Nexus coming to Verizon?

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I could flash but why should I have to? I've gotten the phone from them, I pay my bill, why must I know turn into a tech and flash an update on my phone because they have no more interest in supporting it?

On the other hand My Nexus 7 (2012) receives the updates about 3 days after they are announced. I turn it on...It's been downloaded to be installed. This is what I expected when I bought a Nexus device.

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
My brain is all kinds of confused. I've jumped from wanting the Moto X, to One, to Note 3, to One Max. Now I hear the Nexus 5 "might" work for Verizon. Come on man. I can't take it anymore!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

lets_go_android

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
So given the news with the manual leaked, that shows both WCDMA/LTE/CDMA and granted the manual is for a different version for outside USA isn't it highly possible of CDMA for Verizon?
In one of the earlier rumor articles, one of the editors here at AC said that the LTE frequencies which this "Nexus 5" supports (according to the FCC docs) are not the ones which Verizon uses. That's why it's unlikely that the Nexus 5, as currently leaked, would be available on Verizon. It's still possible that the leaked frequencies were wrong or incomplete, or that there may be a separate, exclusive to VZW version of the Nexus 5 later, but the chances aren't so good. More likely is that the CDMA support is there for Sprint.

Still, nobody (or at least nobody who can publicly disclose anything) knows for sure at this point, so we could be surprised.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Everyone here who is pushing for this to be on Verizon.
Which do you want? Nexus 5 on Verizon or Nexus 5 with reasonably timed Android OTA updates?
You can't choose both. You could choose Nexus 5 on Verizon with timely ROMS, but that's where you get confronted hard with the fact that Google does not give a care about your ROMS.
Google is only looking at the choice I presented and their decision was made 18 months ago.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Everyone here who is pushing for this to be on Verizon.
Which do you want? Nexus 5 on Verizon or Nexus 5 with reasonably timed Android OTA updates?
You can't choose both. You could choose Nexus 5 on Verizon with timely ROMS, but that's where you get confronted hard with the fact that Google does not give a care about your ROMS.
Google is only looking at the choice I presented and their decision was made 18 months ago.

Verizon

Ota s mean nothing to me. I will unlock the bootloader and get my updates.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Verizon

Ota s mean nothing to me. I will unlock the bootloader and get my updates.

No you won't. I was explaining the equation for why it will not be on Verizon
Your choice, like mine is Nexus or Verizon. Not OTAs or ROMs. Gnex was the last phone to get that choice for a while

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
No you won't. I was explaining the equation for why it will not be on Verizon
Your choice, like mine is Nexus or Verizon. Not OTAs or ROMs. Gnex was the last phone to get that choice for a while

I misunderstood the question.

I have gone back and forth about it many times. I have the option of leaving Verizon, but the only other option is att, and that is really no different. Only big plus would be to get the nexus. Everything else says stay with Verizon.

drhill

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I would choose "AT&T takes the opportunity to steal Verizon customers by offering 15GB/month accounts to current VZW customers with unlimited data". ;)

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
What is this you are talking about? Please explain more.

I think what he's saying is the Nexus 5 isn't coming to Verizon. And people on VZ that have unlimited data don't want to leave VZ. But if AT&T offered 15 GB/mo of data for the price of unlimited on VZ, then people would leave VZ and switch to AT&T and get the Nexus 5.

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
To my prior comment, I don't think that's going to happen. 15 GB of data seems like a lot and super expensive. I can see like maybe 5-10 GB, but not 15.

drhill

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah that's wishful thinking on my part, sorry. For me 15GB a month would basically eliminate any scare of going over a data limit for my wife and I (unless a shady app stole my bits! ;) ). I priced it out assuming we would get the same discount on AT&T as Verizon (which is likely) it would be around $50 more to do a 15GB plan on AT&T. A 10GB AT&T plan would be around $20-30 more than on Verizon.

evan_adams

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
all this talk is making me trepedacious about signing up with Verizon. I get zero Sprint signal in my house. Father in law gets LTE in my house with Verizon so we are moving there. arg

Predationz

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I think AT&T would make a killing if they did what Verizon is doing to get customers off of unlimited. If they offered 6GB/month for same price as people are paying for unlimited + the availability of the nexus 5, Att would gain many new customers.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm jumping ship from Verizon next month. Nexus 5 + T-Mobile is a no brainer. Why anyone would continually pay so much for Verizon's service is beyond me. I've been there for the past 2 years and can honestly say that from what I've seen it's not worth the extra money. No more contracts!

Posted via Android Central App

I'll tell you why, Because their coverage and commitment to future networks are always 2nd to none. Why would i buy an amazing phone on a crappy network like sprint or tmobile? Why do you think both of those carriers have unlimited still? Because it's the only upside they have to compete. Verizons lack of nexus phones, later release dates and prices do **** me off sometimes, But when my friends are constantly complaining about coverage, speed and horrible cs, Thats when i say to my self its definitely worth the extra cash.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Also i want to put this out there for discussion. People keep complaining about Verizon and them skipping all these Nexus devices, But what people keep failing to understand is Verizon is not a Hardware company. When these nexus devices are being made by (LG, Samsung, HTC etc..), Is it not up to these companies and google to put the right radios in to support different carriers. It's not like the Nexus 4 is CDMA device, But verizon decided to not allow it on their network, It's simply put that they are GSM/HSPA+/LTE(Different band) radios that are inside these phones. Could it be that these manufacturers don't want to have to make a different model just to support CDMA?

Personally, I don't think we can sit here and blame Verizon for the lack of nexus devices. Verizon is usually good with bringing the top devices (S4, NOTE3, LGG2, HTCONE, MOTO X, IPHONE,) So why would they not bring the Nexus 5 to their network? I guess only time will tell...

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Also i want to put this out there for discussion. People keep complaining about Verizon and them skipping all these Nexus devices, But what people keep failing to understand is Verizon is not a Hardware company. When these nexus devices are being made by (LG, Samsung, HTC etc..), Is it not up to these companies and google to put the right radios in to support different carriers. It's not like the Nexus 4 is CDMA device, But verizon decided to not allow it on their network, It's simply put that they are GSM/HSPA+/LTE(Different band) radios that are inside these phones. Could it be that these manufacturers don't want to have to make a different model just to support CDMA?

Personally, I don't think we can sit here and blame Verizon for the lack of nexus devices. Verizon is usually good with bringing the top devices (S4, NOTE3, LGG2, HTCONE, MOTO X, IPHONE,) So why would they not bring the Nexus 5 to their network? I guess only time will tell...

You don't understand Verizon, Verizon has to approve everything that goes on there network. Plus they change phones the way they want them to be, the manufacturer has to give in to Verizon's demands or Verizon won't allow you on there network. Google doesn't want to deal with changing there device, and having to get certification by Verizon just to release a update on Verizon. See the poor galaxy nexus as a example. Verizon is the worst carrier for Smart phones, holding updates, removing features, changing the size of the phone and buttons of devices, branding every where. I'm leaving Verizon even if the Nexus does come to there overpriced network.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
You don't understand Verizon, Verizon has to approve everything that goes on there network. Plus they change phones the way they want them to be, the manufacturer has to give in to Verizon's demands or Verizon won't allow you on there network. Google doesn't want to deal with changing there device, and having to get certification by Verizon just to release a update on Verizon. See the poor galaxy nexus as a example. Verizon is the worst carrier for Smart phones, holding updates, removing features, changing the size of the phone and buttons of devices, branding every where. I'm leaving Verizon even if the Nexus does come to there overpriced network.

I do understand them, Because I work for them lol. I know some of the crap they pull. Their far from perfect, but my point is we can't assume it's their fault they don't get a nexus device. There other carriers that didn't get it as well.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I do understand them, Because I work for them lol. I know some of the crap they pull. Their far from perfect, but my point is we can't assume it's their fault they don't get a nexus device. There other carriers that didn't get it as well.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Come on now...if Verizon WANTED a Nexus device, they would have a Nexus device.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae