Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Default Re: Nexus coming to Verizon?

Quote Originally Posted by Pollster View Post
    The Nexus 4 was the best selling Nexus yet. I don't hear anything indicating that Google regrets not planning a VZ version.
    To take it a step further, I have about a 50% chance of buying the next Nexus.
    If I decide on the Nexus and VZW has a version, I am still leaving them, their excellent network, and my unlimited data to get it.
    This is only my personal opinion, but having a Nexus on Verizon's network is contrary to my favorite parts of the whole point of a Nexus.

Also, there's this
    Apple had to update their iOS 7 in a hurry this last month due to a security issue. If that happens with any upcoming version of Android, I sure as hell don't want to wait two months to get that update.
    Feel the same. I 've been on Verizon for years and when the Galaxy Nexus was released I jumped right on it thinking I would be getting fast updates. Well by now we all know that's not the case. It's true I am on 4.2 but we don't even get security updates. There is a thread in the verizon support forum asking when we are going to be updated. I think this question was first started early this year. As far as I can tell know one from Verizon has replied with any information. So is this how they value Nexus customers no reply one way or another about anything?

Even if Verizon does get the Nexus I will not get it from them. If I like the next Nexus I will move to another carrier and this is no problem for me because other carriers are providing good coverage in the areas I live and visit. The Nexus and Verizon = no longer worth the hassle.
    rayden8 and Pollster like this.

How reliable is CNET w/ their "predictions"??

Carrier support
    FCC documents indicate that the Nexus 5 is equipped for penta-band HSPA+ and multiple LTE bands and should support all four major carriers in the US: Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint. This could mark the first time that Google is able to offer one device across all top-tier carriers.

I'm still holding out hope here, don't judge me
    Thanked by:

I may need to wait as I will be buying either the Nexus 7 LTE or Nexus 5 for Verizon use.

Quote Originally Posted by mookiekillsit View Post
    How reliable is CNET w/ their "predictions"??

I'm still holding out hope here, don't judge me
    Lots of people holding out hope with you. The G2 received an FCC update stating compatibility around the day it was released on Verizon so fingers crossed for that here as well. Still, hope but expect Verizon to devour your dreams.

I'm jumping ship from Verizon next month. Nexus 5 + T-Mobile is a no brainer. Why anyone would continually pay so much for Verizon's service is beyond me. I've been there for the past 2 years and can honestly say that from what I've seen it's not worth the extra money. No more contracts!

Posted via Android Central App
    Problem solved, problem staying solved!
    Thanked by:
    VoltaicShock and ConTejas like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoctor 46 View Post
    I'm jumping ship from Verizon next month. Nexus 5 + T-Mobile is a no brainer. Why anyone would continually pay so much for Verizon's service is beyond me. I've been there for the past 2 years and can honestly say that from what I've seen it's not worth the extra money. No more contracts!
    Posted via Android Central App
    Here's why.
    15 minutes ago, a colleague and I are trying to troubleshoot an issue with a web app on Android Firefox. She has her T-Mobile phone out and grimaces looking at zero bars. I continue troubleshooting with four bars of solid service.
    Another why?
    Yesterday, I needed to act as if a particular laptop was off our network, so I tethered it to my GNex.

ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

Here's why.
    15 minutes ago, a colleague and I are trying to troubleshoot an issue with a web app on Android Firefox. She has her T-Mobile phone out and grimaces looking at zero bars. I continue troubleshooting with four bars of solid service.
    Another why?
    Yesterday, I needed to act as if a particular laptop was off our network, so I tethered it to my GNex.
    Well, that's your reason, and it's a good one. The fact remains that for the majority of the population in the USA, aka people who live in and even remotely close to a metropolitan area, Tmobile service is excellent. I had Verizon for years on a corporate plan and travel often for business. That means I've most likely been to a lot more areas of the country than most people (by far), and I've been nothing but satisfied with Tmobile's service over the past year. I get much better (at home ~ 10 miles from CC Philly...) and much, much faster LTE speeds on my Nexus 4 than I did on any Verizon LTE phone (Gnex/SGS3/GN2) post the Tbolt days when nobody was on their LTE network. Verizon did generally have better building penetration due to the frequencies on which their network operates. Not even remotely worth the extra $75 I was paying them a month...

Lastly, what we know to be the Nexus 5 will not work on Verizon. Google makes their money off of all Androids, they don't want to have Big Red messing up their baby again. Verizon needs to sell the Nexus line even less than Google cares to offer it to them.

Quote Originally Posted by dart86 View Post
    For me, the whole point of having a Nexus device on Verizon is I don't have to wait for Verizon to get around to releasing the update I just have to pick a rom to install. Not sure I could support another HTC device (non-Nexus) after the Thunderbolt debacle. If all you want is the straight android experience go MotoX. My thoughts are if Verizon ever gets another Nexus it will be a Moto based on their lengthy relationship.
    I don't understand the obsession with instant updates. So what if it takes Verizon an extra month or even two months to "approve" it? I would LOVE to own Verizon N5 because of the Nexus user experience.... I couldn't care less if my update is delayed a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ConTejas View Post
    The fact remains that for the majority of the population in the USA, aka people who live in and even remotely close to a metropolitan area, Tmobile service is excellent.
    There's no need to be snotty. I never said I didn't know why anyone would be on T-Mobile. Since you're bringing the above up, though, I'll mention today's story took place on Michigan Ave. in Chicago. So you don't mean the majority of people. You mean you.

The Doctor made it out that all VZW customers are stupid. I guess I could have just said that I signed a contract less than two years ago. What, am I supposed to pay to dump out early when my current phone is on VZW and the network rocks simply because they're bastards? I've got the extra $20 a month...
    rayden8 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tr-1 View Post
    I don't understand the obsession with instant updates. So what if it takes Verizon an extra month or even two months to "approve" it? I would LOVE to own Verizon N5 because of the Nexus user experience.... I couldn't care less if my update is delayed a bit.
    An extra month or two? Hahahahahah.
    Comedy gold there, bud.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
    gnr_2 likes this.

ROM
    Viper

Or you could just unlock the bootloader and have the update the same week it is released. Which quite frankly i dont know why anyone would not do with a nexus no matter what carrier you are on. If you are not going to unlock and mod, then there is no reason to have a nexus. Especially now that the moto x exists. Too many compromises just to get the latest (many times unfinished) updates from Google.

That being said, if the nexus ever does come to Verizon, I will buy it and love it.
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired

This is a good thing. It took about 6 months before we were updated from 4.1 to 4.2. We still haven't seen 4.3 and we won't. Why? because Verizon's support timeframe is about 20 months. After that there will be no more updates at all. Lets see.... there was an important security update for 4.3 that was rolled out in the spring.... something about the phone being able to be hijacked and your information grabbed and used by someone else or something like that. We don't have that security update...but wait a minute... we don't have 4.3 either so now I just turn the phone on when I need to make a call then quickly turn the phone off because I don't have the fix that was issued 2 days after the breach discovery.

Meanwhile Verizon is busy rolling out updates to the phones they actually support THIS year, ...and the phones from 2 years ago...well they are no longer supported so you need to buy a new phone and get a NEW 2 year contract to lock you back into Verizon so that you can get anything from them. AT&T is better but not by much. The problem is the mobile phone business model that is being used in the USA. We should be able to buy a damn phone and then get and pay for only phone service from a provider. But no that is not how it works. so if you like what is going on...please continue with it,.. and wait until the carrier decides that you are WORTHY enough for them to give you system and security updates..after all you can just turn your phone off after you make a phone call so I can't hack into it.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrod6 View Post
    This is a good thing. It took about 6 months before we were updated from 4.1 to 4.2. We still haven't seen 4.3 and we won't. Why? because Verizon's support timeframe is about 20 months. After that there will be no more updates at all. Lets see.... there was an important security update for 4.3 that was rolled out in the spring.... something about the phone being able to be hijacked and your information grabbed and used by someone else or something like that. We don't have that security update...but wait a minute... we don't have 4.3 either so now I just turn the phone on when I need to make a call then quickly turn the phone off because I don't have the fix that was issued 2 days after the breach discovery.

Meanwhile Verizon is busy rolling out updates to the phones they actually support THIS year, ...and the phones from 2 years ago...well they are no longer supported so you need to buy a new phone and get a NEW 2 year contract to lock you back into Verizon so that you can get anything from them. AT&T is better but not by much. The problem is the mobile phone business model that is being used in the USA. We should be able to buy a damn phone and then get and pay for only phone service from a provider. But no that is not how it works. so if you like what is going on...please continue with it,.. and wait until the carrier decides that you are WORTHY enough for them to give you system and security updates..after all you can just turn your phone off after you make a phone call so I can't hack into it.
    You can. Most people just don't.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

This is just too extreme! Only a tiny fraction of Android devices is running 4.3.... Heck, even 4.2
    Shutting down your phone between your calls gotta be a joke... You can't be serious.
    But I do get your frustration about Verizon. Can't you do a manual update though (flash)?

So given the news with the manual leaked, that shows both WCDMA/LTE/CDMA and granted the manual is for a different version for outside USA isn't it highly possible of CDMA for Verizon?

Also when Nexus came out on Verizon and all it was a failure. But it was an enthusiast phone. Today Google has Nexus commercials about how to ask a girl out. You can't pass on that sort of free marketing.

Yeah I could flash but why should I have to? I've gotten the phone from them, I pay my bill, why must I know turn into a tech and flash an update on my phone because they have no more interest in supporting it?

On the other hand My Nexus 7 (2012) receives the updates about 3 days after they are announced. I turn it on...It's been downloaded to be installed. This is what I expected when I bought a Nexus device.

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOPK 24 w/ GLaDOS

My brain is all kinds of confused. I've jumped from wanting the Moto X, to One, to Note 3, to One Max. Now I hear the Nexus 5 "might" work for Verizon. Come on man. I can't take it anymore!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
    rayden8 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by evan_adams View Post
    So given the news with the manual leaked, that shows both WCDMA/LTE/CDMA and granted the manual is for a different version for outside USA isn't it highly possible of CDMA for Verizon?
    In one of the earlier rumor articles, one of the editors here at AC said that the LTE frequencies which this "Nexus 5" supports (according to the FCC docs) are not the ones which Verizon uses. That's why it's unlikely that the Nexus 5, as currently leaked, would be available on Verizon. It's still possible that the leaked frequencies were wrong or incomplete, or that there may be a separate, exclusive to VZW version of the Nexus 5 later, but the chances aren't so good. More likely is that the CDMA support is there for Sprint.

Still, nobody (or at least nobody who can publicly disclose anything) knows for sure at this point, so we could be surprised.
    gnr_2 likes this.

Everyone here who is pushing for this to be on Verizon.
    Which do you want? Nexus 5 on Verizon or Nexus 5 with reasonably timed Android OTA updates?
    You can't choose both. You could choose Nexus 5 on Verizon with timely ROMS, but that's where you get confronted hard with the fact that Google does not give a care about your ROMS.
    Google is only looking at the choice I presented and their decision was made 18 months ago.

ROM
    Viper

Everyone here who is pushing for this to be on Verizon.
    Which do you want? Nexus 5 on Verizon or Nexus 5 with reasonably timed Android OTA updates?
    You can't choose both. You could choose Nexus 5 on Verizon with timely ROMS, but that's where you get confronted hard with the fact that Google does not give a care about your ROMS.
    Google is only looking at the choice I presented and their decision was made 18 months ago.
    Verizon

Ota s mean nothing to me. I will unlock the bootloader and get my updates.
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)

Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    Verizon

Ota s mean nothing to me. I will unlock the bootloader and get my updates.
    No you won't. I was explaining the equation for why it will not be on Verizon
    Your choice, like mine is Nexus or Verizon. Not OTAs or ROMs. Gnex was the last phone to get that choice for a while
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Viper

No you won't. I was explaining the equation for why it will not be on Verizon
    Your choice, like mine is Nexus or Verizon. Not OTAs or ROMs. Gnex was the last phone to get that choice for a while
    I misunderstood the question.

I have gone back and forth about it many times. I have the option of leaving Verizon, but the only other option is att, and that is really no different. Only big plus would be to get the nexus. Everything else says stay with Verizon.

I would choose "AT&T takes the opportunity to steal Verizon customers by offering 15GB/month accounts to current VZW customers with unlimited data".
    Pollster likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by drhill View Post
    I would choose "AT&T takes the opportunity to steal Verizon customers by offering 15GB/month accounts to current VZW customers with unlimited data".
    What is this you are talking about? Please explain more.

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOPK 24 w/ GLaDOS

What is this you are talking about? Please explain more.
    I think what he's saying is the Nexus 5 isn't coming to Verizon. And people on VZ that have unlimited data don't want to leave VZ. But if AT&T offered 15 GB/mo of data for the price of unlimited on VZ, then people would leave VZ and switch to AT&T and get the Nexus 5.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
    Thanked by:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast