Nexus coming to Verizon?

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
VZ has the largest customer base so ignoring them is not the optimal strategy. A limited release through VZ would make the VZ enthusiasts happy and be additional revenue to Google.

This is what has me holding out hope. If you can sell a device to 5 million people or 10 million people, I think I know what the answer would be.....

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Never say never so I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see it in VZ. We all know that the relationship between Google and VZ had issues because of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus launch. The problem with the VZ GN was as much Googles as VZ's. It never should have been exclusive to VZ. When it came out as an unlocked GSM phone it did much better, even though it was released 6 months after the VZ launch. VZ (or any of the other carriers) is not going to push a low margin phone they can't leverage to bring in additional revenue, i.e. carrier bloatware. At best it will be a secondary product for any of the carriers. Google struck gold when they sold the N4 at launch as an unlocked GSM phone at a very attractive price. The demand overwhelmed them because their prior Nexus marketing strategy was very underwhelming.

So I anticipate the same launch strategy for the N5 and a subsequent release to some carriers. VZ has the largest customer base so ignoring them is not the optimal strategy. A limited release through VZ would make the VZ enthusiasts happy and be additional revenue to Google.

The launch isn't what chafes Google's hide. GNex here on Verizon, and do I have 4.3? No. The Google has made it clear that they want to address fragmentation. They stated openly that they're pissed that carriers are holding back the updates. One of the few things that they've said about the Nexus line is that it is about pushing the boundaries of what Android can do. How do you push the boundaries when the device isn't even on the current version?

That's why the N4 was strictly and explicitly unlocked.

If Google wants Nexus devices to get fast updates direct from themselves, ignoring VZW is the ONLY strategy

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
If Google wants Nexus devices to get fast updates direct from themselves, ignoring VZW is the ONLY strategy

That's pretty much what I meant. There will never be an initial launch with any carrier again. But later there could be an offering through CDMA carriers. There is a rather large customer base on VZ that will not move off it for various reasons. Google probably won't ignore this market.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
The launch isn't what chafes Google's hide. GNex here on Verizon, and do I have 4.3? No. The Google has made it clear that they want to address fragmentation. They stated openly that they're pissed that carriers are holding back the updates. One of the few things that they've said about the Nexus line is that it is about pushing the boundaries of what Android can do. How do you push the boundaries when the device isn't even on the current version?

That's why the N4 was strictly and explicitly unlocked.

That's pretty much what I meant. There will never be an initial launch with any carrier again. But later there could be an offering through CDMA carriers. There is a rather large customer base on VZ that will not move off it for various reasons. Google probably won't ignore this market.

The Nexus 4 was the best selling Nexus yet. I don't hear anything indicating that Google regrets not planning a VZ version.
To take it a step further, I have about a 50% chance of buying the next Nexus.
If I decide on the Nexus and VZW has a version, I am still leaving them, their excellent network, and my unlimited data to get it.
This is only my personal opinion, but having a Nexus on Verizon's network is contrary to my favorite parts of the whole point of a Nexus.

Also, there's this
Apple had to update their iOS 7 in a hurry this last month due to a security issue. If that happens with any upcoming version of Android, I sure as hell don't want to wait two months to get that update.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus 4 was the best selling Nexus yet. I don't hear anything indicating that Google regrets not planning a VZ version.
To take it a step further, I have about a 50% chance of buying the next Nexus.
If I decide on the Nexus and VZW has a version, I am still leaving them, their excellent network, and my unlimited data to get it.
This is only my personal opinion, but having a Nexus on Verizon's network is contrary to my favorite parts of the whole point of a Nexus.

Also, there's this
Apple had to update their iOS 7 in a hurry this last month due to a security issue. If that happens with any upcoming version of Android, I sure as hell don't want to wait two months to get that update.

