Nexus coming to Verizon?

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Yes they should but they wont. I would have left long ago if i didn't live in the foothills where i need a big footprint of coverage not delivered by the others. Why vzw why!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
He is right about one thing... their coverage is the best there is and it's not even close. I have so many people complain about coverage from other carriers. It's a shame. Do you want a Nexus or do you want the best company for cell phones?? Pick one.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
They could be releasing volte devices early to gain hype for it. Much like sprint did with their original LTE device lineup.

And there were some pretty well founded rumors that once volte was rolled out enough, Verizon would stop producing CDMA phones altogether, and only allow 4g phones on their network. A move that could only benefit them and their consumers. Verizon sees decreased maintenance for not having to maintain a 3g network, and the consumer sees increased battery life due to no CDMA radio.

To add to that, Verizon does have the largest 4g network out of every carrier, so the towers are already in place for volte. Its just a matter of upgrading their hardware to be volte compatible. Which they have to do tower by tower like sprint is with network vision.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

They won't release a VoLTE phone with no fallback to cdma being how their lte is fully rolled out yet and would have nothing to fall back on in the case you arent in an lte area.

- - - Updated - - -

He is right about one thing... their coverage is the best there is and it's not even close. I have so many people complain about coverage from other carriers. It's a shame. Do you want a Nexus or do you want the best company for cell phones?? Pick one.

Agree. It is a phone first and foremost, what good is having all the bells and whistles if when you need it most as a phone you are SOL?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
And their last Nexus experiment went over so well... NOT!

The galaxy nexus was a POS. I mean it had a ton of issues with samsung and their poor radios, I mean even sprint takes forever to get updates to its nexus and they are supposedly getting the next nexus.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I do understand them, Because I work for them lol. I know some of the crap they pull. Their far from perfect, but my point is we can't assume it's their fault they don't get a nexus device. There other carriers that didn't get it as well.

Every other carrier is getting the nexus though, even sprint which uses cdma as well..... Verizon just doesn't care. They have gotten so large they feel they can do what they want. I hope TMO can expand their coverage in the next year or so and i would switch in a heartbeat if that happened.

took2089

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Nothing official other than the fcc docs that list the Lte frequencies the phone is capable of connecting to. three of those frequency bands happen to be Sprints.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Really hoping its fully unlocked to work on AT&T tmobile and sprint out the box :)

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
How is this their fault? Samsung made the galaxy nexus. Verizon just provides the network. Verizon isn't a hardware company.

How is it Verizon's fault... I'm no expert... so if you don't know you really should go over to the Verizon Nexus forum and read a few of the threads about why Samsung couldn't push the updates as quickly to Verizon's version like they could on GSM radio phones.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Who knows. Could be a while. Unlock the bootloader and you can get it the same week from the dev community more than likely.

I honestly don't know what version the carrier GNex is on. My wife is still on 4.2.2 but it's a port, mine was on 4.3 before I went moto x. 4.2.2 took about 2-3 days, 4.3 took a little under 3 hours. I agree, no reason to worry about carrier updates on a Nexus.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I've never seen a quote attributable to any Google or Verizon exec that indicates there is any bad blood between the two companies, or any other such nonsense. Clearly they have different perspective on the nature of the mobile industry and that's totally fine. A lack of specific options can usually be boiled down to a matter of ROI. It'll cost X in dollars (added production costs, modifications, certifications, testing, components, logistics, etc) and Y in time to make this happen, and we're likely to see Z as an expected benefit. If Z is not MUCH bigger than the value of X+Y, it's not a straighforward call. If Verizon really really wanted a Nexus, I'm sure they could offer to offset the delta for Google and LG... but then what's the benefit to them? The 2-5% of their base that know what a Nexus and happen to be shopping buy a device that's less profitable for Verizon to carry... compared to the 1-2% of additional consumers that may carrier hop to get this device. My guess is the ROI is very lopsided on this and not as clear cut an opportunity as it would seem to us, who all know and love what the Nexus means. (figures are ballpark, not official stats)

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I do understand them, Because I work for them lol. I know some of the crap they pull. Their far from perfect, but my point is we can't assume it's their fault they don't get a nexus device. There other carriers that didn't get it as well.

It is completely Verizon's fault... They bend over and grab their ankles for the iPhone and sold their soul to get it on their network. Apple puts out an update....Verizon iPhone gets it the same day as every other carrier. Do you really think that LG said no to putting in the correct LTE radios for VZW, heaven forbid they added the right band and sold even more Nexus devices. Verizon said NO DEAL!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It is completely Verizon's fault... They bend over and grab their ankles for the iPhone and sold their soul to get it on their network. Apple puts out an update....Verizon iPhone gets it the same day as every other carrier. Do you really think that LG said no to putting in the correct LTE radios for VZW, heaven forbid they added the right band and sold even more Nexus devices. Verizon said NO DEAL!

iOS updates and iPhones both go through carrier certifications. They simply don't schedule a release until it's fully complete so that the process is invisible to the users.

Gridiron61

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
All I gotta say is, They better get it. So far it looks like they will.

since im completely ignorant to all-things cell phone and cell phone comapnies, can you explain why you say this? i have a gnex on verizon and intend to stay on verizon, but im dying to upgrade to nexus 5.

not that it means much, but when i spoke to a verizon rep about getting my current gnex fixed i told him i intend on buying the nexus 5. he said there shouldn't be a problem; id just have to bring it in to him so he could connect it to the network