Moto making Nexus 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Still a rumor. Everyone picked up the story based on this guy Taylor Wimberly from AndroidandMe. He got a lot right about the Moto X when it was in the rumor phase, so that's why a lot of people are putting stock in this rumor. But I'm waiting for more confirmation from the mothership itself.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
That was the first I heard about it, though it's been a busy week and I haven't been online much.

I'd love to see KEVLAR and a RAZR TYPE BATTERY on the new Nexus. I had to ditch tmo so I'm using my S4 mostly but LG did a nice job with the N4. I hated that rattling noise and even though it was aesthetically pleasing, I can do without the glass back.

I've always loved Moto hardware, the Razr line is really nice so I hope the rumors are true.

Thanks for the heads up BD!

S4 via Android Central Appthough

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Don't get me wrong--I hope Moto makes the next Nexus, because I'm a fan of their devices too!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How come Motorola didn't start making Nexus devices when Google first purchase them?

Posted from my Nexus 4 via Android Central App

There have been a number of articles written about this. Probably the main reason was that at the time, Motorola still had a number of devices in the development pipeline (the Razr HD line, Razr M, and Razr i), and Google wanted to wait until they were completed and introduced before embarking on their first joint phone, the Moto X.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Would it be called the Nexus 5? Seems like their naming convention on the 2013 Nexus 7 was still Nexus 7. They didn't call it a Nexus 8. Seems logical that the replacement for the Nexus 4 will also be called the Nexus 4 and that the Nexus 5 would be a different class perhaps a phablet in the Note 2 class.

Posted via Android Central App

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I like the idea that a differeny company makes the nexus each time.. gives each company a chance to shine a little in the lineup

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I think 720p 2RAM is plenty ... I would like to see them step up battery life, camera, 32gb. Not looking for much.

Never been a spec *****, I think some people have unrealistic expectations and are more concerned with the spec sheet than how the device actually functions.

S4 via Android Central App

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Would it be called the Nexus 5? Seems like their naming convention on the 2013 Nexus 7 was still Nexus 7. They didn't call it a Nexus 8. Seems logical that the replacement for the Nexus 4 will also be called the Nexus 4 and that the Nexus 5 would be a different class perhaps a phablet in the Note 2 class.

Posted via Android Central App

The phones follow a number/iteration model (kind of) ie, Nexus 4 was the 4th one. The Sammy Nexus phones screwed that up with their intrusion into the name. (Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus) So it would follow that the new one will be the Nexus 5, unless it gets a manufacturer name adjustment.

The Tablets folow a screen size naming model. (Nexus 7/10) regardless of inteation or manufacturer.

Saying the new one would be the Nexus 4 again doesn't make any sense. Its not like the Nexus 4 has a 4 inch screen. (Or any other feature that would deem it "4" besides being the 4th generation of Nexus phone)

(Pure observation, not at all scientific)

Last edited:

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
The phones follow a number/iteration model (kind of) ie, Nexus 4 was the 4th one. The Sammy Nexus phones screwed that up with their intrusion into the name. (Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus) So it would follow that the new one will be the Nexus 5, unless it gets a manufacturer name adjustment.

Calling it a Nexus 4 makes more sense than calling it a Nexus 5.

What would the Nexus phone of 2015 be called? The Nexus 7 moniker is in use.

The Tablets folow a screen size naming model. (Nexus 7/10) regardless of inteation or manufacturer.

It would seem to make even less sense that two of Google's three products following one naming system, while the third does not. Would it not be more logical that Google is consistent with how their devices are named?

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Calling it a Nexus 4 makes more sense than calling it a Nexus 5.

What would the Nexus phone of 2015 be called? The Nexus 7 moniker is in use.

It would seem to make even less sense that two of Google's three products following one naming system, while the third does not. Would it not be more logical that Google is consistent with how their devices are named?

2015 could be the Nexus 6S? Heck, I don't know. But a second Nexus 4 makes way less sense considering the fact that "4" would be totally unrelated to anything this years phone would be.

The tablets are pretty obviously Size - Name related, the phones aren't. What's the 3rd product they have hardware wise with more than one model, I'm drawing a blank.

EDIT: Are you are counting the tablets as 2 devices to get three? Even so, if all 3 used the same naming structure, screen size, the phone wouldn't be the Nexus 4 anyway. It's already not in line. ( And never has been)

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
2015 could be the Nexus 6S? Heck, I don't know. But a second Nexus 4 makes way less sense considering the fact that "4" would be totally unrelated to anything this years phone would be.

The tablets are pretty obviously Size - Name related, the phones aren't. What's the 3rd product they have hardware wise with more than one model, I'm drawing a blank.

You think we'd see a Nexus 5, then 6, and then Google would switch to adding letters?

Makes more sense to grow brand recognition for their three product lines (4, 7, 10).

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
You think we'd see a Nexus 5, then 6, and then Google would switch to adding letters?

Makes more sense to grow brand recognition for their three product lines (4, 7, 10).

The 6s was a joke. C'mon now.

We'll have to disagree here. 7 and 10 make sense because the describe their products. 4 doesn't after this phone is replaced. It would make more sense to always add a manufacturer tag ie G, Galaxy, X, Xperia.. etc. to the phones than to keep a no longer decsriptive number for future generations.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Saying the new one would be the Nexus 4 again doesn't make any sense. Its not like the Nexus 4 has a 4 inch screen. (Or any other feature that would deem it "4" besides being the 4th generation of Nexus phone)

(Pure observation, not at all scientific)

Nexus 4 has a 4.7" screen, maybe that is where the 4 comes from, they round down. Maybe there will be a Phablet Nexus 5 with a 5.7" screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.