Feel the same. I 've been on Verizon for years and when the Galaxy Nexus was released I jumped right on it thinking I would be getting fast updates. Well by now we all know that's not the case. It's true I am on 4.2 but we don't even get security updates. There is a thread in the verizon support forum asking when we are going to be updated. I think this question was first started early this year. As far as I can tell know one from Verizon has replied with any information. So is this how they value Nexus customers no reply one way or another about anything?

Even if Verizon does get the Nexus I will not get it from them. If I like the next Nexus I will move to another carrier and this is no problem for me because other carriers are providing good coverage in the areas I live and visit. The Nexus and Verizon = no longer worth the hassle.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
How reliable is CNET w/ their "predictions"??

Carrier support
FCC documents indicate that the Nexus 5 is equipped for penta-band HSPA+ and multiple LTE bands and should support all four major carriers in the US: Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint. This could mark the first time that Google is able to offer one device across all top-tier carriers.

Google Nexus 5 - Smartphones - CNET Reviews

I'm still holding out hope here, don't judge me :)

TheDoctor 46

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm jumping ship from Verizon next month. Nexus 5 + T-Mobile is a no brainer. Why anyone would continually pay so much for Verizon's service is beyond me. I've been there for the past 2 years and can honestly say that from what I've seen it's not worth the extra money. No more contracts!

Posted via Android Central App

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm jumping ship from Verizon next month. Nexus 5 + T-Mobile is a no brainer. Why anyone would continually pay so much for Verizon's service is beyond me. I've been there for the past 2 years and can honestly say that from what I've seen it's not worth the extra money. No more contracts!
Posted via Android Central App

Here's why.
15 minutes ago, a colleague and I are trying to troubleshoot an issue with a web app on Android Firefox. She has her T-Mobile phone out and grimaces looking at zero bars. I continue troubleshooting with four bars of solid service.
Another why?
Yesterday, I needed to act as if a particular laptop was off our network, so I tethered it to my GNex.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Here's why.
15 minutes ago, a colleague and I are trying to troubleshoot an issue with a web app on Android Firefox. She has her T-Mobile phone out and grimaces looking at zero bars. I continue troubleshooting with four bars of solid service.
Another why?
Yesterday, I needed to act as if a particular laptop was off our network, so I tethered it to my GNex.

Well, that's your reason, and it's a good one. The fact remains that for the majority of the population in the USA, aka people who live in and even remotely close to a metropolitan area, Tmobile service is excellent. I had Verizon for years on a corporate plan and travel often for business. That means I've most likely been to a lot more areas of the country than most people (by far), and I've been nothing but satisfied with Tmobile's service over the past year. I get much better (at home ~ 10 miles from CC Philly...) and much, much faster LTE speeds on my Nexus 4 than I did on any Verizon LTE phone (Gnex/SGS3/GN2) post the Tbolt days when nobody was on their LTE network. Verizon did generally have better building penetration due to the frequencies on which their network operates. Not even remotely worth the extra $75 I was paying them a month...

Lastly, what we know to be the Nexus 5 will not work on Verizon. Google makes their money off of all Androids, they don't want to have Big Red messing up their baby again. Verizon needs to sell the Nexus line even less than Google cares to offer it to them.

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
For me, the whole point of having a Nexus device on Verizon is I don't have to wait for Verizon to get around to releasing the update I just have to pick a rom to install. Not sure I could support another HTC device (non-Nexus) after the Thunderbolt debacle. If all you want is the straight android experience go MotoX. My thoughts are if Verizon ever gets another Nexus it will be a Moto based on their lengthy relationship.

I don't understand the obsession with instant updates. So what if it takes Verizon an extra month or even two months to "approve" it? I would LOVE to own Verizon N5 because of the Nexus user experience.... I couldn't care less if my update is delayed a bit.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
The fact remains that for the majority of the population in the USA, aka people who live in and even remotely close to a metropolitan area, Tmobile service is excellent.

There's no need to be snotty. I never said I didn't know why anyone would be on T-Mobile. Since you're bringing the above up, though, I'll mention today's story took place on Michigan Ave. in Chicago. So you don't mean the majority of people. You mean you.

The Doctor made it out that all VZW customers are stupid. I guess I could have just said that I signed a contract less than two years ago. What, am I supposed to pay to dump out early when my current phone is on VZW and the network rocks simply because they're bastards? I've got the extra $20 a month...

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand the obsession with instant updates. So what if it takes Verizon an extra month or even two months to "approve" it? I would LOVE to own Verizon N5 because of the Nexus user experience.... I couldn't care less if my update is delayed a bit.

An extra month or two? Hahahahahah.
Comedy gold there, bud.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

Or you could just unlock the bootloader and have the update the same week it is released. Which quite frankly i dont know why anyone would not do with a nexus no matter what carrier you are on. If you are not going to unlock and mod, then there is no reason to have a nexus. Especially now that the moto x exists. Too many compromises just to get the latest (many times unfinished) updates from Google.

That being said, if the nexus ever does come to Verizon, I will buy it and love it.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site

This is a good thing. It took about 6 months before we were updated from 4.1 to 4.2. We still haven't seen 4.3 and we won't. Why? because Verizon's support timeframe is about 20 months. After that there will be no more updates at all. Lets see.... there was an important security update for 4.3 that was rolled out in the spring.... something about the phone being able to be hijacked and your information grabbed and used by someone else or something like that. We don't have that security update...but wait a minute... we don't have 4.3 either so now I just turn the phone on when I need to make a call then quickly turn the phone off because I don't have the fix that was issued 2 days after the breach discovery.

Meanwhile Verizon is busy rolling out updates to the phones they actually support THIS year, ...and the phones from 2 years ago...well they are no longer supported so you need to buy a new phone and get a NEW 2 year contract to lock you back into Verizon so that you can get anything from them. AT&T is better but not by much. The problem is the mobile phone business model that is being used in the USA. We should be able to buy a damn phone and then get and pay for only phone service from a provider. But no that is not how it works. so if you like what is going on...please continue with it,.. and wait until the carrier decides that you are WORTHY enough for them to give you system and security updates..after all you can just turn your phone off after you make a phone call so I can't hack into it.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
This is a good thing. It took about 6 months before we were updated from 4.1 to 4.2. We still haven't seen 4.3 and we won't. Why? because Verizon's support timeframe is about 20 months. After that there will be no more updates at all. Lets see.... there was an important security update for 4.3 that was rolled out in the spring.... something about the phone being able to be hijacked and your information grabbed and used by someone else or something like that. We don't have that security update...but wait a minute... we don't have 4.3 either so now I just turn the phone on when I need to make a call then quickly turn the phone off because I don't have the fix that was issued 2 days after the breach discovery.

Meanwhile Verizon is busy rolling out updates to the phones they actually support THIS year, ...and the phones from 2 years ago...well they are no longer supported so you need to buy a new phone and get a NEW 2 year contract to lock you back into Verizon so that you can get anything from them. AT&T is better but not by much. The problem is the mobile phone business model that is being used in the USA. We should be able to buy a damn phone and then get and pay for only phone service from a provider. But no that is not how it works. so if you like what is going on...please continue with it,.. and wait until the carrier decides that you are WORTHY enough for them to give you system and security updates..after all you can just turn your phone off after you make a phone call so I can't hack into it.

You can. Most people just don't.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site

This is just too extreme! Only a tiny fraction of Android devices is running 4.3.... Heck, even 4.2
Shutting down your phone between your calls gotta be a joke... You can't be serious.
But I do get your frustration about Verizon. Can't you do a manual update though (flash)?

evan_adams

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
So given the news with the manual leaked, that shows both WCDMA/LTE/CDMA and granted the manual is for a different version for outside USA isn't it highly possible of CDMA for Verizon?

Also when Nexus came out on Verizon and all it was a failure. But it was an enthusiast phone. Today Google has Nexus commercials about how to ask a girl out. You can't pass on that sort of free marketing.