originally Posted by smooth3006 View Post
    im pretty sure the new nexus will be at least 5".
    Weird, because I'm pretty sure the next Nexus will be smaller than 5".

Quote Originally Posted by DS1331 View Post
    Phablets are pointless. Make up your mind be a phone or be a tablet, it's the teenager of cell phones.

Sent from my HTC One
    What is this even pertaining to?
    Darth Spock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bp3dots View Post
    His guess is as good as mine, since we don't have official reasoning from Google, we'll never know. I'll bet my hat the new one isn't named 4 though. Everyone meet back here when its announced!

Also, we've totally lost the topic.

Thoughts moto making it? Since I'm on VZW, I doubt I'll be seeing a Nexus anytime soon. But Itd be great if Moto did IMO. Top notch radios and battery life, and now, optimized processing, could be the best Nexus yet.
    We do have official reasoning from google. They're called the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10. The next Nexus will be the Nexus 4 (2013 model).
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by TheLibertarian View Post

What is this even pertaining to?
    I don't even remember at this point? Maybe someone said they wanted a nexus phablet

Sent from my HTC One

Global Posts
    1,562 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Google real big chance to change Nexus line with Moto and Google Play Edition devices.

Google Nexus phone seem to be closely based on the OEM partners latest device. GPE takes the OEM partners latest device and adds stock android. Why does Google have to continue build there next devices off latest device their OEM partners have available?

I say if they want X OEM phone to be a the next nexus then Google should just make a GPE version. Google would then have freedom to build something completely orginal for the Nexus line and they can start with Motorola since they have power to do so.

Now see why they make nexus device on pre existing devices because fact of coming out with nexus device within a year is tough deadline. Then they switch to different oems to make a nexus which makes the deadline even harder. I hopefully they could some how have solution to rd time if they decide make nexus devices from scratch.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AC Forums mobile app
    Last edited by bunique4life05; 08-12-2013 at 10:23 AM.
    Google is for the people and by the people. Android is for the people and by the tech people. Nexus is for the geeks and by the geeks.
    Solve
    [Nexus (A) + the latest and greatest tech] < [Nexus (B) + the best proven and optimize tech]
    Answer
    Nexus (A) is less than Nexus (B)
    Nexus (B) is greater than Nexus (A)
    ______

Weird, because no one really knows what size the next Nexus would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion78 View Post
    Given that Google finds 5" phones distasteful, it is a safe bet it won't be 5" or bigger.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Orion78 View Post
    Weird, because that was the point I was making.

Global Posts
    11,762 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

Keep the discussion civil and on-topic. If you don't care for the thread or a post, feel free to move on. If you believe a post is inappropriate, notify the moderator team by hitting the report button.

Bickering and insults will not be tolerated. Thread has been cleaned up.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
    Thanked by:
    DS1331 likes this.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    Given that Google finds 5" phones distasteful, it is a safe bet it won't be 5" or bigger.

What do you mean? Where have you heard this?

Global Posts
    5,932 Global Posts

You think we'd see a Nexus 5, then 6, and then Google would switch to adding letters?
    Nexus 6 starts up the confusion with Blade Runner. Am I buying a phone, or Roy Batty?
    Galaxy Note II stock 4.3
    Nexus 10 stock 4.4.2
    Galaxy Gear MK7
    Oster 4093 blender (rooted, Cuervo Gold ROM)

We do have official reasoning from google. They're called the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10. The next Nexus will be the Nexus 4 (2013 model).
    Link?

Global Posts
    5,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

TheLibertarian likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    Sorry, I meant to bold the "Next NExus will be the Nexus 4 (2013 model)"

The tablet sizing being the same model used for the phones is still your speculation, which I disagree with, unless you have a link which directly states otherwise.
    Banned

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bunique4life05 View Post
    Google real big chance to change Nexus line with Moto and Google Play Edition devices.

Google Nexus phone seem to be closely based on the OEM partners latest device. GPE takes the OEM partners latest device and adds stock android. Why does Google have to continue build there next devices off latest device their OEM partners have available?

I say if they want X OEM phone to be a the next nexus then Google should just make a GPE version. Google would then have freedom to build something completely orginal for the Nexus line and they can start with Motorola since they have power to do so.

Now see why they make nexus device on pre existing devices because fact of coming out with nexus device within a year is tough deadline. Then they switch to different oems to make a nexus which makes the deadline even harder. I hopefully they could some how have solution to rd time if they decide make nexus devices from scratch.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AC Forums mobile app
    A compelling argument but your forgetting one thing we root our devices and if we have said oems google play edition (gpe) we eventually get the stock builds with the custom kernels for that hardware and flash it why pay full 6-700 dollars when we can get a subsidised phone on our carriers and root then flash it if they want to disrupt this idea they would have to make another hardware variant so we can't flash the stock builds which would just **** us all off

Sent from my HTC One X+ using AC Forums mobile app

Sorry, I meant to bold the "Next NExus will be the Nexus 4 (2013 model)"

The tablet sizing being the same model used for the phones is still your speculation, which I disagree with, unless you have a link which directly states otherwise.
    Would it not be logical to speculate based off Google's history?

The most logical guess here would be that the upcoming Nexus smartphone follows the same naming system as the rest of Google's current product portfolio.

Speculating otherwise would be illogical, and there is no evidence to make that speculation.

Would it not be logical to speculate based off Google's history?

The most logical guess here would be that the upcoming Nexus smartphone follows the same naming system as the rest of Google's current product portfolio.

Speculating otherwise would be illogical, and there is no evidence to make that speculation.
    Besides the 3 previous phones that don't follow that theory at all.

Pointless to keep going back and forth at this point though.

Besides the 3 previous phones that don't follow that theory at all.

Pointless to keep going back and forth at this point though.
    The three previous phones only reinforce that it will be called the Nexus 4 and not Nexus 5. Google clearly moved away from any sort of sequential naming scheme with the most recent generation, and the new Nexus 7 also supports that Google will be sticking with their current names for future handsets.
    Thanked by:
    TheLibertarian likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

The three previous phones only reinforce that it will be called the Nexus 4 and not Nexus 5. Google clearly moved away from any sort of sequential naming scheme with the most recent generation, and the new Nexus 7 also supports that Google will be sticking with their current names for future handsets.
    Kind of like apple with the i pad and ip4 ip 4s blah blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by gothicasshole View Post
    Kind of like apple with the i pad and ip4 ip 4s blah blah blah

Apple is actually moving to the same model. The most recent iPad was just the new iPad with retina display, which replaced the iPad with retina display, which replaced the iPad 2.

Once you start getting into the higher numbers, the sequential scheme just doesn't make any sense.

Ry

Global Posts
    7,204 Global Posts

Basically, this will all come down to the screen size of the next Nexus phone. If they go giant, it'll probably be called Nexus 5 (or 6). If they're reasonable, it'll be called Nexus 4.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Basically, this will all come down to the screen size of the next Nexus phone. If they go giant, it'll probably be called Nexus 5 (or 6). If they're reasonable, it'll be called Nexus 4.
    This seems the most logical. Kind of like BMW models 1,3,5,7 roughly relate to size but then they'll throw in a few miscellaneous ones like a BMW M, Z or 6 series that aren't related to size. Kind of like what Google did with the Nexus Q. Fun to speculate like Android desert names, we'll only know when it's announced.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,204 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dss2000 View Post
    This seems the most logical. Kind of like BMW models 1,3,5,7 roughly relate to size but then they'll throw in a few miscellaneous ones like a BMW M, Z or 6 series that aren't related to size. Kind of like what Google did with the Nexus Q. Fun to speculate like Android desert names, we'll only know when it's announced.
    I like to think the Q was named because of the shape - the sphere is the O and it's base is the \. That's just me though. lol.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Quote Originally Posted by dss2000 View Post
    All BMW's model names do correspond to size. The 6 is based off the 5, but is certainly not a 7, therefore is was assigned 6. Same goes for the 4 (being a stretched 3 but smaller than a 5). "M" merely designates the high end performance model, i.e. M3, M5, etc. "Z" models are BMW's roadster variants (Z3, Z4).

BMW is quite strict with their naming structures, but then they would be because German lol.
    lets_go_android likes this.

All BMW's model names do correspond to size. The 6 is based off the 5, but is certainly not a 7, therefore is was assigned 6. Same goes for the 4 (being a stretched 3 but smaller than a 5). "M" merely designates the high end performance model, i.e. M3, M5, etc. "Z" models are BMW's roadster variants (Z3, Z4).

BMW is quite strict with their naming structures, but then they would be because German lol.
    Yes, I guess you're right. I always thought the 6 was a little smaller than the 5 because I usually see 2 door 6's around whereas 5's are usually 4 door sedans and they look a little smaller.

But yes perhaps Google is going to follow the BMW model of naming phones instead of just each year increasing the number of subsequent generations.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

And how exactly do you know Google won't follow Apple's path, keeping the same name for new generations of tablets (The new iPad, in Google's case the new Nexus 7) and adding new numbers for new generations of tablets (iPhone 5, in Google's case the Nexus 5)?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast