Opinions on name?

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
What does everyone think the new device should be named?
I personally think Google should drop numbering altogether... Just call it the Google Nexus. No confusion with screen size and it kinda unifies the brand a little better. Any numbering can be used to distinguish tablets.

Posted via Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I kinda like that idea. My hunch is that now we "know" it's a 5" screen (4.96") that the expectation of it being called a Nexus 5 is much higher, but I'd be game for a change. As the second of 4 to have a number in it's name, I think there isn't that much of a precedent to break if they want to establish a new strategy.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I actually prefer a company to pick a naming convention and stick with it for a while. If you just dropped the number and called it "the Nexus," it can get even more confusing, kind of like how there used to be an HTC One V, One X, One etc. etc., and now the latest is just the One.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I actually prefer a company to pick a naming convention and stick with it for a while. If you just dropped the number and called it "the Nexus," it can get even more confusing, kind of like how there used to be an HTC One V, One X, One etc. etc., and now the latest is just the One.

I agree with the appeal of consistency, but they haven't really established one yet in phones. In the tablet world, it seems like size = the number but if this one is 5, is it because of the screen size or because it's the 5th? What happens in 2014 assuming the next one is 5" too. Is it the Nexus 5 2014 or is it the Nexus 6? 2015 becomes confusing if 2014 is 6, because then there are two 7's ;)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've always been of the opinion that the numbers refer to the general screen size, regardless of whether it's a phone or a tablet. It's probably just a coincidence that the N4 was the 4th Nexus phone. My guess is that they'll stick with the screen size numbering, and tack on a year to the name, just as with the Nexus 7 versions. It's not entirely elegant, but adding a .1 or .2 can also be confusing, because other companies like Samsung have incorporated decimals into the names of their tablets to specify exact sizes (like the Galaxy Tab 7.7).

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Is it the Nexus 5 2014 or is it the Nexus 6? 2015 becomes confusing if 2014 is 6, because then there are two 7's ;)

Not to mention that the Nexus 6 is the class of rebel replicants in Blade Runner.

They can't drop numbering altogether and just call it the "Nexus" because there's no way to differentiate from this year's model to the next. Simple numbering produces the bind that you identified, because unlike Apple, Google has branded its phones and tablets with the same name. Plus the tablets are being identified by screen size while the phones have been more or less chronologically numbered. A Nexus 5 with a 5" screen would be more coincidental than anything else, I would think.

Dropping the sequential number and numbering only by year is possible because the phones are always released at the end of the year -- if its called the Nexus 2014, you'll never think you're getting last year's/the earlier version unless you do somehow get it in 2015 (at which point the Nexus 2015 will have already been released). They could do the same with the Nexus 10 because of its release date -- the new one being released at the end of the year could be called the Nexus 10 2014 -- but the Nexus 7 is a little problematic because of its mid-year release date. Is the Nexus 7 2/next gen/whatever the Nexus 7 2013 or the Nexus 7 2014? I would guess Nexus 7 2013. Google provides no help -- it's just called the "New Nexus 7" on Play.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
It will be nexus 5 more than likely. Nexus 4 makes no sense if it has a 5" screen. They can start the "nexus 5(2014)" next year.

I like the op hope they just name it "The Nexus" though. Much cleaner and all encompassing. If they do this all they will have to do next year is make it the "Nexus" 2014 edition by Manufacturer.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I think the naming scheme Google uses for the Nexus line is just fine. I believe their is little to no confusion because the Nexus is a small and select market. Everyone in that market is way more knowledgeable than the average consumer. Nexus line doesn't not have to worry about product confusion because there product is not the scale of a mainstream product with mainstream consumers.(Nexus is not house hold name.)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AC Forums mobile app

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
qevequba.jpg

I remember seeing this a few months ago...

XT1060. Through spacetime.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Seems like they painted themselves into a corner with their naming scheme. I'm of the opinion that they'll continue referring to the number as the relative screen size. If they name it the Nexus 5, then it's because it has a near five inch screen. The fact that it's also the fifth generation Nexus will be coincidental. Assuming they don't increase the screen size to 6 inches (which at this point I'm doubting but hey, anything is possible), then next years will be the new Nexus 5 (2014). Most sites refer to the new Nexus 7 as Nexus 7 (2013). I don't see why or how a year designation would be confusing.

But anyways, if you're a real stickler for having unique names for devices then start referring to model numbers instead. Shouldn't be any confusion there. :mad:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the other posts that are thinking ahead to future models. If you drop the numbering, what do you call the model that will succeed the upcoming one? But, I can also see why a change would be needed. After the 6th generation Nexus, you don't want to confuse the phone with the tablet.

Actually, I say why not call the Nexus 1701. Then you can start with 1701-A, 1701-B, etc...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazyload03