Will the nexus 5 have some of the better moto x features?

ddorbuck

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Hey all, I know details on the nexus 5 are slim but what are the chances of it having some of the moto X features such as active notifications and
google now voice activation? I realize that google may not want to cut into the moto x market but isn't the nexus marketed to a different market?

Anyway I hope we know more details soon. I would love to have those moto x features added.

Cheers, Doug

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hey all, I know details on the nexus 5 are slim but what are the chances of it having some of the moto X features such as active notifications and
google now voice activation? I realize that google may not want to cut into the moto x market but isn't the nexus marketed to a different market?

Anyway I hope we know more details soon. I would love to have those moto x features added.

Cheers, Doug

Doubt it.

And it wouldn't make sense to do it unless the "Nexus 5" had companion cores like the Moto X does to handle those Motorola-specific additions. Software features aren't the only story when it comes to the Moto X.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm just a casual non-tech observer only guessing, but I think not. My understanding is the Moto X has extra low-powered processors that are specifically dedicated for the tasks or features you mentioned. So far as the rumors go, and my understanding of them, the Nexus 5 isn't expected to have them. There might be apps that mimic Moto X's feature pretty closely, but without the "always-on" functionality that the dedicated processors provide, I think it won't work the same.

Edit. @Ry beat me to the punch while I was responding. :) I'm glad to see I was at least in the ballpark.

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Having the same dilemma op. Love the Moto x features but also know im gonna fall for the N5. Just have to wait and see when its out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Not happening. Not only will the processor not be built to handle it (as stated above) but those are Motorola features and while Google owns them, they are still a separate company. Unless all of the leaks are incorrect LG will be making the next nexus so unfortunately no x features.

Sent from my White Moto X

Hilbe

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Active notifications require AMOLED since it lights up only pixels in use. I thought the N5 was the same/similar IPS screen to the G2, making it not possible.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Active notifications require AMOLED since it lights up only pixels in use. I thought the N5 was the same/similar IPS screen to the G2, making it not possible.

See DROID MINI, which has an LCD screen and Active Notifications.

Posted via Android Central App

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I would expect the nexus to be a nexus. Stock Google, nothing else but Google butter.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I would expect the nexus to be a nexus. Stock Google, nothing else but Google butter.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

I mean really what this question is asking is whether Google will include some of the better features into stock android.

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
See DROID MINI, which has an LCD screen and Active Notifications.

Posted via Android Central App

Yeah amoled not required but its sure a lot more power efficient. I love active notifications on my moto x. Also love my one. The n5 will be nice to add to the mix up.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Moto x features are for the motorola phones. Nothing else. Google owns moto. They are not the same company. There is not reason to expect there to be any crossover of the 2 company's dealings at this time.

Things that should not be expected in 2013 or for the foreseeable future(if ever): MOTOROLA made features(active notifications, voice control, ect.) in in any Google product, Moto made nexus, Motorola getting special treatment in any way shape or form compared to the other oems.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I believe that the internet said that the always listening type features are natively supported by the Qualcomm S800, so I don't think we have a hardware limitation there... but Google would almost be stabbing one of their revenue streams in the face by releasing a direct competitor to their subsidiary's device (with the same features), rather than than another device for a different market segment that has a distinct value appeal.

I wouldn't count anything as being off limits to Google for future Android versions, but I don't think they'll take the legs out from underneath Motorola this soon. If stock Android has all of Motorola's features, why would you want Motorola software? Of course, it would be somewhat hilarious if the entire Moto feature set was a strange kind of beta for KK features that everyone will have soon. That wouldn't make me unhappy at all. Those features rock.

drhill

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
The X's active notifications would require a framework that would allow an app to read notifications like what was released in 4.3. X's Moto Active (is that what it was called) uses features that detect driving and walking which where new to the Google Services announced back in May. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the X's software was developed for X and merged to 4.3, developed in conjunction, or developed for 4.3 and back ported to the X's 4.2 code.

The thing that did surprise me that Moto is being way to cautious about 4.3 and "not having access to Google's non released code". That is BS, there were 4.3 leaks of the S4/One Google Play editions before the X came out. They are playing it to safe to not **** off other manufacturers. It's one of two reasons why I don't have an X (the other being wireless charging).

xpeacemaker

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I fear the N5 will be huge... If as big as the GS4, I'll probably skip it... I love the Nexus family, but the X's form factor has me hooked. I am patiently waiting for VZ to release the 32gb...

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
The thing that did surprise me that Moto is being way to cautious about 4.3 and "not having access to Google's non released code". That is BS, there were 4.3 leaks of the S4/One Google Play editions before the X came out. They are playing it to safe to not **** off other manufacturers. It's one of two reasons why I don't have an X (the other being wireless charging).

The GPe phones were already running on stock aosp. It is much less difficult to update. The moto x(despite everyone saying it is because it looks like it) is not running on stock android. Moto has to write drivers for the 8x chipset that appears to be very different from you average snapdragon. Plus they have to make all those added features(and carrier bloat) work with stock android, something that the GPe phones do not have to do. The moto x's software is far from "Stock" under the hood even though it looks the same.

The moto x is not a nexus device. It is not running stock android. Unless both Google and Motorola are both bold face lying to the public, Motorola does not have access to android updates before release. The Moto X will NOT be updated like a nexus or GPe device. There is no current evidence to suggest that Google and Motorola(as companies, not forced will through replacing management) are collaborating on any software or hardware projects at this time.

The sooner everyone remembers this, the sooner expectations will become more realistic.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I fear the N5 will be huge... If as big as the GS4, I'll probably skip it... I love the Nexus family, but the X's form factor has me hooked. I am patiently waiting for VZ to release the 32gb...

If dimensions are accurate, its slightly smaller than the nexus 4.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

mabr82

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Honest answer?

None of us really know. I'd be surprised if the Google Now always on feature wasn't included.

I hate all this leaks rubbish. Let's just wait and see before writing it off.

Let's not forget the Nexus is targeted to Devs rather than mainstream users.

Let's just support Google and the Android platform. They haven't let me down so far!

Keep it secret keep it safe..... ?

drhill

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
The GPe phones were already running on stock aosp. It is much less difficult to update. The moto x(despite everyone saying it is because it looks like it) is not running on stock android. Moto has to write drivers for the 8x chipset that appears to be very different from you average snapdragon. Plus they have to make all those added features(and carrier bloat) work with stock android, something that the GPe phones do not have to do. The moto x's software is far from "Stock" under the hood even though it looks the same.

The moto x is not a nexus device. It is not running stock android. Unless both Google and Motorola are both bold face lying to the public, Motorola does not have access to android updates before release. The Moto X will NOT be updated like a nexus or GPe device. There is no current evidence to suggest that Google and Motorola(as companies, not forced will through replacing management) are collaborating on any software or hardware projects at this time.

The sooner everyone remembers this, the sooner expectations will become more realistic.

My point was Samsung and HTC had access to 4.3 before it was released (hence the leaks). No reason for Moto to not have access to it as well. I didn't say it would be a quick and easy update, but they flat out said they don't have the code.

I feel like people overestimate the effort in "making carrier bloat" and other features work on new versions. I would imagine certain "written to the metal" features like the always on voice to possibly require some work to update, but even then it would require the new android version to have specific changes that effect that feature in the kernel or APIs. Of course the horror that is ARM and non standardized drivers doesn't help, and I'm sure regression tests take up way more time then people realize as well.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
My point was Samsung and HTC had access to 4.3 before it was released (hence the leaks). No reason for Moto to not have access to it as well. I didn't say it would be a quick and easy update, but they flat out said they don't have the code.

I feel like people overestimate the effort in "making carrier bloat" and other features work on new versions. I would imagine certain "written to the metal" features like the always on voice to possibly require some work to update, but even then it would require the new android version to have specific changes that effect that feature in the kernel or APIs. Of course the horror that is ARM and non standardized drivers doesn't help, and I'm sure regression tests take up way more time then people realize as well.

Moto does not have any GPe or nexus devices, thus zero reason to have early access. Other companies mentioned do and thus have early access.

ddorbuck

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, as the original op of this thread I wanted to thank everyone for their comments and the time to post. I currently have a iphone 4s and Im pretty much done with apple so I am eagerly waiting for the new nexus 5 to show up or maybe i'll switch to the moto-x. Not sure but thanks for all the comments! Doug