What Should Nexus be?

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
There's been 1001 conversations in here about what Nexus is or what Google intends with Nexus, but none yet on what it should mean at all. I feel prompted by the recent battery discussion among others to weigh in.

Google has indeed said that Nexus is supposed to be about stretching the possibilities of what can be done with Android. I like where they've gone with that, tablet-wise, but feel like they are still somewhat missing the boat when it comes to phones. Yes, it's all about the operating system, but how do people see that when they are prominent trees in front of the forest? Android, as an operating system is plagued by several generalizations that need to be addressed, and I think that Nexus is the place to address them.

Common perceptions

Android cameras are not as good as the iPhone.
Nexus should not reinforce that. I get that this phone is indeed for (even though not only for) devs and price needs to stay down and devs should be testing code, not snapping art. However, Nexus phones have traditionally sacrificed camera for price and speed of picture-taking optimization.
Lead by showing the rest of manufacturers how to put a superior camera in without breaking the budget or abandoning performance.

Androids don't get good battery life.
If anyone has the money to do a better job than the Motorola X at beating iPhone battery performance, we know who it is. This shouldn't even be a discussion.

Android phones are too big for some people.
Yep. There should be a Nexus 5, but there should also be a new Nexus 4 that is an actual straight 4" screen. Some people have small hands. Some people have phones with small screens. Devs need to see how their apps work/look on smaller screens too. Battery life would be insane, as well.

Android doesn't "Just Work without a whole lot of fiddling"
Nexus should have a dev mode and an Easy mode for normal people.

What do you think Nexus Should be?

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I would like to see the 2 model idea. I know the Nexus is meant for devs and I'm not a dev, but I want the pure Android experience. I think the size differences would be cool, but I would also like to see a spec difference. I know many people want these devices for $299, but I'm willing to pay more to get a great camera, a big battery, and large amounts of storage. I understand that not everyone wants to drop the sort of cash that a phone with those features would cost, but I would and I like to believe that others would pay too.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I think Google set a standard when they released it and originally sold it as a developers phone. Now geeks like me wouldn't mind paying a bit more for a vanilla android device with top of the line internals to get the updates fast straight from Google. I'd much rather pay top dollar for a top of the line nexus than a google edition gs4.

So I agree with 2 versions. One inexpensive, slimmed down device for 299-349. Another souped up version for what other unlocked phones go for.

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I would like to see the 2 model idea. I know the Nexus is meant for devs and I'm not a dev, but I want the pure Android experience. I think the size differences would be cool, but I would also like to see a spec difference. I know many people want these devices for $299, but I'm willing to pay more to get a great camera, a big battery, and large amounts of storage. I understand that not everyone wants to drop the sort of cash that a phone with those features would cost, but I would and I like to believe that others would pay too.

When I think of Nexus I think of two groups of people. The devs/phone nerds and normal consumers. We already know which group is larger. And personally feel that normal consumers don't have $500-700 cash to throw on a phone. I know I don't as the only provider for a 3 family household. So I would take some "mid-range" specs in order to get a Nexus at a decent price.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

evan_adams

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Nexus isn't just for dev's. Google advertises the Nexus 7 to kids in school to search for how to ask a girl out. Nexus is the brand. Developers can go buy a "developer edition".

Google should use Nexus as the benchmark for what is expected of Android phones. It should be the Nexus vs iDevice.

Nexus should be used to keep the forking of samsung and kindle in check.

Also, google will have a commercial with the kid calling the girl to go out. Will be awesome. Or he'll gchat her or google+ hangout with her. Something awesome.

Saturn1217

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I may be biased but I really want the Nexus to be the iPhone of android. The best google has to offer in both hardware and software and widely available on all carriers but free from carrier interference (in the same way the iPhone is). I like the idea of having a high-end and low-end model as long as they aren't stratified by screen size because we have enough of that already. I would love for more consumers to get a chance to experience stock android. It would accomplish two very important things:

A) Provide incentive for google to keep improving stock android and make sure the OS is complete (some of the stock apps are almost intentionally bad or incomplete almost like google just expects no one to ever use them because the carrier will skin it or the nerds will install a 3rd party app. (calculator and calendar I'm looking at you)

B) Provide other manufacturers with the incentive to keep skins and mods reasonable. We should have options in hardware that aren't completely abused by software. To be clear I'm not against OEM skins but I'd rather they were focused on app additions and making things prettier but didn't change core functions like how the app drawer works or making folders or multi-tasking.

Maybe eventually Motorola can accomplish this for me. Their moto X was close to being my next but I just can't spend $600 (on T-mobile) for that phone when I can have a Nexus 5 for less...

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
2 versions.

1. Flagship. Best everything. 600$

2. Dev phone. Meets minimum specs for all android phones going forward. Less than 300$

That way everyone is happy. Devs have a phone. Everyone else has a flagship. And the stigma of that Google has to under price everything they sell is finally put to rest.

drhill

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps 2 simultaneous Nexus'. One mid-end with the smaller screen and one high-end with the larger screen.
Like a Nexus 4 and a Nexus 5. ;)

I think that's a great idea, but that would also signal that the Nexus line isn't a developer line at all, but a real consumer line. That would be a great idea too.

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I like most of your ideas pollster. A few comments:

Android cameras are not as good as the iPhone.
Nexus should not reinforce that. I get that this phone is indeed for (even though not only for) devs and price needs to stay down and devs should be testing code, not snapping art. However, Nexus phones have traditionally sacrificed camera for price and speed of picture-taking optimization.
Lead by showing the rest of manufacturers how to put a superior camera in without breaking the budget or abandoning performance.
Wasnt the nexus the first android with the instant shutter speed camera? Google also brought out photosphere panoramas. There is precedent for google putting nice camera features in the Nexus. Hopefully the N5 steps it up again with OIS and great optics.

Androids don't get good battery life.
If anyone has the money to do a better job than the Motorola X at beating iPhone battery performance, we know who it is. This shouldn't even be a discussion.
Yes. :)

Android phones are too big for some people.
Yep. There should be a Nexus 5, but there should also be a new Nexus 4 that is an actual straight 4" screen. Some people have small hands. Some people have phones with small screens. Devs need to see how their apps work/look on smaller screens too. Battery life would be insane, as well.
Yes. I like when Motorola said bigger isnt necessarily better. Better is better. One thing to add here just because some people want a smaller screen does *not* mean they want middling specs. Some people want a kickass phone that still fits comfortably in the hand. Manufacturers have been very one dimensional in this regard.

Android doesn't "Just Work without a whole lot of fiddling"
Nexus should have a dev mode and an Easy mode for normal people.
This is the only one I dont really agree with. Android does not need lots of fiddling. We do it because we love it but I think it works great out of the box. Essentially it is already easy mode when you buy it. Dev mode is when you unlock the bootloader and put a custom recovery on. What would you like to see in easy mode?

Google should use Nexus as the benchmark for what is expected of Android phones. It should be the Nexus vs iDevice.
I completely agree. The nexus represents the face of the android platform. Everything else is kinda android with a unique spin on the interface. Cool bro but I wanted android. I dont really recommend other phones to people because I know I would be condemning them to a phone that obsoletes itself in a year when it stops getting updates. I dont know what bugs and quirks and battery drain that manufacturer introduced while trying to "improve" android. I know what to expect from a nexus. Zero bloat and zero gimmicks.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Exactly what it is...Google's reference device delivering the latest Android software with cutting edge specs, albeit some minor caveats, at an unbelievably low price unlocked. I agree the Nexus 4/7 brought the Nexus line much more mainstream than it ever had been, but not nearly as much as some of you make it sound. For better or worse (I say the latter), you hear people say iPhone or Samsung. Rarely do I ever hear a "normal" person say Android. let alone Nexus. Google is fine with is being this way. They certainly have the means to advertise and promote Nexus as THEE Android device to get. They don't because they want to offer it very cheaply so that "every" developer will buy it and some tech savvy...or financially savvy...will get it. They make money off of ALL Android handsets...well really every single device/person that uses their services. Their business partners and OEMs are already very threatened by the Nexus line, as they should be. If they offered the next nexus with every single spec that the LG G2 had, and sold it for less, what possible incentive would LG have to build the device? They will call those GPE devces to appease the people who want a G2 with vanilla android and fast(er) updates. Google has shareholder's, like myself, to answer to as well. Do you think shareholder's would be happy if Google sold tens of millions of devices at a few dollars above cost? Selling a few million at or barely above cost to advance the platform and promote their services...in order to get more money from them...is easliy accepted by shareholders. You have to think of the big picture. That all said, I REALLY think the next Nexus smartphone, whatever it ends up being called, is going to blow all of us away! Really have to nitpick to find issues with rumored specs. Even the normal caveats seemed to be checked off. I guess as long as Google's not LOSING money on the hardware they'd like to sell as many as possible, too. It's reported they increased the price of the N7/13 to ensure they're making money off the hardware and appeasing shareholders. Here's to hoping the 32GB comes in near $400 : ) It will be mine, regardless. I'm nerding out, big time lol.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I like most of your ideas pollster. A few comments:

Wasnt the nexus the first android with the instant shutter speed camera? Google also brought out photosphere panoramas. There is precedent for google putting nice camera features in the Nexus. Hopefully the N5 steps it up again with OIS and great optics.

Yes. :)

Yes. I like when Motorola said bigger isnt necessarily better. Better is better. One thing to add here just because some people want a smaller screen does *not* mean they want middling specs. Some people want a kickass phone that still fits comfortably in the hand. Manufacturers have been very one dimensional in this regard.

This is the only one I dont really agree with. Android does not need lots of fiddling. We do it because we love it but I think it works great out of the box. Essentially it is already easy mode when you buy it. Dev mode is when you unlock the bootloader and put a custom recovery on. What would you like to see in easy mode?

I completely agree. The nexus represents the face of the android platform. Everything else is kinda android with a unique spin on the interface. Cool bro but I wanted android. I dont really recommend other phones to people because I know I would be condemning them to a phone that obsoletes itself in a year when it stops getting updates. I dont know what bugs and quirks and battery drain that manufacturer introduced while trying to "improve" android. I know what to expect from a nexus. Zero bloat and zero gimmicks.

Some very good points. I would add that the Nexus line IS the device that sets the benchmark of what Android is capable of. You will see plenty of reviews of the iPhone 5s vs. Nexus 4, or any other Android vs. Nexus 4, all the way until the next Nexus device is released. Even as unfair as it is to compare a year old device to the i5s, the Nexus 4 still gets high praises. There is no other device on Android that stays as relevant in this regard. Nexus devices really cured my new device envy, and I don't know if I would've said that was possible before I had one. Something has to be said for getting a device that is nearly guaranteed to have the latest and greatest software for 2+ years. Especially if you're in the camp that says software > hardware;) Not too mention the hardware in existance today has somewhat plateaued to the point that software is what will really set it apart. Hell, the new hardware can even run Touchwiz and LG's skin without flinching :p

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae